Do you take supplements? If so, what do you take?

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
My supplements:

Early Morning: 1 digestive enzyme (400mg), 1/2 scoop preworkout, 1 tsp creatine with 1/2 tsp beta alanine before the gym. I like to stack these together before my workout which I do fasted. I don't consume any food. After my workout I'll eat a Quest bar for much needed protein. I used to eat before my workout, but my stomach would get bothered and I'd have a terrible workout session. I experimented with not eating before my workout and I like this approach.

Morning: After my morning breakfast, 1 out of 2 vitC 1000mg, vegan one daily multivitamin, d3 (5000iu)+k2 (100mcg) biotin b7 (10,000mcg), 1 out of 2 hyaluronic acid (250mg), 1 tsp Nordic Natural fish oil. I might decrease the d3 from 5000iu to 1000iu because its summer, and I get plenty of sunlight. In the fall and winter I'll ramp that back up to 5000iu. Its probably too much in the summer. Also, I only take 1 tsp of fish oll becauase I get my Omega 3s from a can of sardines, which I've been eating every day.

Afetr lunch: 2 out of 2 hyaluronic acid (250mg), saw palmetto (400mg), 2 out of 2 vitC 1000mg, and 1 scoop of protein in my shake.

Before bed: 2 of advanced collagen (1000mg) w/ hyaluronic acid (100mg).

That is about it. These are all in capsule form. Very inexpensive supplements. I used to take much more, but have since scaled back. I used to take supplements like resveratrol, but the data on its effectiveness is very weak. And, it can be quite expensive. The same with COQ10. I don't take this anymore. Maybe I should put these back into my daily supplement stack? Collagen supplements, and hyaluronic acid has been shown to be very effective on joints. When we get older these break down and so we aren't able to produce as much as we used too in our youth. This is why I take both everyday. The multivitamin also covers what I might be missing during the day. That is about it.

I get about 2300-2500 calories, 200 grams of protein. I'm going to try the 36 hour monk fast once a week. That would run from mid afternoon Sat- Mon morning. Once a week. An extended fast. I want to how I feel after doing this. There are many health benefits that occur when fasting.

guidryp

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2006
Seems like a lot.

I take:
Vitamin D - 1000 IU one/day (double in winter)- Since I don't get a lot of sun.
B12 - 2500 mcg one/week - Since I eat mostly plant based.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Seems like a lot.

I take:
You might want to take a combination d3, k2 supplement since both work in conjunction with each other. And, k2 is found mostly in meat. You probably aren't getting that as well, unlesss you eat a lot of fermented foods. Like kimchi and soybeans. And, no multi vitamin? I lift weights, and exercise quite frequently. That is why I take the supplements I listed.

guidryp

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2006
You might want to take a combination d3, k2 supplement since both work in conjunction with each other. And, k2 is found mostly in meat. You probably aren't getting that as well, unlesss you eat a lot of fermented foods. Like kimchi and soybeans. And, no multi vitamin? I lift weights, and exercise quite frequently. That is why I take the supplements I listed.
K2 is non-essential, made from K1, which I get plenty of in greens.

Reactions: bigboxes

Torn Mind

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2012
I pop anywhere between 5000-15000 IUs of D3 a day. That also means 90-270 mcg of MK7 K2 from the Spring Valley K2+D3.

I am currently supplementing daily a "Super B-Complex"(Nature Made or Spring Valley) as well because I try to limit the usual "sweet" sources of vitamin C and the B-complex.

For the rest of my family, I used their "handouts" to buy Cod Liver Oil, Salmon Oil, Astaxanthin because they do not eat fatty fish(I begrudgingly do).

Also have acquired some Turmeric(with black pepper chemical) and Coenzyme Q10, but really haven't eaten it.
Also have a big bottle of Vitamin E but I don't consume it much either. Mom's on chemo...and maybe it helps deal with the platinum-based drug?

There is also L-arginine for my sister because it appears that helps wound healing(she got two wisdom teeth extracted).

Sometimes I just pop a multivitamin(Sentry Senior) every week or two weeks.

The most consistent part of my diet has been a 3oz of a fatty fish a day, more or less. I have tried to eat hard cheeses but it usually winds up at 3 days a week at best. Red Meat is eaten periodically on demand. I hate it in excess. Generally, 3 strips of bacon satisfies for a day. Or 2 pounds ground beef per month.

I have eaten peanut butter ravenously but I've chilled out for the past month.

I like my fruits, maybe too much. An orange or berries.
I will eat tofu weekly.

