Do you think the people who work(ed) at Hostess...

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
Perhaps only for those who don't understand the market demand for their skills. (whether exec or line )

There is no magic. There are no secrets. The market is brutally honest. It sucks sometimes but it is most fair and transparent system developed.

And there we have it. Satire is officially dead.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
You're ignorant.

You're parroting the same idiocy people who want workers to be poor typically parrot. It's the workers' fault for wanting decent wages.

Fact is, the Wall Street management has already gone into bankruptcy twice before this; they made a deal with worker to take cuts in exchange for putting money into the company, and then reneged on the money. The current demand by management was for workers to take about another 25% cut - but at the same time workers have been taking cuts, management has shot up thier compensation, one took a 300% increase. In this bankruptcy they asked for bonuses of 25% to 75% of salary. Ya, it's the union's fault.

Demand and supply, Right now labor supply is abundant, union wants to control that. CEOs and upper management, EMBAs from Kellogg's are in short supply, meat packers and welders are not, you don't like the balance? you prefer income redistribution?

Vic Vega

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2010
Unions can't force anything on an employer, period.

Sure they can. Don't take the union deal and your entire workforce walks off the job. Do you think a company can withstand a 6 month production stoppage while they restaff? It will take a year to get everyone up to speed and years to get efficiency back. That's forcing the company to take the deal or go out of business.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Baker's Union? LOL
Factory workers at a modern food factory are not bakers... they just push some buttons.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
People need to look further into Hostess history.

Their 2004 bankruptcy lasted until 2009. At the time it was the longest bankruptcy in US history.

During the bankruptcy in 2007 they were offered a supposedly "low ball" $580million by Bimbo USA. Now instead they will be lucky to fetch $150million. Shareholders got hosed. Low level employees got hosed. Creditors got hosed. Executives, well they made out like bandits.

Even without the strike Hostess was looking at selling or winding down. Its why they sent out layoff notices to all employees in May 2012. The union strike hastened the demise but it didn't kill Hostess. Hostess probably would have had to been bought out or liquidated in either case.

And lets not forget Hostess raided the pension contributions plan to keep Hostess a float in 2011. Hostess problems were obviously more than just the unions. Im not to sure many on this board would be okay if their boss told them he was taking their personal contributions to their retirement accounts/pensions and cutting their pay by 27% over the next 5 years.

Its likely a lot of the people now out of jobs will be hired back when their plants are reopened by ConAgra or Bimbo. Some of the lesser brand will likely die off, and thus jobs relating to those will be forever gone. But the Hostess, Twinkie, and Wonder Bread brands and plants that produced theproducts will likely reopen with new owners.

Last edited:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Sure they can. Don't take the union deal and your entire workforce walks off the job. Do you think a company can withstand a 6 month production stoppage while they restaff? It will take a year to get everyone up to speed and years to get efficiency back. That's forcing the company to take the deal or go out of business.
Again, the company agrees to a contract because it is in the best interests of the shareholders to do so. If the management signs a contract that will tank the company, as many here seem to think routine, then the management is not performing its duty to shareholders and is foolish.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Perhaps only for those who don't understand the market demand for their skills. (whether exec or line )

There is no magic. There are no secrets. The market is brutally honest. It sucks sometimes but it is most fair and transparent system developed.

More clueless ideology. 'The Market' is one force, not the only one, and it's most often used to excuse screwing one group while another avoids it.

Explain to me how the executives at this company trying to get large bonuses as the company is liquidated is market forces?

This isn't about 'the market'.

It's looking more like it's about the flaws in these private capital groups.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
That's right-wing ideology, a myth, a lie, ignorance.

It's put out by the people who want to take the people's money. You fell for it.

I could explain it, I could point you to studies debunking it, but convince me you're not like other ideologues where that's a waste of time.

No you couldn't explain it, because you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You are just spouting propaganda you have been brainwashed with.

Vic Vega

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2010
Again, the company agrees to a contract because it is in the best interests of the shareholders to do so. If the management signs a contract that will tank the company, as many here seem to think routine, then the management is not performing its duty to shareholders and is foolish.

That has nothing to do with your statement that a union can't force a company to accept a contract. Yes, they can. Especially an embedded union with the non-union work force is small or nonexistent.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Wow, the talking points as well as ignorance is strong with many people in this thread.

Really folks, it's about supply and demand. If the market thinks wages should go up (exec or line worker) then they will.

The ideology is strong in your post. Some people think if they chant "supply and demand" they're Nobel Economists ready to explain how the labor issues work.

Your post is very simplistic, and wrong.

BTW, the market doesn't 'think' anything. It's not a person.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
The problem with Hostess was they had been more or less bankrupt for almost a decade and the last seven different management teams that had come and gone(each making more than the last) apparently didn't have any clue on how to fix the company.

Poor management caused the problem. The union just finished it

Last edited:

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I heard that Twinkies will still be available in Canada. Anyone know about this? Since you guys don't really need our oil anymore after that big discovery a few days ago, we can use the pipe line for twinkies. Even the natives will be ok with that.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
I heard that Twinkies will still be available in Canada. Anyone know about this? Since you guys don't really need our oil anymore after that big discovery a few days ago, we can use the pipe line for twinkies. Even the natives will be ok with that.

