Do you take supplements? If so, what do you take?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Two important side effects that everyone should know and that I found out about the hard way:

1) Maximizes iron absorption: Fine if you are taking this with non-heme iron food sources (plant food) but if you take this with a lot of animal food sources, you will increase your iron absorption a lot. For women, it's not a huge risk before menopause but for post-menopausal women and most men, increased iron intake increases the risk of heart attacks.

2) Potent liver damage multiplier: Vitamin C may not damage the liver directly but when taken in excess, it WILL magnify the damage to the liver caused by any other hepatotoxin, such as alcohol.

What is considered excessive vitC? Anything over 2000mg? 3000, 5000?

Jul 27, 2020
What is considered excessive vitC? Anything over 2000mg? 3000, 5000?
Anything over the recommended amount and depends on the condition of your liver and what you are taking with vitamin C. If you are consuming something that is likely to hurt your liver (fast food fried with low quality oil) and also take vitamin C tablet with that, you won't be doing your liver any favors. In such a case, I would prefer to have orange, grapefruit or lemon juice rather than a vitamin C tablet because at least that way, it's natural and nature usually doesn't oversupply nutrients to the point of causing harm to us.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I take a quality multi-vitamin (brand varies) with lunch or dinner and an additional 125 mcg's D along with a Tums at bedtime.

Reactions: Muadib

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Vitamin D capsule, and a multivitamin for me. My doctor told me to take the D, as my levels were low.

Reactions: Captante
Jul 27, 2020
I take a quality multi-vitamin (brand varies) with lunch or dinner and an additional 125 mcg's D along with a Tums at bedtime.
Do you use a sleep tracker? Vit. D at bed time interferes with deep sleep (the most restful one you absolutely need).

Jul 27, 2020
Also, taking a good magnesium supplement (avoid the oxide/citrate forms. Oxide is poorly absorbed. Citrate form may cause bowel issues if used regularly) helps the body utilize Vit. D better.

Reactions: Muadib

Zor Prime

Nov 7, 1999
I used to take a bunch of individual vitamins since being a teenager but I've gradually condensed it into one thing for the past few years, Naturelo multivitamins that you can pick up on Amazon. Has organic whole foods in them also.

I also take whey protein, and I ingest enough caffeine to kill several species of small animals. Thiamine (B1) is a good assist in getting over killer hangovers, that's about the only individual vitamin I'd have around these days. YMMV

Stiff Clamp

Feb 3, 2021
Manufacturers really need to come up with a B-complex supplement without B6. It's found in so many products, blended with the other Bs. It builds up in your system and becomes neuro-toxic . . . as my neurologist told me. SO that is my primary fear.
P5P B6 is safer as it doesn't build up as much.
Wonder what substance would bind to B6 in the body and help purge it.

I supplement because I'm trying to restore brain neurotransmitters f'd up from lack of sleep due to some internal injury of the neck.

Jul 27, 2020
I supplement because I'm trying to restore brain neurotransmitters f'd up from lack of sleep due to some internal injury of the neck.
The Relationship between Fatty Acids and Different Depression-Related Brain Regions, and Their Potential Role as Biomarkers of Response to Antidepressants - PMC (nih.gov)

Consistent with the notion that dietary fats can influence brain lipid composition, the long-term (11 weeks) consumption of a MUFA-enriched diet (fat from olive oil) significantly increased total MUFA levels in the mouse brain and concomitantly reduced SFA levels [49]. Notably, a high MUFA:SFA ratio has been shown to increase brain membrane fluidity [49], which can facilitate neurotransmitter signal transduction and improve mental health.

Other than olive oil, Avocados are bursting with MUFAs. I've done keto diet with Avocado shake and it improves brain focus to an amazing degree on the third day of the diet.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Supplements: Man unable to walk after taking popular supplement to correct deficiency - Today News Post

That's why I'm wary of most multivitamins since they contain way more B-vitamins than required.
Why am I not surprised. Rendering an old person unable to function is a great final payday for the "industry of medicine" and for "planet savers" to cull the herd. "Aged care" facility and the wheelchair industry got stimulus money.

That said, multis don't contain 50mg of B6, but rather around 2 mg.

They do sell 50 mg of B6 OTC though.
And of course...labeling to please the vegans.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
Solgar's Vitamin D/Calcium formulation was ultra effective at increasing the calcium level in my blood. So much that I got extremely high blood pressure (couldn't even remember the password to my PC that I used everyday). That was my last ever Solgar supplement.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Solgar's Vitamin D/Calcium formulation was ultra effective at increasing the calcium level in my blood. So much that I got extremely high blood pressure (couldn't even remember the password to my PC that I used everyday). That was my last ever Solgar supplement.
Calcium supplementation is counterproductive without K2 activating the proper enyzmes to deposit calcium where the body wants it(bones/teeth) and not in unwanted places like the arteries. .

Jul 27, 2020
Calcium supplementation is counterproductive without K2 activating the proper enyzmes to deposit calcium where the body wants it(bones/teeth) and not in unwanted places like the arteries. .
The Solgar one did have K2 but the formula was so good that it maximized Calcium absorption at such a rate that my body didn't even have time to utilize it. Good for old people may be but even then, under a doctor's supervision with regular tests to ensure they don't get a stroke or heart attack from calcification.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

Hotrod2go

Nov 17, 2021
I take a daily multivitamin capsule. Although I do grow my own organic fertilized herbs, some veg & fruit including 'bush tucker' here in Australia, I do still buy supermarket products for consumption, but try not to throw too much money at them.