Do you think Door Buster Sales shouldn't be allowed anymore?

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
In light of the stupidity of the masses who bum rush doors for overrated electronics, do you think Black Friday deals should be discontinued at stores?

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
I don't think they can be discontinued, but I think stores should just hand out coupons to people in the order that they lined up instead of allowing them to race through the store.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I can honestly say that I have never been a party to such insanity. It's not worth the aggravation or risk to body or limb to have to deal with that bullshit just to save a few bux.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Originally posted by: moshquerade
In light of the stupidity of the masses who bum rush doors for overrated electronics, do you think Black Friday deals should be discontinued at stores?

Allow them, but use them as traps for people desperate enough to spend 18 hours in line to save $50. Put giant, staked pits just inside the doors.

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
I agree with Beau: hand out coupons, but also step up security/police.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
first black friday i ever got up for, i didn't get to the line at best buy until after the sun was up, there weren't 200 people in line yet, and we got some good deals. i think that was the ti200 year.

this craziness of opening at 4 am needs to stop.

Nov 5, 2001
That's kind of a asilly argument. One person died, that was tragic. But if you cancelled everything that had ever killed someone, we'd no longer have circuses, parades, or lots of other things.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: BeauJangles
I don't think they can be discontinued, but I think stores should just hand out coupons to people in the order that they lined up instead of allowing them to race through the store.

Of course they can be discontinued. But it's easier to just use a little common sense with coupons and vouchers issued to people waiting so that there's no incentive to stampede. Many concert venues dropped festival seating after The Who debacle in Cincinnati and almost all changed how they handled it. I would expect the same knee-jerk reaction here. Some really uptight jurisdictions will force doorbusters to be discontinued and others will enact laws forcing better security.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Jesus christ you want the government to tell a store they cant have a sale?

Yikes...

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
Originally posted by: BeauJangles

Of course they can be discontinued. But it's easier to just use a little common sense with coupons and vouchers issued to people waiting so that there's no incentive to stampede. Many concert venues dropped festival seating after The Who debacle in Cincinnati and almost all changed how they handled it. I would expect the same knee-jerk reaction here. Some really uptight jurisdictions will force doorbusters to be discontinued and others will enact laws forcing better security.

Or just get your employees out of harms way & let the herd thin itself out.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Ocguy31

Yikes...

How on earth did you leap to that ridiculous conclusion?

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
That's kind of a asilly argument. One person died, that was tragic. But if you cancelled everything that had ever killed someone, we'd no longer have circuses, parades, or lots of other things.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
That'd be a pretty knee-jerk reaction. On Boxing Day (Black Friday equivalent up north), lots of stores will not entirely open their doors. They have someone standing guard, holding the gate closed and letting people in single-file. Seems pretty fair. If everyone did that, no problem.

I rather try to rush the online websites on Christmas Day/Eve to crash the server in place of lining up all night.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
Originally posted by: Ocguy31

Yikes...

How on earth did you leap to that ridiculous conclusion?

Title: "Shouldnt be allowed anymore"

Only the government has the power to tell a business that they cannot open at a certain time or sell items for a certain price via law/code.

UDT89

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
is this thread started b/c of what happened near my house? the walmart employee that was killed?

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats

You also have to realize that this happened in New York.

The shoppers there are probably one of the worst areas for them.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix
first black friday i ever got up for, i didn't get to the line at best buy until after the sun was up, there weren't 200 people in line yet, and we got some good deals. i think that was the ti200 year.

this craziness of opening at 4 am needs to stop.

lol, what Best Buy were you at? that was my first as well.

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Imp
That'd be a pretty knee-jerk reaction. On Boxing Day (Black Friday equivalent up north), lots of stores will not entirely open their doors. They have someone standing guard, holding the gate closed and letting people in single-file. Seems pretty fair. If everyone did that, no problem.
In the US people aren't nearly as courteous. They would rather trample a person to get a chance at something rather than wait their turn. I never have had it work differently. I remember on Wii release day I was at a target where there was a line of like 100 people - they all had tickets - guaranteed items - and still when the doors were opened there was pushing and shoving and running to get their Wii. It was stupid mindless cattle mentality.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
They need to do like when I bought my 3G iPhone the day of.

I got to the AT&T store super early and was about 15th in line. Then the employees came out before the store opened, took your information down and then let people in one at a time (or a couple that was together).

This allowed for controlling the crowd and craziness very well.