Do you think that the PS3 is actually really expensive?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

doze

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
Everybody seems to forget that $600 wont even get you any games. New games will be $50~60 each so essentially a PS3 with 4 games + tax will cost about $900. The bluray feature is nice but if it doesn't catch on then it will be as useful as a Beta VCR or Laser disc player in a few years.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: doze
Everybody seems to forget that $600 wont even get you any games. New games will be $50~60 each so essentially a PS3 with 4 games + tax will cost about $900. The bluray feature is nice but if it doesn't catch on then it will be as useful as a Beta VCR or Laser disc player in a few years.

so what? i can buy what games i want.

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
Originally posted by: Locut0s
Originally posted by: MS Dawn

Didn't they do the same with the 360 when it was launched?

Yes they did. They will do it again.

Now I think this guy went a little too far with his PSP. That's borderline psychotic. Nevertheless the destructive tendancy is great.
We will never lose control of the Machine

:laugh:

Yes it is fun to watch someone blow up an expensive piece of pop culture hardware. Still you've got to wonder what's going through their minds financially. Why not just make a video of yourself burning 6 100 dollar bills? And sure it may be fun to do and film but even if you have the money to spend it's still 600 bucks shredded.

Oops should'a followed the link. I see it's donated $. That's much more understandable then.
Just goes to the pathetic passive nature of those internet folk.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: chambersc

Now I think this guy went a little too far with his PSP. That's borderline psychotic. Nevertheless the destructive tendancy is great.

Yes it is fun to watch someone blow up an expensive piece of pop culture hardware. Still you've got to wonder what's going through their minds financially. Why not just make a video of yourself burning 6 100 dollar bills? And sure it may be fun to do and film but even if you have the money to spend it's still 600 bucks shredded.

Oops should'a followed the link. I see it's donated $. That's much more understandable then.

Well true but it's not one persons personal 600 bucks.

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
Originally posted by: chambersc

Well true but it's not one persons personal 600 bucks.

I'm making a sweeping generalization about all of the people that donated any money towards any of the smashmy*.com websites.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
It's more than I want to spend, because I don't have an HDTV nor will I have one for a few years. I'll buy one in a few years.

I could easily afford it, and I've spent a lot of money on video games in the last year, but I think my money is better spent on the Wii and Xbox 360.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Even if you pay $1000 for a turd sculpture, it's still a turd sculpture. Why do you think the PS3 is cheaper because it can play BD-ROMs? Maybe if somebody actually plans to do so...

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001
for $600, you can buy an entire gaming PC that can perform similarly to spec and can do alot more. The whole point of a gaming console is to strip away all the other crap of a PC and be cheaper because of it. In the end, you have a system that can do a whole bunch of diluted crap about half-way to a computer for the same price.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: ed21x
for $600, you can buy an entire gaming PC that can perform similarly to spec and can do alot more. The whole point of a gaming console is to strip away all the other crap of a PC and be cheaper because of it. In the end, you have a system that can do a whole bunch of diluted crap about half-way to a computer for the same price.

You can't build an entire gaming PC that is comparable to the PS3 for $600.
$50 case
$50 motherboard
$100 RAM
$100 video card
$100 hard drive
$50 optical drive
$100 CPU
$150 XP license
That's $700 and it's going to be a pretty crappy gaming system.

I believe it is estimated that the PS3 costs Sony $800-900 to build. (suckers)

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by: mugs

$50 case
$50 motherboard
$100 RAM
$100 video card
$100 hard drive
$50 optical drive
$100 CPU
$150 XP license

If you salvage a current system you could get by on a mobo, cpu, ram, video. It would be competitive.

May 16, 2000
I think it's over the top. If you want a computer, buy a computer. Consoles should be cheap, pure gaming rigs. Period.

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Originally posted by: hans030390
Considering it uses blu-ray (which a player alone is $1000) and top of the line hardware (cell), I don't see $600 as being overpriced.

Expensive, yes...overpriced, no.