Other companies owns the rights or have licenses to Hostess products in other parts of the world. They will continue operating even as Hostess folds and sells off its assets. Their licenses will still be valid even when the brands are sold off, at least until the licenses expires.

For example Bimbo already owns the rights to Wonder Bread in Mexico.

Last edited:

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Other companies owns the rights or have licenses to Hostess products in other parts of the world. They will continue operating even as Hostess folds and sells off its assets. Their licenses will still be valid even when the brands are sold off, at least until the licenses expires.

For example Bimbo already owns the rights to Wonder Bread in Mexico.

I thought PBR was working on buying the rights to Hostess?

And there is a Hostess/Butternut factory in my city. Those people were not underpaid for the work they did. They could have taken a pay cut and still been ok. The union is greedy just like all unions and caused the company to fail.

How many more companies are unions going to have to bankrupt before people realize they are evil?

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
I thought PBR was working on buying the rights to Hostess?

And there is a Hostess/Butternut factory in my city. Those people were not underpaid for the work they did. They could have taken a pay cut and still been ok. The union is greedy just like all unions and caused the company to fail.

How many more companies are unions going to have to bankrupt before people realize they are evil?

So you would be okay with taking a substantial pay cut 5 years ago. Then are asked to take an even bigger pay cut over the next 5 years? All while having your pension funds being used to help float the company and having to be okay with never getting any of the money you were promised OR paid in back? I mean going $18ish to $16ish to $11ish over the course of 10 years and having you pension wiped out? Yeah I am pretty sure no one on here would agree to that. Especially when you can go on unemployment and have a decent chance of Bimbo or ConAgra reopening your plant.

Mismanagement was what sent Hostess into bankrutpcy in 2004. Its what ultimately killed the company, the Union just hammered the final nail in the coffin. Both sides are to blame.

Last edited:

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
That's right-wing ideology, a myth, a lie, ignorance.

It's put out by the people who want to take the people's money. You fell for it.

I could explain it, I could point you to studies debunking it, but convince me you're not like other ideologues where that's a waste of time.

except for the part where I saw it first hand working in a union shop in the state of california.

About 100 dollars up front fee, and a mandatory, no questions asked forced-extraction of 33% from each paycheck (which was minimum wage and/or a 13 cent raise).

But yea, it's all that right-wing mythology maaaan, totally. Your hero Krugman btw got taken for a ride on his own column and then had to delete the comments to save face. Those precious Keynsian models and fancy charts don't mean shit in the real world where people operate as discriminating individuals and not mathematically charted robots.

Nov 8, 2012
So you would be okay with taking a substantial pay cut 5 years ago. Then are asked to take an even bigger pay cut over the next 5 years? All while having your pension funds being used to help float the company and having to be okay with never getting any of the money you were promised OR paid in back? I mean going $18ish to $16ish to $11ish over the course of 10 years and having you pension wiped out? Yeah I am pretty sure no one on here would agree to that. Especially when you can go on unemployment and have a decent chance of Bimbo or ConAgra reopening your plant.

Mismanagement was what sent Hostess into bankrutpcy in 2004. Its what ultimately killed the company, the Union just hammered the final nail in the coffin. Both sides are to blame.

... The moment my paycheck starts going down, is the moment I start applying for other jobs... I don't know about you guys...

In fact, you're a DUMBASS if you don't start applying after your pay goes down. I am currently on the POSSIBLE chopping block list for layoffs where I work.... Soooo the first thing I did was dust off the resume and start shelling it out. Already received 3 callbacks. I'm not boasting, but fuck if you just sit there and jack off hoping it gets better - than the corporations will looooove you.

Last edited:

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Are you guys really arguing fault here? Management ran the company into the ground and the union pushed them past the tipping point. How on earth can you actually slice this into something where one side is "more" at fault? It seems like both sides came together to fuck themselves pretty good.

Let's move on to more interesting things, like predictions for when the union gets sued by the former employees, and on what grounds.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
except for the part where I saw it first hand working in a union shop in the state of california.

About 100 dollars up front fee, and a mandatory, no questions asked forced-extraction of 33% from each paycheck (which was minimum wage and/or a 13 cent raise).

I'm open to anecdotes of a bad union experience. But anecodtes don't change the fact unions are great for workers. What company? Links to info?

But yea, it's all that right-wing mythology maaaan, totally. Your hero Krugman btw got taken for a ride on his own column and then had to delete the comments to save face. Those precious Keynsian models and fancy charts don't mean shit in the real world where people operate as discriminating individuals and not mathematically charted robots.

Again, link to Krugman 'having to delete his comments'?

No, it's the right-wing ideology that doesn't work in the real world, Keynes does.

Nov 8, 2012
I'm open to anecdotes of a bad union experience. But anecodtes don't change the fact unions are great for workers. What company? Links to info?

Again, link to Krugman 'having to delete his comments'?

No, it's the right-wing ideology that doesn't work in the real world, Keynes does.

Unions are everything wrong and bad. Kills relationships. No health improvement (which is what it was originally made for). It just creates more conflicts. More ways to sneak money. More ways to threaten. Yet as proof from this - more ways to mess everything up.