Do you think Grand Theft Auto games should have children in it?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Should GTA games have kids

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
There's no reason to include kids. If you make them killable, you run afoul of every politician on Earth and you get legislation cracking down on video games. If you don't make them killable, it ruins the immersion. There's no conceivable reason that I'd want to see children included in a game where I gleefully run down pedestrians for stress-relief; throwing kids in the mix somehow makes it serious. That's a line I don't want to cross.

+1 .... I agree on every point

Aug 11, 2008
Do those of you who are blaming parents really think that teen agers are not inventive enough to get the game despite the parents banning it? If nothing else they can pirate it or play it at a friend's house.

I tend to more agree with the idea that good parenting would make the children either not want to play the game (really??), or at least enable them to realize that it is just a game and not allow it to influence their real world behavior.

Edit: Obviously, this does not apply to parents who are so unconcerned or ignorant that they buy the game for their child. I am just saying that despite parent's best efforts, most teen-agers will be clever enough to somehow play the game despite their parent's wishes.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Do those of you who are blaming parents really think that teen agers are not inventive enough to get the game despite the parents banning it? If nothing else they can pirate it or play it at a friend's house.

I tend to more agree with the idea that good parenting would make the children either not want to play the game (really??), or at least enable them to realize that it is just a game and not allow it to influence their real world behavior.

Edit: Obviously, this does not apply to parents who are so unconcerned or ignorant that they buy the game for their child. I am just saying that despite parent's best efforts, most teen-agers will be clever enough to somehow play the game despite their parent's wishes.

Then it is still on the parents. What happens in their home and what influences are brought in is their ultimate responsibility. I an not saying it is their fault the kid got the game somehow but that they still have an obligation to impress good values on their kids. So even if they don't allow the game but the kid gets it behind their back, they still taught their kids right. As a result, the game has no influence on the kid whatsoever. To them it is just a game.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
This is why I hate media/politicians so much. They want to police the world for everyone and complain about what OTHER people are doing. If someone purchases a game for their kid when it clearly says the game is Violent,Racial Slurs, Sex, etc. and they don't care what can you do?

We shouldn't have to make laws to protect people who refuse to think for themselves.

When you work in the place selling the stuff, it doesn't work out so nicely. You see the kid go over see the GTA box and runs up to their parent with it saying mom/dad can I have this and they say sure, don't even look at the box or give a crap.

I just made it clear what they were purchasing for their child since they don't take the time to look/care themselves. There were very few parents that were not aware of the games content and had thanked me for telling them.

I'm not trying to police or tell people what to do. Just trying to inform them because really that kind of content shouldn't be shown to a child.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
There's only two types of people that want kids in these games:

1. People who want to murder children in a video game.

2. People who are REALLY into role playing and the lack of children is breaking their "REALISM!" meter.

Of those wanting kids in this particular game, I'm willing to bet a lot more of them fall into category 1 than 2. And if you are in category 2... it's a video game, get over it.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
seems kind of weird that OP wants to kill little kids...is that some kind of mental sickness?

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
How are there more "Yes" votes than "No"s? That's insane. Are you people all psychopaths?

What's ironic is the people who do want kids in the game are all children themselves.

XLNC

Jan 18, 2008
Some movies don't need children in them. Some games don't need children in them.

I'm appalled that so many think kids "should" be in GTA.

supremor

Dec 2, 2010
there is nothing for children in GTA. You want crush children with your car?
Yes and I think it would be rather amusing too just like sending grannies flying is. It's just a game and some people are way too uptight.

Lavans

Sep 21, 2010
I vote yes, for one reason - story. Adding more character types gives the story writers more potential depth to work with.

Games are an artistic medium, and its time we start treating it as one, rather than turning our heads away whenever a controversial topic comes up.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Hell no. There was only one kid in the entirety of Mass Effect 3 and look at what an asshole he turned out to be. And i don't want to accidentally kill a kid when I'm driving.
You can use kids in the story element like what they did in Heavy Rain, but not as npcs ever.

Last edited:

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
No kids. I feel bad sometimes when I run over a grandma, never mind a kid.... I am guessing for people that have kids they voted no and for people who don't, voted yes...?

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
You could include kids as story characters that don't appear in the game world, or you could put them in the game world but make them unkillable like in Fallout 3. Or maybe put them in the game world but make them totally invisible to the player, leading to numerous game-breaking bugs, like in the European edition of Fallout 2.

Or just leave them out because WTF people.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Mass murder of adults does not make someone a psychopath?

That wasn't my argument. I'm not really against violent video games. I just draw the line at killing kids. I don't think it has a place in games.

GTA will always be controversial because it allows truly random violence. Most games put you in a situation where you're a soldier fighting enemy soldiers, or fighting off aliens or zombies or something.

The other thing is, read the poll question. "Should GTA games have kids?" Not "would it be acceptable for GTA to have kids" or "would you protest GTA if they added kids," it was asking if people thought kids SHOULD be added. Now maybe people just don't read the poll carefully or didn't think about it, but there's a difference between what can happen and what should happen.

Last edited:

camelia

Jul 17, 2013
No Way!! No Kids, I know it is only a video game but the game is really violent!!

Camelia

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
I am fine with it, but that is because in the far majority of cases that children are in open world and/or shooting games they have been protected/invulnerable. Never breaks my sense of disbelief though, id much rather have as diverse population in my game for aesthetics rather then worry that there is something in the game I can't kill.