Do you think deadly force would have been justified in this situation?

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
What deadly force? Taking his gun out and pointing it at him?

Would it be justified if he did shoot & kill him? Probably not, but he seemed close enough to fire a non-lethal shot.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
I think so. WTF was that cop doing? As soon as that lunatic lunged at him and tried to punch him he should have wasted his ass or at least shot him in the knee caps or something. I don't think I'd feel safe if that cop were protecting my streets.

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
The guy had no weapon and that cop was a wuss. The cops life was not in danger.

Glad the guy got away.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
What the fvck?

That's why cops nowdays have tasers - the guy would definitely sue if the cop shot him.

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
The cop said something to him to make him irate. A little pepper spray would have done the trick. Pulling out the gun in that situation was wrong. The cop can only use reasonable force just like anyone else. The billy club may also have deterred the guy with a couple good pops on the noggin.

EGGO

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Where was the pepper spray? Where was the backup that should have been called immediately? How can we NOT hear what the officer was saying during the road test? This was done so unprofessionally it's sad to see.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
if the guy approaches a cop with his gun drawn and wants to scuffle, I think the cop should shoot him. it's possible the guy could wrest the gun from the cop's control and use it on him.

Jan 31, 2002
We can't see the attacks after the gun is drawn, so it's hard to say. Charging an officer with a drawn firearm is pretty much asking to get shot. Impressive show of restraint on the part of the officer there; however, if the suspect had been sober enough to disarm him, he could have been killed.

On the second stop though, he definitely should have had the taser/pepper spray/something out and just hammered him as soon as he left the car.

Also, where the asterisk-ampersand-dollarsign was his backup?

- M4H

shimsham

Lifer
May 9, 2002
deadly force? not just based on what i saw. enough to stop the guy and not let him get away? absolutely.

what wouldve happened if the drunk wouldve killed someone later in the night because the cop didnt have to balls to do what needed to be done?

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Would he have been justified in used deadly force? Absolutely.

Would it have been the best way to handle things? Absolutely not.