Do you think Jefferson unconditionally believed in democracy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
It's hard to tell, because the French Revolutionaries and Louis XVI were both tyrants and also because the American Revolutionaries were at least somewhat libertarian, whereas George III was a tyrant. That said, I find it hard to answer because I don't know of him encountering a situation in which republicanism was absolutely more tyrannical than the rule by one.

Your thoughts?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I watched a program on alien invasion tonight where robots harvest life on our planet for food and how to beat them by asymmetrical warfare with the result that I'm now more interested in how Jefferson might have handled that. It seems that anybody who can cross space will need a vehicle that can stand up to meteor impact and will thus be nuke proof too. Do you know how Jefferson might have handled an enemy that was technologically superior? I remember some stuff about shooting from behind trees but I don't think that would work in this case.

PS, I don't know how libertarian aliens are.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
But if we take tyranical rule as the norm of the day then perhaps we need to remember that in name back then there were no libertarians. The Libertarians of Jefferson`s day were called Contrarians! I know for a fact that when Aliens visited this planet back in 38 BC they left behind a small contingent of Contrarians who reproduced and had little baby Contrarians........
Do you miss your home planet Anarchist420??

Last edited:

Stayfr0sty

Mar 5, 2012
Assuming the conspiracys out there about the forefathers are just made up then yes.
Jefferson was a true libertarian/anarchist and beleive in democracy.
But you never know, the conspiracys could be true.....

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
IMHO, yet another waste of time post by anarchist420 asking unanswerable questions.

And again, IMHO, anarchist420 understand nothing about the life and times of Jefferson. As Thomas Jefferson was also somewhat of a true Renaissance man, a true student of European Philosophy and science before the findings of science became fully established. And also still seeped in the Greek Philosophy of Aristotle and Plato. As those two latter Greeks somewhat advocated the perfect world government would be by a deign dictator that acted in everyone's common interest and no personal greed.
But it was still rather clear by then that Rome and European kings could never lead to that deign dictator either. As Jefferson had some skepticism that democracy could also fail in wisdom or lead to ruin as it did in the time of Socrates.

Which is why, IMHO, the famous Jefferson statement that periodically the tree of liberty must be watered by the blood of tyrants maybe best describes Jefferson.

As for me, I am daily proud of our founding fathers, for writing an enduring document called the US Constitution. Remarkable wisdom and foresight for a group of late eighteenth century people that has led us well since 1792. As our constitution has allowed many changes but still its basic principles of human rights endure today. As I somewhat state everyone of our founding fathers would only have total contempt of your signature line that, " I'm an aristocrat.I love liberty,I hate equality. "

So please anarchist420, please quit asking endless foolish questions about our founding
fathers, and concentrate on asking relevant questions about today.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.