Do you think my teacher was too harsh?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Lesson #2: Don't expect forgiveness EVER. If you are going to miss a deadline through what you perceive to NOT be your fault. Get the reasons documented.

i.e. get a note from the school sysadmin that the internet is down and that the common practice of printing at school has been inadvertantly lost. Refer back to rule #1 get this to your boss/teacher/supervisor BEFORE the deadline.

Ynog

Golden Member
Oct 9, 2002
Originally posted by: RedPickle
First it was your fault for procrastinating, you will learn that in college. Second, she was not too harsh. Sometimes late in college = failed paper.

I know of professors that just won't accept the paper after a certain point.
While it was definatley harsh, late is late.

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003
Listen dude, your teacher was way too harsh. I mean, you're in Honors class. What was she thinking? She probably didn't want you to succeed. The lower grade will make it harder for you to get into the school of your choice. But she doesn't see it that way. Its her way of getting back at all those teachers she had who didn't cut her any breaks. I mean, if she had better grades or if she was smarter, she wouldn't be teaching highschool. She'd be a University Professor or Rocket Scientist. You get the drift. She's just making you feel low so she can feel better about herself. I see it all the time.

Being in Honors class is a good indication that you'd do well. Don't let this setback put you down too much. Just hate her a little and move on. There are other classes to conquer.

If I was your teacher, I'd give you an A just for being in Honor's class. I mean, the students in that class aren't the idiots of the school and they are far more independent. The other kids who take the lessor classes get easy As which is just unfair sometimes. I had an english teacher who gave us all A's and B's because it was an Honor's class. He was nice to all the students. That's how it should be. They don't just let anyone get into Honor's class at my old high school though, you needed the good grades to show you will be able to do well in it.
Anyway, that grade helps when you're applying for College. It allowed the students a better chance at a good college. Its in college that you define yourself. I still thank my teacher for that A. Took the same teacher for AP Govt and Economics too.
;)

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: cheapbidder01
Listen dude, your teacher was way too harsh. I mean, you're in Honors class. What was she thinking? She probably didn't want you to succeed. The lower grade will make it harder for you to get into the school of your choice. But she doesn't see it that way. Its her way of getting back at all those teachers she had who didn't cut her any breaks. I mean, if she had better grades or if she was smarter, she wouldn't be teaching highschool. She'd be a University Professor or Rocket Scientist. You get the drift. She's just making you feel low so she can feel better about herself. I see it all the time.

Being in Honors class is a good indication that you'd do well. Don't let this setback put you down too much. Just hate her a little and move on. There are other classes to conquer.

If I was your teacher, I'd give you an A just for being in Honor's class. I mean, the students in that class aren't the idiots of the school and they are far more independent. The other kids who take the lessor classes get easy As which is just unfair sometimes. I had an english teacher who gave us all A's and B's because it was an Honor's class. He was nice to all the students. That's how it should be. They don't just let anyone get into Honor's class at my old high school though, you needed the good grades to show you will be able to do well in it.
Anyway, that grade helps when you're applying for College. It allowed the students a better chance at a good college. Its in college that you define yourself. I still thank my teacher for that A. Took the same teacher for AP Govt and Economics too.
;)
Clearly, you don't believe in earning anything...

Baronz

Mar 12, 2002
First of all, never trust school computers for something important.

You should also consider getting a printer.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Mwilding

;)

Clearly you don't believe in sarcasm :D

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Jzero
Originally posted by: Mwilding

;)

Clearly you don't believe in sarcasm :D
Clearly, I need some fresh btteries in my detector...

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Wow, you got hosed! Yeah in college it was always one letter grade for being late. If you got it in by the end of the day they usually wouldn't dock you anything though.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
that's too bad, but why didn't you print it out the minute it was done instead of going out of your way to ensure that there were multiple places where forces beyond your control could make it impossible to print it? You had a printer, you had the file. Print it, you fool. Now you know.

I'm gonna side with your teacher. Although her 'prep' of your class for college is really really stupid, she gave you a deadline and missed it. Did she have a printed policy for late papers? Check your class syllabus if you still have it. Seems like it's a bit harsh, but if there's no printed policy, she can do whatever she wants.

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003
Originally posted by: DrumminBoy
Originally posted by: Loggerman
Who says your paper May of been a B+,you or the teacher?

she wrote down what I got on the essay, then deducted 50 points from that

Perhaps you should go complain to the principle. State that their systems were down and you couldn't print it out because of that. Its not your fault they don't keep their systems working. They're supposed to provide you with the means to do your school work. Maybe you can even sue them for loss of future earnings due to the bad grade. If you seek professional counseling, talk to you school counselor and tell him/her how upset you are, then talk to a professional too, you can sue for mental stress this whole thing has caused you. It might work. People have been sued for less.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Story:
For my English 4 Honors class, we had to write a 7-8 page paper on one of the books we've read this year. The paper was worth 200 points, and had to be turned in at 10:05 AM on the morning it was due. I stayed up late the night before finishing it, and thought I did a pretty good job. When I got done, I uploaded the file to my 1and1 account, planning to print it at school in programming class the next day as I've done for all of my papers this year. Well, it just so happened that the internet was down in our school that day, so when I found out, I drove home, threw the file on a floppy, and went back to school, planning to print it in the library. I get on a computer, and it wont read the file. I tried 3 more computers, all with different versions of MS word, and it would not open. I went and told my English teacher, because by this time it was well past 10:05, and there was no way I would get it printed by the end of the period. She told me to get it to her by the end of the day, so I went and got paper and printed it at home, and gave it to her about an hour later. I knew she would dock me somewhat, I figured maybe 5-10 points, because it was obvious I had the paper done and wasnt trying to get out of turning it in. Well today I went and got the paper and...she took 50 points off. My B+ turned into a D+ :| Doesn't this seem a little harsh? She said shes trying to make it just like college, so we'll be prepared next year. I understand its important to get us prepared for college, but we're not there yet. Honestly, I don't feel like 1/4 of my points should be lost because it was an hour late.

