Do you think Romney was being racist for his 'angry' statement directed at Obama?

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Now racism isn't in short supply within the Republican party. It's been a subtle tactic sometimes and a blatant tactic others. And it's been used against Obama many times by the GOP since he was elected President. So I can understand how as a result some people just see racism everywhere, because sometimes it feels like it is everywhere. However calling him angry doesn't evoke any racial overtones that I can see. Calling his campaign angry seems kinda silly to me as Obama is usually one of the most emotionally level individuals I've seen.

Then again, Romney's campaign has at this point surpassed any previous Presidential hopeful's campaign in the sheer number of lies it's told. So throwing angry out there is just a small drop in the bucket.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Now racism isn't in short supply within the Republican party. It's been a subtle tactic sometimes and a blatant tactic others. And it's been used against Obama many times by the GOP since he was elected President. So I can understand how as a result some people just see racism everywhere, because sometimes it feels like it is everywhere. However calling him angry doesn't evoke any racial overtones that I can see. Calling his campaign angry seems kinda silly to me as Obama is usually one of the most emotionally level individuals I've seen.

Then again, Romney's campaign has at this point surpassed any previous Presidential hopeful's campaign in the sheer number of lies it's told. So throwing angry out there is just a small drop in the bucket.

Because The canidate of each side knows and 100% agrees with each campaign tactic used... No. Obama may seem emotionally level, but the democratic campaign isn't. Using the Olympics in a campaign ad on t.v. is very low and had no reason to be in a presidental campaign battle, yet they went that way. (was shelved after 1 day of showing as The olympic committee and London were NOT happy with that)

So calling the campaign angry isn't calling the canidate angry. But from what I have seen, some of the ads have been wrong on both sides, and can agree with the term "angry" when it comes to either campaign. However, this in no way shape or form has anything to do with either's race. And thinking that is a silly notion.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
The funny part to me it that you have to be so careful about what the whole controversy is about. You can't even post it or quote it unless you agree with Toure, that if you quoted it here and actually had a discussion about it in these forums you'd most likely be banned.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

And sadly, the Obama campaign is trying to compete with Romney's - to the point that I don't feel like voting for either of them.

Blessed are those that don't live in a 'swing' state.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
And sadly, the Obama campaign is trying to compete with Romney's - to the point that I don't feel like voting for either of them.

Blessed are those that don't live in a 'swing' state.

Not really. I'm a solid liberal living in a very red state. I'm not blessed at all, I'm surrounded by people who annoy me and on occasion get into stupid arguments on my facebook.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Given Romney's track record at shooting himself in the foot with what he says.... do you really think he is capable of using "coded racist meessages"?

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
MSNBC at their finest. Any criticism towards Obama is racist. Using the word ANGRY is racial coding? Give me a fuckin break.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Of course he was. Angry scary black man. Dog whistle at it'a best. Why do you think he chose those words. If you watch any Obama interview, I don't think anyone could describe him as angry.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
If they think romney is racist, wait until they think about what biden said about putting blacks back in chains.

EDIT - Just watched the video, that black guy just got torn a new one. I didnt even know MSNBC allowed intelligent people on their shows.

Last edited:

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
No. I don't think Romney can commit enough to be racist.

Also he seems kind of clueless fairly often when it comes to social situations.

And that contributes to his gaffs

Like a highly functional person with a very mild touch of Asperger's syndrome.

I don't think he's any more bigoted than an average person.

Just socially clueless a lot of the times.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Not really. I'm a solid liberal living in a very red state. I'm not blessed at all, I'm surrounded by people who annoy me and on occasion get into stupid arguments on my facebook.

I'm a conservative living in California, cry me a river.

Thanks thraash!

Last edited:

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

Better than being bombed by endless stupid ads. Fortunately, we have a DVR.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Perhaps if we looked at this with a little understanding of human psychology we could make some sense of it.

Children with a high startle reflex and are fearful tend to grow up conservative. They have a larger portion of the brain that deals with fear and a smaller portion that moderates emotional reactions.

Republican politicians know themselves and use what pushes their buttons to get their folk to the poles. There is nothing to fear but fear itself but the symptom of fear is rage. So by making a conservative feel fear you also make him feel rage and just by doing this you can make him fear rage itself. So to freak out a conservative you simply have to suggest that somebody you want him to hate is angry. Lacking any scientific knowledge of how the mind works, science is evil to them, and lacking any internal intuition or self reflection, it's very easy to manipulate conservative voters.

Black folk, naturally have their own fears, but ones that are objective and real. Conservatives constantly use them to scare themselves. And naturally, of course, there are a lot of black people who, because they are used as tools, get angry about it, just as any other person used as a butt would.

This feature of conservatives is of course disgusting, but is a product of their own capacity for disgust caused by their innate fearfulness. They were dealt lemons by nature but they use them to make lemonade. They aren't stupid.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Children with a high startle reflex and are fearful tend to grow up conservative. They have a larger portion of the brain that deals with fear and a smaller portion that moderates emotional reactions.

What....? You literally like to grasp at silly unproven straws, that probably has nothing to do with government on some of your posts about "psycology/personality/whatever people in different parties"

If I had to call myself something it would be a republican, but I do not follow this trend you have foolishly stated.

I also believe in a harmony between the 2 parties using a different parties stance based on which topic is at hand. Believing everything 1 certain party has to offer is ignorance at best. Some topics I agree with liberals that would be the best option. Some topics I agree with conservatives that would be the best option.

Also the "timeframe" of when which party in power makes a difference too. Heading into, and in a recession? Normally a liberal governments economy helps it recover faster (although causes some downturn first usually). While an economy heading to prosperity and in prosperity, a conservative government economy is better to hold onto and lengthen it as much as possible (although it doesn't spike as high, and averages it out for a longer time period)

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
No. I don't think Romney can commit enough to be racist.

Haha....this. Romney is trying to take the moral high ground through false pretenses. His message doesn't seem racist to me. It seems like he is a kid at the playground yelling for the teacher and asking the teacher to "make him stop picking on me" to get the other kid (Obama) in trouble. It really is bizarre. Obama's been treating Romney with kid gloves so far.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The county I live in is pretty conservative, in fact most counties in California are conservative. It's the State that is so blue. The Thraashman talked about his State, not his county.
Older red/blue county map of California.
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2002/pages/states/CA/G/00/map.html

Too bad for Righties that elections are determined by votes rather than acreage, huh?

Actually, the electoral college is kinda like that...

People who aren't fearful racists won't see Romney's remarks as racist. It won't affect them at all. Those who are will be affected at a subconscious level.

It's subtle, more subtle than Toure claims, more subtle than Willie Horton, that's for sure...