Do you tell people how to play a game?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Say you're playing CTF in an FPS. One of your players is camping an area, let's say a choke point. Would you complain, bitch, or whine about him doing so? Would you kick him from the server or ask to have him kicked?

If you voice your comments and the guy says thats how he likes to play, that is fun to him, or that he isn't good enough to actually go for the flag, is he still "wrong"? Wouldn't this be considered defense on a CTF type game?

I see this type of crap in games so much and it really pisses me off. The guy paid for his copy of the game and if thats the way he likes to play who the hell are you to say different? Isn't the point of playing games to have fun? If you want to tell someone how to play, pay for their copy of the game.

whats the sense in having him run out after the flag only to get killed every single time and not contribute anything? at least if he's camping and killing enemies, he's contributing to the team.

I guess it can be argued that he isn't really being a team player or whatever, but in this situation that seems really debatable.

This thread isn't about me although I used to camp a lot when I first started playing FPS games. I still cmap sometimes, which i'm sure everyone does. Some games and classes seem made for it.

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Why tell someone what to do? One man army is the way I go. If there are less people attacking, that means that there's going to be more points next to my name as I mop up son!

Engraver

Jun 5, 2007
Even if they do stuff like that, chances are they can still be helpful. But when someone does something like building a sentry right next to mine in TF2, I'll say something to them.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
As long as they aren't TKing or spamming I don't care.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
There is no such thing as camping in CTF, its called playing defense. I used to play dedicated defense all the time in UT. I just wasn't a good flag carrier...but I was a major thorn in the side of the other teams offense...even with a 28.8 modem.

People that whine like that are the worst, and most of the time its some 12 year old kid who's just as useless. He rolls in, starts barking order over team chat like he's some 4 star general who's balls haven't dropped yet and then goes insano when everyone ignores him and does whatever they want.

People are playing this game to have fun...if you want some one to adhere to your orders, load up some bots.

When I on the hopelessly losing team in DoD:s I would frequently go on "shovel runs". My goal was simple, to kill the enemy with my shovel. You would be surprised how effective the shovel can be as a tool that forces embarrassment. And the best part is, there is no great victory in killing the player with shovel since he was basically unarmed.

PS DoD:s players: When you see 3 of your teammates just got whacked by a shovel in a row, it may be a good idea to stop training all your guns on the choke point for just one second and do a quick peek behind you!

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
it depends on what type of game and how they are doing it for me. in a game like CTF where it is beneficial to camp and defend areas then no thats fine. but in a deathmatch type game where someone hides and kills ppl, that can be quite annoying and a cowardly way to play. and I for think a lack of skill. if you suck at it then either A)play play play till you get better (practice makes perfect) or 2)turn it off and go read a book.

What bothers me is when im playing a game. (ill use WoW for example) and ill be doing something like killing 10 lvl 15 orcs for a quest at my lvl and someone comes along with a like lvl 60 and just wipes everything out. or goes around getting things i need. thats when i get on and yell at them. its not like there are no other items/weapons/enemies anywhere else but here they are. Its happend to me in all types of games.

In CTF someone on my own team will follow me letting me kill everyone to get into base and have my asshole team mate grab the flag and return home with my points. thats when I get boot happy. or at least vocal.

and when I say camp I mean other than w/the sniper rifles, or if it IS with the sniper rifle somewhere that no one can get you. like in a glitch...

milesl

Oct 11, 2004
I hate people who tell others how to play a game.Its a game,which means its supposed to be fun.Everyone is different and has different ways of playing that is fun for them.I can see if someone is being a tard to anger people,but someone who is camping or whatever should not be verbally abused for playing a game in a way that is fun for them.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
There is a big difference between playing poorly and playing in way which deliberately makes the game experience worse for the players around you. I only complain/kick the people who are doing things like TKing. I also kick the ones who feel that bitching to the guy who isn't a good player is the right thing to do. It's ok to give advice, but there is a right and a wrong way to do it. When I play, I play to have fun. I don't play to win and listen to others QQ about losing because of "the other guy".

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
If you want to play to win, and are that dedicated about it, go join a clan, and play clan vs clan matches. That's where everybody knows what to do, how to do it, and if they do it wrong, it can be discussed afterwards. Online games are pretty much like real life games. In real life you don't walk up to a soccer field, where 'pugs' are playing a friendly match, then join them, and start telling them to play 4-4-2, with a defensive and offense midfielder, etc etc. If you want to play that serious, join a frigging soccerclub. That's how I look at it. Or you make yourself a server, for 'serious' players only. That could work. And I suppose that's why many games have ranked servers as well.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
When i used to play AOC all the time i would have a real difficult time watching others play, i would always want to tell them what to do and what they where doing wrong...

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
when i read the topic I thought it was gonna be about like watching a friend play a game and wanting to tell them how to get stuff if they get stuck or where to go. I dont do it (unless its my g/f playing in which case i usually end up taking over lol) But i find myself wanting to. Ti direct and control the game in that way

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
I use to about 9 years ago when I was 12...

Story time.
I regulared on an Arma CoopEvolution Server, and there was this prick of an admin who would tell everyone what they should do. People were getting kicked every few minutes all cause they didn't see anymore people to pick up and drove off too soon, weren't using vehicles "properly", reporting their location or enemy or hovering just outside the AA zone providing air cover (this one was me). Whole time I was there it felt like I was being watched. This was a clan server so he had the "right" to kick people, but it doesn't make him any less of an as*hat. FYI, I never went back to his internment camp.

