Do you think the 2004 US Presidential race will be close?

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: Dr Smooth
Bush Campaign Manager Sees Tough Race.. I am not sure because Bush has a huge amount of money for the campaign and no republican is going to oppose him.

What do you think?

It might look like Bush is raising a large amount of cash, until you look at the total raised by the current 9 democratic hopefulls.

The Democrats have to survive, pay for, the primary process before they get to GWB.

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
I think by the new McCain-Feingold Campaign Financing Law, the Bush campaign is required to spend ALL the money they're raising now by the end of the primary season. It can't be used for the general election. I read somewhere that they plan to use the money to register three million new Republicans before the general election begins.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Bush Campaign Manager Sees Tough Race.. I am not sure because Bush has a huge amount of money for the campaign and no republican is going to oppose him.

What do you think?

It might look like Bush is raising a large amount of cash, until you look at the total raised by the current 9 democratic hopefulls.

You know Bush will outfund whatever dem is the candidate by at least 50 million like in the last election.

I think bush will win like Bush 1.0 did in 88. The dems will take CA, MN and maybe New York if thier lucky. Bush has a very powerful message and if he has Paul Bremer out there at all campaigning it will be a landslide. This guy makes me swoon.

zantac

Jun 15, 2003
It really depends on who gets the dem ticket, if it is someone like gephardt, bush will get it in a heartbeat, gephardt was a terrible majority and minority leader in the house, thank god that idiot resigned. just think what he could do as pres
rolleye.gif

jahawkin

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2000

What do you think?

And that might look like alot of money, until you look at how much $$$ Bush intends to raise.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: Zebo

What do you think?

You know Bush will outfund whatever dem is the candidate by at least 50 million like in the last election.

I think bush will win like Bush 1.0 did in 88. The dems will take CA, MN and maybe New York if thier lucky. Bush has a very powerful message and if he has Paul Bremer out there at all campaigning it will be a landslide. This guy makes me swoon.

I think the election will be determined by the state of the economy. If the voters think the economy is sweet the US will see four more years of Compassionate Conservatism..

But Bush would benefit if there is a terror threat, event in the US say in June 2004.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
I think the race will be close because the nation is split about 50/50 politically and I don't expect that to have changed much by the next election. If the economy is still sick and the Democrat candidate is decent, then it will be even closer.

It also depends if a third party like Nader runs again.

Michael

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Michael
I think the race will be close because the nation is split about 50/50 politically and I don't expect that to have changed much by the next election. If the economy is still sick and the Democrat candidate is decent, then it will be even closer.

Michael

Nader? You don't think a Libertarian Candidate would have a bigger affect?

I believe the 50/50 split is accurate and many people are looking a lot more seriously at the Libertarian Party. Both the Incumbent Dem and Rep Parties have become so close in maligned with the general populice that another Party rising would actually be viewed as the new 2nd Party.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Michael

Nader? You don't think a Libertarian Candidate would have a bigger affect?

I believe the 50/50 split is accurate and many people are looking a lot more seriously at the Libertarian Party. Both the Incumbent Dem and Rep Parties have become so close in maligned with the general populice that another Party rising would actually be viewed as the new 2nd Party.

There appears to be far more discontent voters in the democratic party, than in the republican party. MOst of the libertarian leaning republican I know will only vote for a libertarian when they know the democrat running cant win.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Michael

Not only will the economy have to be bad, the democrats will have to field a plan to fix the economy.

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
Bush should win easily....but it wont be a landslide.

The Democrats are in such disarray...it's almost comical.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
I think that the Libertarian Party is a small party that will have no chance of affecting the election.

I actually think much worse things about the Libertarian Party, but I don't want this thread to become another flame war.

Michael

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001

Michael

Not only will the economy have to be bad, the democrats will have to field a plan to fix the economy.

What's this? You mean they will have to actually put forth something meaningful? Field candidates that have something to offer besides criticism, raising taxes or promising to overturn Supreme Court decisions? Say it ain't so!

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I think that the democratic process has been crushed by money. Money controls who runs and who you can vote for. People try to reform the process with campaign reform and voting reforms to change the winner take all to promote third parties. None of it has a chance because of money. Money bought the right to speak, money bought immortality in the form of a corporation is an individual. Politics has become who can smear whom the best to drive of sane voters leaving only the psychopathically committed. Americans are only cattle in the box car now, only along for the ride. We do not vote because it doesn't matter. There is nobody to vote for. Only scum and the bought can run and hope to win. The people are completely without hope. The hopeless choose death, so our country will die, is dying, right before your eyes. Do you see?

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
I think that the democratic process has been crushed by money

I agree with that. I didn't bother to read the rest of our post because I'm sure it's more of the same and according to you I'm not smart enough to understand it anyway.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Ultra Quiet

I agree with that. I didn't bother to read the rest of our post because I'm sure it's more of the same and according to you I'm not smart enough to understand it anyway.

Money and poltics has always been a problem. There is no way to seperate the two, I am just surprised that people think this is a new issue. However both parties get the bulk of their money from small donors(those contributing a a couple hundred bucks)

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
No, it's not going to be close. Bush will win by a landslide. No need for Republicans to donate cash or come out and vote ;)

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Democrat will win in 2004.. if there is an actual election.

Bush's economic "policy" doesn't work and people are going to be sick of the Iraq situation after another year of daily casualties and little to show for the loss.

Not to mention that as election day gets close, the issue of whether or not Bush actually was elected president the last time will be a huge issue. It's hard to say what the effect will be, it will probably motivate Republicans and Democrats to vote in higher numbers than has been the trend, if that happens the Democrats will be helped more since there are more Democrats overall.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Ferocious

Hey when it was announced Dubya was going to run there was laughter and he still ended up winning.

conbon

Jul 26, 2003
hmm...unless something drastic happens and we get someone great to run...i see it as the choice between a rock and a hard place. oh wait, those are essentially the same thing.

of course, afterwards we'll all say we should have voted for the other candidate and/or start singing the praises of the previous president. they always seem better ex post facto, right? c'est la vie.

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000

But Bush would benefit if there is a terror threat, event in the US say in June 2004.

Funny you mention this. I was watching MSNBC the other night and they had a guy on who is an ex-intelligence officer who now does legal work to open classified documents. Olberman said he was "eerily right" about many things that would happen months down the line. He lives in the Tampa area (where CentCom and Special Ops Command are located) and said two very interesting things:

a) CentCom is pretty sure they did get Saddam on the first night of the war. They think he was taken by Russian doctors and buried at the Russian Embassay in Baghdad.

b) They know exactly where the WMDs are, they were transported to various neighboring countries. The Administration won't let this out until the heat of election season next year.

Take it for what it's worth, but Keith Olbermann seemed genuinely impressed with the leaks this guy has been able to produce.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: Ferocious

Hey when it was announced Dubya was going to run there was laughter and he still ended up winning.

I remember people saying he was stupid, well some people are still saying that... But the 2000 election was his to lose. To win, all the republicans had to do was put up a moderate sounding candidate, run against Clinton, and brand Gore as being a liar.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Ultra Quiet

OK I'll bite, what did I say now. Was this some comment I made to you personally, which I'm rather sure I never did, or is this something I may have addressed generally to the more conservative crowd?

Bu the way, alot of what I say can't be understood, but it's not for a lack of brains. It's from a lack of introspection and experience with unconscious feeling. And a lot of points I make come from sources way deeper than me. My appologies of somehow you have felt insulted. It's not easy figuring out if that my fault or the horror that is the truth. Help me out.