Do you think that the PS3 is actually really expensive?

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Yes sure it IS expensive. I mean 600+ bucks for a console is nothing to laugh at and it's been some time before we've seen any console in that ball park. However when you think about what you are getting is it really that expensive? Current stand alone blu-ray players are in the $800-$1000+ range. With the PS3 you get a blue-ray player plus the console and a number of extras. Granted it all depends on whether you care to play Blu-Ray movies or not, or care for any of the extras like music, video and photo playback all of which the 360 also offers. So what do you think of its price?

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
The guys on smashmyps3.com are going to break theirs in the parking lot on nov. 17th. I've got dibbs on the blue laser diode. :Q

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
it's stupifyingly expensive.

but so is lots of other stuff, like $6 coffee.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: MS Dawn
The guys on smashmyps3.com are going to break theirs in the parking lot on nov. 17th. I've got dibbs on the blue laser diode. :Q

Didn't they do the same with the 360 when it was launched?

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
No, it's not expensive, but it's only really worth it if you like Blu-Ray and think it's going to win over HD-DVD. in contrast, xbox360's HDDVD player is $200.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Yes it is expensive, unless you want a BluRay player.
But soon enough Bluray players will drop in price, whereas the PS3 won't.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Locut0s

Yes they did. They will do it again.

Now I think this guy went a little too far with his PSP. That's borderline psychotic. Nevertheless the destructive tendancy is great.
We will never lose control of the Machine

:laugh:

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: MS Dawn
Originally posted by: Locut0s

Yes they did. They will do it again.

Now I think this guy went a little too far with his PSP. That's borderline psychotic. Nevertheless the destructive tendancy is great.
We will never lose control of the Machine

:laugh:

Yes it is fun to watch someone blow up an expensive piece of pop culture hardware. Still you've got to wonder what's going through their minds financially. Why not just make a video of yourself burning 6 100 dollar bills? And sure it may be fun to do and film but even if you have the money to spend it's still 600 bucks shredded.

Oops should'a followed the link. I see it's donated $. That's much more understandable then.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
This performance war is out of control. Game console's used to offer better-than-PC graphics for less than the cost of the cheapest PC.

The XBOX 360's $300 was right on the money, though still not as much value as the $400 package.

THANK GOD for Nintendo!

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
Considering it uses blu-ray (which a player alone is $1000) and top of the line hardware (cell), I don't see $600 as being overpriced.

Expensive, yes...overpriced, no.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Not compared to a gaming PC, the one I built in April was about $1,800.

Not if you want a blu-ray player within the next year (and FYI Netflix is renting blu-ray and HD-DVD discs without any extra fee)

Not if there are enough new games, and if (unlike Xbox360) the backwards compatibility is more than half-working.

I do have a decent job and a 50" 1080p DLP TV though.

walkur

May 1, 2001
I was planning on buying it right after the release, but after Sony decided to f#ck Europe over again, i've decided to boycot them.

[rant]
Stupid pricks in the entertaintment industry, no wonder everyone copies everything, having to wait 6 months until they finally release the stuff in europe (ofcourse only when it makes a profit in the US/japan).
[/rant]

akubi

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
if it were $500 on release it would be a no brainer buy for me.
at $600, i'd still grudgingly buy one.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
yeap $600 for a gaming machine is far to much. I will buy a Wii and xbox360. i do not give 2 shits about blu-ray

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
You pretty much need the 60gb version if more games have an install option like genji (I think that's the game, 4GB installation). It's way too much for a game console, but a pretty good deal for a home theatre enthusiast who wants a nice blu-ray deal.

The game lineup is the ultimate determinant of success though, doesn't look great right now compared to the competition.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: everman
You pretty much need the 60gb version if more games have an install option like genji (I think that's the game, 4GB installation). It's way too much for a game console, but a pretty good deal for a home theatre enthusiast who wants a nice blu-ray deal.

The game lineup is the ultimate determinant of success though, doesn't look great right now compared to the competition.

the only reason i will buy a PS3 eventually is that playstation usually has more RPG's. Not just the FF series.

PS2/1 had the old FF series (man i love those) and the dragon warrior/quest series. etc

though the xbox 360 does have FF xii (i think) its a good start.

akubi

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Originally posted by: waggy

the only reason i will buy a PS3 eventually is that playstation usually has more RPG's. Not just the FF series.

PS2/1 had the old FF series (man i love those) and the dragon warrior/quest series. etc

xbox360 has ff12? that's news to me... i have it for ps2.

ChaoZ

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2000

FF11, which has been out for years. So far, FF12 is exclusive to PS2.

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001

The thing is that SquareSoft has already announced a while back that they will not maintain FF titles exclusively to the PS series of systems. You're going to see more releases for the Wii, 360, DS and perhaps the previous gen consoles over time. The DS has FF3 coming out for it (glad I have it on reserve, looking good) and there are other FF games coming out for the other consoles. While Squaresoft is far from the only RPG maker for consoles they aren't the only ones that are making RPGs for the other systems.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: ChaoZ

FF11, which has been out for years. So far, FF12 is exclusive to PS2.

knew it was one of them.

they were saying they were going to try to get them all also. that would be great.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
They'll need more than RPGs. If the DS is any indication, RPGs aren't the only thing that can make a console #1 in japan. In the US the 360 is well established for sports and shooters, and a bit of RPGs too. The PS3 will need a lot of exclusive titles to succeed imo, and developers will be less likely to give them that kind of deal because of shortages.