In a few months, blueray players will be MUCH less, but the PS3 will sell for the same price.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
yes it's pretty damn expensive for a gaming console - its other features are irrelevant to me. but then I like PS? rpgs...

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001

$50 case
$50 motherboard
$100 RAM
$100 video card
$100 hard drive
$50 optical drive
$100 CPU
$150 XP license

the case, RAM, HD, optical drive, CPU, and XP license (for the home version) are all cheaper than the price you listed. For $700, you can easily get a decent dual-core SLI system at http://www.cyberpowerpc.com that can hand the PS3's ass back to it.

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
umm isnt 20gb version $500? why would anyone buy 60gb version for $600? Sorry, am I missing something? (don't know anything bout consoles)

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
the things that makes the PS3 worth it is that there is already linux for it. get that, mythTV and some USB tv tuners and you have a $600 HTPC that plays Blu-Ray.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
According to Sony's website,

PLAYSTATION®3 hard disk drive is removable and upgradable. You can upgrade the drive by removing the hard drive and replacing it with a larger capacity drive.
I don't know if that's a SATA or PATA, or what hoops you'll have to jump through to partition and format it.

So unless you want WiFi and a memory card reader, the $499 version plus a $40 hard drive would be your best bet. Throw in $25 for the Blu-Ray Remote control and $60 per game.

That's way more than I'm willing to spend on a game machine. I don't even have a HDTV, and probably won't for at least 2 more years.

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
Originally posted by: nsafreak
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: everman
You pretty much need the 60gb version if more games have an install option like genji (I think that's the game, 4GB installation). It's way too much for a game console, but a pretty good deal for a home theatre enthusiast who wants a nice blu-ray deal.

The game lineup is the ultimate determinant of success though, doesn't look great right now compared to the competition.

the only reason i will buy a PS3 eventually is that playstation usually has more RPG's. Not just the FF series.

PS2/1 had the old FF series (man i love those) and the dragon warrior/quest series. etc

though the xbox 360 does have FF xii (i think) its a good start.

The thing is that SquareSoft has already announced a while back that they will not maintain FF titles exclusively to the PS series of systems. You're going to see more releases for the Wii, 360, DS and perhaps the previous gen consoles over time. The DS has FF3 coming out for it (glad I have it on reserve, looking good) and there are other FF games coming out for the other consoles. While Squaresoft is far from the only RPG maker for consoles they aren't the only ones that are making RPGs for the other systems.

Great to hear. Looking forward to the Wii.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

$50 case
$50 motherboard
$100 RAM
$100 video card
$100 hard drive
$50 optical drive
$100 CPU
$150 XP license

revised version:

$50 case
$100 CPU + mobo (athlon 3400+ + mobo @ NE)
$70-100 on ram depending on what you buy
$100 hdd
$150 XP license
$100 7600GT (pretty good if you ask me, my x850 still does most things at 1280x1024)

total: $600

edit: HTF does cyberpowerpc offer that stuff for so cheap? those are SMOKING deals. is the place legit?:confused: my next PC might be from them just so i can save a crapload of $$

i know some of it is barebones style, but still - im still pretty impressed for some reason.. maybe im missing something.

Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
revised version:

$50 case
$100 hdd
$150 XP license
$100 7600GT (pretty good if you ask me, my x850 still does most things at 1280x1024)

+ $800 BD-ROM drive

total: $1500

The bottom line is if you are interested in BD playback, it's a fantastic deal. If you aren't, it isn't.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: KnightBreed
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
revised version:

$50 case
$100 hdd
$150 XP license

+ $800 BD-ROM drive

total: $1500

The bottom line is if you are interested in BD playback, it's a fantastic deal. If you aren't, it isn't.

:thumbsup: Plus it's not really fair to compare it to a gaming PC because you can't use it like a desktop computer (aside from the Linux distro that they have for it). imo not worth it, but that's because spending $600 on a game system is too expensive for me. $99 used Xbox ftw :)