Do you think someone is stealing my cable?

cy7878

Jul 2, 2003
My cable is spliced into 2 cables, 1 goes to the modem and the other to my AIW9600 so I can watch TV. I pay for both data and basic cable service, so I'm not "stealing"anything. Recently I have been getting dropped signals on my modem. I found the problem to be the spliced signal. Where it used to work, now it doesn't. So I can't watch TV on my AIW anymore because that risks losing data connection.

I know if the signal is spliced too much, then the signal isn't strong enough. But since data and video come from different bandwidths, I don't understand why the splicer would make a difference? I tried different splicers, so I know that is not the problem. Can someone be stealing my signal from the outside?? Any cable guru wants to comment?

Hyperfocal

Oct 8, 2003
It could be an old cable leading into your home. One of the connections may have corroded and the signal is being degraded. Who knows, a squirrel may have chewed on the line.

If things don't improve, call the cable company and have them come out to check the signal level.

cy7878

Jul 2, 2003
Thanks for the reply. I live in a new community. I think I will call the cable company out to check things out.

Cheetah8799

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2001
Originally posted by: cy7878
Thanks for the reply. I live in a new community. I think I will call the cable company out to check things out.

If it's a new cable setup, then you shouldn't be having problems with only one splice.

See what the cable company says.

Helcul

Jul 14, 2004
During the summer at one one house I lived at, the hardware outside overheated went bad. The cable company tech came and plugged his laptop into the network ahead of that hardware and verified that it was faulty. I was pissed because they took several weeks to replace the hardware. Definitely have them come and check the signal strength.

Another house I lived at we had a long run of about 150feet from the street to the house. We used a splitter/amplifier from radioshack which boosted the signal while splitting it. We noticed a significant difference when we cracked the amplifier up. If it works fine upstream of your splitter, boosting the split signal may be all you need.