Question Do you think GPU stock/prices will get back to normal before end of the year?

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Coyle

May 15, 2020
I'm looking for a GPU to finish my build but the deal with GPUs right now reminds me of when I was trying to get a PSU, but maybe worse. Wondering if stock and prices will be getting back to normal before end of this year?

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011

which annoyingly cuts the graph off at 20%, or 150 watts.

but that likely does not matter, as he is using a 3070 which is >200w card.

Outside of the really top-end versions, 80+ doesn't require a particular efficiency below 20% of rated capacity, so it's not surprising they cut it there. It probably won't matter all that much since if it's a good PSU it will probably be fairly efficient even when the GPU or most of the system is idle.

Here's a graph for an 80+ Gold PSU that AT reviewed:

Hot1_575px.png

It's still probably getting above 80% efficiency any time it's seeing any kind of light use. I tried to see if I could find any reviews that had a PSU that wasn't 80+ certified, but couldn't find any. There were a few that were 80+ Titanium which requires at least 90% efficiency at 10% of rated capacity and the graphs for those tend to start out at around 86% efficiency at the lowest draw amounts so you can get better.

Honestly these days you probably need to go out of your way to buy something that isn't 80+ certified. I checked on Newegg which has 680 different 650W PSUs. 604 of them have some level of 80+ certification, and Gold is the most numerous with over 55% of PSUs having at least that level of certification.

The cheapest models which don't appear to have any certification (or at least don't claim to) look to be older kit. An extra $10 and you start seeing 80+ Bronze PSUs, so even if you're trying to put together a low cost build it's still pretty easy to get an efficient PSU these days.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
edit note: This post was edited after Hitman928 made his post below:

That is a sweet power supply, a good buy. Check out the power graph for it here:
note:
90% efficient at 150 watts. With your 3070 having a advertised average wattage of 220w by itself, it would seem your definitely in the efficiency curve.

Ignore the others, your power supply is excellent for this. The advice you received about getting at least a 80+ gold was correct.

edit note: This post was edited after Hitman928 made his post below
----------------------------------------

You know your going to add another GPU in, right? It took 7 years for me to do it, but I eventually added a 2nd GPU. My 7 year old 650watt evga psu is happily pulling 480 watts off the wall as I type this.

I spent a little more on that one ($105 USD at the time) than I usually do as I don't want to have to replace it for a very long time. I'm still rocking a 430W Thermaltake in my youngest son's PC that's even older than the OCZ. His PC barely ever gets switched on though...even less since I sold the 1060 out of it ;)

My main 3070 system (EVGA Ultra XC3,B550/5600X) only draws 320-ish at the wall under the heaviest GPU-load game I play (DCS World, 1440p). Really to be at 50% I should have a 650W in there.

Sorry, this thread is derailing (pardon the pun) into a PSU thread. Back on track, newsflash, GPU's aren't in stock yet :D

Reactions: Leeea

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004

GT 1030... $470.50 ... "only 4 left" (!).

This is REALLY getting crazy.

I have a GT 1030 in my daughters PC that she plays minecraft on. Looks like I paid $42 for it. I remember thinking it was kind of an "OK" deal at the time. Honestly its about the speed of those Ryzen based APUs so I'd recommend finding one of those instead if you're in the market for that level of performance.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Nothing like seeing RX 580 *4GB* cards, for ~$1300, or RX 5500 XT *4GB* cards for ~$999 on Newegg. :(

I don't get it at all, they're lousy mining cards, that would take 5-6 years to break-even at those prices. What's the freaking point? Gamers don't want those cards either.

Why the high prices on those particular cards. Newegg hoping to "catch suckers" (granted, these were from 3rd-parties), or are we, in fact, in the midst of "HyperInflation", and we're seeing the cusp of that in GPU pricing?

Not to mention, there have been both 25% tariff exemption expiring, as well as TWO rounds of MSRP increases from all of the major mfg's.

Feb 4, 2009
Nothing like seeing RX 580 *4GB* cards, for ~$1300, or RX 5500 XT *4GB* cards for ~$999 on Newegg. :(

I don't get it at all, they're lousy mining cards, that would take 5-6 years to break-even at those prices. What's the freaking point? Gamers don't want those cards either.

Why the high prices on those particular cards. Newegg hoping to "catch suckers" (granted, these were from 3rd-parties), or are we, in fact, in the midst of "HyperInflation", and we're seeing the cusp of that in GPU pricing?

Not to mention, there have been both 25% tariff exemption expiring, as well as TWO rounds of MSRP increases from all of the major mfg's.

Gonna guess it is a combination of wealthy but ignorant miners & gamers.
I agree those prices are ridiculous, may as well hang up the gaming hat if it costs that much for so little performance.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Amazon at least, relisting costs money so the resellers just raise the price to a stupid amount so nobody buys.

Feb 4, 2009
Amazon at least, relisting costs money so the resellers just raise the price to a stupid amount so nobody buys.

Ah I see, so you hold on to your last card (or lie to Amazon about your inventory level) then mark the card up to some insane price and if someone buys it well that covers the realist fee.