Do you think my teacher was too harsh?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: PowerMac4Ever
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Originally posted by: DrumminBoy
I thought about splitting hairs with her over the requirements sheet she gave us for the paper. First of all, it said the paper had to be in at 10:00 AM, no excuses, but the class doesnt start till 10:05, so technically nobody turned in the paper on time according to the sheet she gave us. Secondly, it said "any paper turned in after 10:00 will be an automatic C." I didn't get a C, I got a D+, which means she didnt go along with her own requirements. If shes gonna be black and white with her rules, I should be too :disgust:

You're such a tool.
rolleye.gif
You fvcked up, be a man and live up to your mistake you fvcking pussy.
You're a little bitch.

I will agree that the teacher was too harsh. But, it's only high school. You'll laugh once you realize how much high school is worthless when you're in college.

You're fvcking right - I am. You know what? I missed so many classes during high school I was reforced to take classes. I missed a final exam in my Economics 102 class and got a D+ in that class. I've made plenty of mistakes in high school and college - but I owned up to it. Why? Because life hands you circumstances you cannot control. I don't search through syllabi looking for loopholes or ways out of things - I suck it up and own up to it. This guy is a whiny little procrastinator who got fvcked by the circumstances that he, nor anyone else can control, and is trying to worm his way to a better grade. Is his teacher a prick? Maybe, not as big a prick as I am though. Did he deserve the grade he got? Yes. End of story.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
I work in a college computing lab (it's a great part-time job for spending money) and you'd be amazed at how often people try things like this. There are 3 printers and 120 computers. Finals week the printers typically have a 20-40 minute backlog and people will come in 5 minutes before class to print something out and then get angry at us because we can't magically make the printers run 300x faster.

ZV

brjames

Apr 25, 2001
Totally out of line. What's the purpose behind a hard deadline? In school its to make sure that everyone has an equal amount of time to complete the assignment. I could see where she might have a point if the assignment could have been done in an hour, but a 7-8 page paper that you just had to go home and print? It's moronic.

The part about "preparing for college" is such BS. There are professors that are hard-ass about stuff like that, but they're typically engineering professors, and they usually mandate turning it in online. If the internet goes out, you better believe there's class-wide extension coming out. For an arts paper? I haven't had a single prof that would complain about an hour over due.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: DrumminBoy
Story:
For my English 4 Honors class, we had to write a 7-8 page paper on one of the books we've read this year. The paper was worth 200 points, and had to be turned in at 10:05 AM on the morning it was due. I stayed up late the night before finishing it, and thought I did a pretty good job. When I got done, I uploaded the file to my 1and1 account, planning to print it at school in programming class the next day as I've done for all of my papers this year. Well, it just so happened that the internet was down in our school that day, so when I found out, I drove home, threw the file on a floppy, and went back to school, planning to print it in the library. I get on a computer, and it wont read the file. I tried 3 more computers, all with different versions of MS word, and it would not open. I went and told my English teacher, because by this time it was well past 10:05, and there was no way I would get it printed by the end of the period. She told me to get it to her by the end of the day, so I went and got paper and printed it at home, and gave it to her about an hour later. I knew she would dock me somewhat, I figured maybe 5-10 points, because it was obvious I had the paper done and wasnt trying to get out of turning it in. Well today I went and got the paper and...she took 50 points off. My B+ turned into a D+ :| Doesn't this seem a little harsh? She said shes trying to make it just like college, so we'll be prepared next year. I understand its important to get us prepared for college, but we're not there yet. Honestly, I don't feel like 1/4 of my points should be lost because it was an hour late.

Cliff Notes:
Turned in High School English paper 1 hour late, got 50/200 points docked.

if she wanted to make it more like college, then tell her that english profs dont take points off for 1 hr late. and that if the grade was going to go down, it needs to be in a prepared statement such as a syllabus which defines specific terms of grade and deduction. if no such syllabus was prepared, take it to the head of the department. note, students (most likely their parents) have hired attorneys in the past with respect to this type of case. the argument was that there was no prepared syllabus for this type of deduction. if there was such a syllabus, you're screwed. this is why profs in college give a syllabus in the form of a piece of paper. this type of stuff goes through real channels if there are disputes. and the syllabus is the only thing the prof has to stand on.

--

also, you're the idiot that didnt print a copy at home. depending on the type of paper, i have often printed 2 copies just in case something goes wrong.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
Typically my profs would let me turn stuff in and dock me 1 letter grade. Don't argue with her, just take it and keep on going. My recommendation is to get a printer at home.

Ryan