Cliff Notes:
Turned in High School English paper 1 hour late, got 50/200 points docked.

Tries to make it like college? I know several college students that turned in papers a semester or more late, and still got passing grades on them, and had their grades from their class changed from I/F to A,B,C, or D. Granted at junior colleges, most professors wont take late work, or work due on days you were absent, but university professors are much more generous, not all, maybe not even a majority but quite a few are.

aswedc

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2000
High school is such BS. I see it all the time, teachers will take off incredible amounts of points for being slightly late or not exactly to specification, while kids that are "depressed", have "family problems" or need a "individualized education plan" can get great grades doing nothing. Sure standardized test scores aren't perfect, but they're a lot better than this GPA crap colleges prefer these days.

aswedc

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2000
Perhaps you should go complain to the principle. State that their systems were down and you couldn't print it out because of that. Its not your fault they don't keep their systems working. They're supposed to provide you with the means to do your school work. Maybe you can even sue them for loss of future earnings due to the bad grade. If you seek professional counseling, talk to you school counselor and tell him/her how upset you are, then talk to a professional too, you can sue for mental stress this whole thing has caused you. It might work. People have been sued for less.
I don't know if the OP goes to one, but I don't think you've ever been to public school. Once you walk in the door, they legally own your ass. They can hand out any punishment for anything, even if you did it outside of school and even if they have no proof. One thing I'm especially mad about is recently one of my friends started going out with a girl and a councelor called her parents to advise they intervene becuse he didn't like the way my friend dressed. Their power is totally unchecked and out of control.

Ionizer86

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
Ah, don't worry man. Second semester senior year grades usually don't matter since colleges won't use them for admission purposes.

I forgot my eng hw once (one and only time this year) and the teacher wouldn't cut me some slack. She wouldn't let me turn it in for late credit at all. She even mocked me by saying "don't worry it's only 20 points." (which is actually a lot, considering that this is the difference on scoring an 80 and 90 on a large essay).

%#!% inpersonable teachers who don't care about students.

flot

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
Well, that totally sucks... however, I do think that:

1) you should have talked to her before 10:05, that part of the requirement was very clear

and

2) in a situation like that, where you have a hard deadline and a problem comes up (like you not printing it at home) then you always ALWAYS have to come up with like 5 backup plans, and then backup plans for the backup plans. I can't tell you how many 1am trips to Kinkos I had to make in college just in case.

but

3) if she said you could give it to her by the end of the day, then I'm not sure how docking you 50 points is acceptable, unless she made that clear. The only catch is that you asked her AFTER the paper was due. If you asked her BEFORE the paper was due, and then turned it in late with her approval, I would be raising hell over the grade change. (since conceivably her acceptance meant you didn't need to leave campus to go home in a hurry, etc, etc, etc)

I'd try to negotiate with her on the grade a bit, but in a sense she's right, you WILL get college professors pulling that kind of crap on you all the time. One of my first big programming assignments, worked 2 days on it, turned it in... grade should have been a 95% ... grade received - 0%. Reason? The very last thing I did was go through and clean it up and comment things etc - and I had accidentally capitalized ONE VARIABLE NAME... end result, variable never got set correctly, program didn't run. Professor's explanation of my grade? "Well you'll never make that mistake again, will you?"

DrumminBoy

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2002
I thought about splitting hairs with her over the requirements sheet she gave us for the paper. First of all, it said the paper had to be in at 10:00 AM, no excuses, but the class doesnt start till 10:05, so technically nobody turned in the paper on time according to the sheet she gave us. Secondly, it said "any paper turned in after 10:00 will be an automatic C." I didn't get a C, I got a D+, which means she didnt go along with her own requirements. If shes gonna be black and white with her rules, I should be too :disgust:

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
I thought about splitting hairs with her over the requirements sheet she gave us for the paper. First of all, it said the paper had to be in at 10:00 AM, no excuses, but the class doesnt start till 10:05, so technically nobody turned in the paper on time according to the sheet she gave us. Secondly, it said "any paper turned in after 10:00 will be an automatic C." I didn't get a C, I got a D+, which means she didnt go along with her own requirements. If shes gonna be black and white with her rules, I should be too :disgust:

You're such a tool.
rolleye.gif
You fvcked up, be a man and live up to your mistake you fvcking pussy.

dfi

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2001
That's pretty harsh for being an hour late. A B+ lowered to a C+ seems appropriate to me.

Honestly, I'm willing to bet that you can fight this. I've heard of students fighting, and winning, over much more ridiculous things. If you can show that you have consistently turned in papers on time, and that this paper being late was due to extraordinary circumstances out of your control, you might be able to raise your grade some. Although, you really should have explained all this BEFORE the deadline.

dfi

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
I think it was not harsh enough you should loose at lest 100 points for using a floppy. There is nothing less reliable then a floppy disk.

PowerMac4Ever

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH

You're such a tool.
rolleye.gif
You fvcked up, be a man and live up to your mistake you fvcking pussy.
You're a little bitch.

I will agree that the teacher was too harsh. But, it's only high school. You'll laugh once you realize how much high school is worthless when you're in college.