Generally, I don't care. We lose, we lose. We win, we win. The only thing I HATE is when someone tells an individual or the team "oh you suck, you should be attacking, you shouldn't put a gun there, you should help me, heal me, suck my **** for me". This is even more annoying if I forget to mute my voice communication and hear these whiny teenagers telling people what to do.

Nowadays, there are so many retards, I am happy as long as someone isn't killing the teams equipment, TKing or hacking. It's a public server, ideally you should help your team, but everyone should be able to do whatever they want.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: MarcVenice
If you want to play to win, and are that dedicated about it, go join a clan, and play clan vs clan matches. That's where everybody knows what to do, how to do it, and if they do it wrong, it can be discussed afterwards. Online games are pretty much like real life games. In real life you don't walk up to a soccer field, where 'pugs' are playing a friendly match, then join them, and start telling them to play 4-4-2, with a defensive and offense midfielder, etc etc. If you want to play that serious, join a frigging soccerclub. That's how I look at it. Or you make yourself a server, for 'serious' players only. That could work. And I suppose that's why many games have ranked servers as well.

That is a great example.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I dunno people will always be trying to tell others how to play, since they are basically anonymous it's very easy to criticize people. Like a team deathmatch where it's 3vs1 and the last guy on your team dies only to be greeted with OMG you suck noob by all the leet haxxors on your time, who BTW died a long time ago.

I never yell at people unless they are being disruptive to the team effort, something like camping doesn't cross that threshold.

TF2 has been on my sh*t list lately for this kind of crap, some 16 year old douche is constantly yelling at everyone trying to be armchair general. I know this happens in every game to some extent but it's put me off from playing lately(though I haven't tried out the AT server).

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
I usually play Constructor in QW unless I fancy hitting the objectives that round when I change class to suit. Constructor suits my playing style and I still get a lot of kills in. No-one's ever complained about me hanging round the base repairing turrets and vehicles and defending the objective if it's near the spawn.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I do camp a good bit in TF2, but I camp in the choke points.

A few weeks ago I was playing TF2 and I was playing in 2fort. I was in n that area near that has the grating in the floor with the hole. Its right as you enter the base. I was switching between demo and rocket and some guy on the other team started complaining about me camping. He kep playing spy and i would always kill him either as he entered the base or when he came into that room to try to kill me. the most he could do to me was a little damage. he was getting so pissed off and telling me to stop camping.

I said "someone needs the waaahmbulance" and "do i tell you how to play? no, so stfu."

I kill him a few more times and he whines again. I tell him that I'm defending the base and I must be doing a pretty damn good job because his whiny ass hasn't been able to take the flag.

No one else on his team was able to take it either.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
No way. I don't have a problem with people playing how they want, especially on public servers. Some people just take the whole thing way to seriously (on pubs)... I was playing TF2 a couple nights ago and one dude on our team was giving out orders and basically calling the team dumbasses. So I did the proper thing and told him to go fuck himself.

I have nicely given some tips to people though if I thought it would help them out. For example in TF2 telling a soldier if he hurts himself while I heal him I get ubercharge fasater, or a better sniper position in a game or something. Just a quick comment though, I've never ordered anyone around and told them how to play.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The most I say to people is "LMAO what the hell are you doing?" if someone is just jumping around being a general nutcase. It does not bother me, I just find it funny, so I comment. I don't really consider that telling someone how to play though.

Sometimes I play an Engineer or Demoman in TF2 and just stay back and defend the CP/Intelligence. Other times I push forward and attack with them. I've had people comment that I am playing 'wrong' when doing either, I just thank them for their input and continue to do what I want. :)

KT

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I never tell people how to play a game. If someone is an obvious noob, I'll give tips to improve play. If they aren't interested, I just let it go.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: clamum
No way. I don't have a problem with people playing how they want, especially on public servers. Some people just take the whole thing way to seriously (on pubs)... I was playing TF2 a couple nights ago and one dude on our team was giving out orders and basically calling the team dumbasses. So I did the proper thing and told him to go fuck himself.

lol

Indeed, the proper thing;).

RiDE

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2004
I don't really care what people do on their own. lol

I entered a TF2 game in Dustbowl as a Scout last week and all of a sudden I hear screaming on my speakers about why I'm a Scout. :D Granted, I am somewhat useless as a Scout on the Red team on that map but it was pretty funny hearing somebody have a hernia over me. :laugh:

RiDE

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2004
Originally posted by: pontifex
I do camp a good bit in TF2, but I camp in the choke points.

A few weeks ago I was playing TF2 and I was playing in 2fort. I was in n that area near that has the grating in the floor with the hole. Its right as you enter the base. I was switching between demo and rocket and some guy on the other team started complaining about me camping. He kep playing spy and i would always kill him either as he entered the base or when he came into that room to try to kill me. the most he could do to me was a little damage. he was getting so pissed off and telling me to stop camping.

I said "someone needs the waaahmbulance" and "do i tell you how to play? no, so stfu."

I kill him a few more times and he whines again. I tell him that I'm defending the base and I must be doing a pretty damn good job because his whiny ass hasn't been able to take the flag.

No one else on his team was able to take it either.

The guy must have been banging his keyboard after that. lol

I'm used to idiots that tell you how to play in WoW. But nobody really gets anything from winning a round in TF2 other than having fun. I don't understand why these people get their panties so bunched up. :confused:

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
It's nice to give tips if someone clearly doesn't know what's going on. If they're just being retarded then hey, that's how that person has fun.