Drinks: only 3 types depending on the mood. Almond drink, soy drink, or milk. And there's water

guidryp

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2006
Provides some, but it doesn't seem like a very efficient process.
I probably eat over 10x the amount of greens of the average person, even an efficient process will give me plenty.

Plus, my viewpoint on nutrition is that the body is pretty good at regulating nutrients, upregulating or downregulating conversion processes to meet needs of unessential nutrients.

I am VERY skeptical of people chasing magic bullets in the form of supplements...

Torn Mind

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2012
I probably eat over 10x the amount of greens of the average person, even an efficient process will give me plenty.

Plus, my viewpoint on nutrition is that the body is pretty good at regulating nutrients, upregulating or downregulating conversion processes to meet needs of unessential nutrients.

I am VERY skeptical of people chasing magic bullets in the form of supplements...
I consider supplements merely gap fillers in case I cannot comply by diet or “nature”. They cannot replace proper lifestyle, that is correct.

Also, just because the body can convert doesn’t mean that the rate is good enough. The Omega-3 DHA, for example.

guidryp

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2006
I consider supplements merely gap fillers in case I cannot comply by diet or “nature”. They cannot replace proper lifestyle, that is correct.

Also, just because the body can convert doesn’t mean that the rate is good enough. The Omega-3 DHA, for example.
No need for DHA supplements either with adequate ALA intake, and LA/ALA balance.
Fish oil is perhaps the biggest supplement industry scam:
"In fact, both that trial and our trial showed increases in atrial fibrillation -- a 69% increased risk -- with fish oil in our study," Nissen said. "So, you can make the case that fish oil may actually not be neutral. It may, in some cases be harmful."
Almost the entire supplement industry feeds on industry funded studies to generate anxiety about missing nutrients.

Supplements of the day often turn out to have negative consequences (many vitamin supplement trials ended up increasing cancer rates).

It's almost as if human bodies that evolved eating whole foods, respond best to eating whole foods. Not trying to isolate an individual ingredient to make into magic bullets.

Reactions: mike8675309

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Seems like a lot.

I take:
This is exactly what I was taking for the same reason. My blood test was showing acceptable but minimal levels of both so I doubled up the D because 2000 IU was on sale and started taking 2 of the B12s a week. I also have been taking a multi-vitamin for years as my one Doc thought it would be a good idea.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
No need for DHA supplements either with adequate ALA intake, and LA/ALA balance.

Almost the entire supplement industry feeds on industry funded studies to generate anxiety about missing nutrients.

Supplements of the day often turn out to have negative consequences (many vitamin supplement trials ended up increasing cancer rates).

It's almost as if human bodies that evolved eating whole foods, respond best to eating whole foods. Not trying to isolate an individual ingredient to make into magic bullets.
When I did a CNN search on fish oil, your CNN article along with 2-other CNN articles on th fish oil appeared as well. The more recent article is from Jan27, 2022.

Vitamin D and fish oil supplements may help prevent autoimmune disease, study says.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012

Rhonda Patrick who is a well respected scientist, and who has been on the Joe Rogan podcast a few times discusses the possible health benefits of Omega3s and fish oil. She talks about taking in high doses as being the most beneficial. About 4grams of DHA/EPA. She does mention the issue with randomized fish oil trials, and the fact that many of the participtants who are involved don't adequatley tell the whole truth when they self-report how much fish they actually ate. And, the w-3 study desgn needs to be improved, such as using blood biomarkers.

In my case, I only take 1 tbsp of fish oil, and I will eat a can of sardines daily. Sardines are an excellent source of DHA/EPA and are mostly free from toxins that are found in large water fish like salmon. I don't rely on fish oil as my primary source of DHA/EPA. We also can't ignore the fact that countries that eat fish daily have a lower risk of heart disease. Their lifestyle, the fact that they eat a mostly healthy unprocessed diet full of green veggies and fruits is a major factor to their longevity as well. The Okinawans for example have a strong sense of community which contributes to their long life span.

Last edited:

guidryp

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2006
When I did a CNN search on fish oil, your CNN article along with 2-other CNN articles on th fish oil appeared as well. The more recent article is from Jan27, 2022.

Vitamin D and fish oil supplements may help prevent autoimmune disease, study says.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/27/health/vitamin-d-fish-oil-autoimmune-wellness/index.html
The actual study:

Only vitamin D reached statistical significance:

guidryp

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2006
Rhonda Patrick who is a well respected scientist, and who has been on the Joe Rogan podcast a few times discusses the possible health benefits of Omega3s and fish oil. She talks about taking in high doses as being the most beneficial. About 4grams of DHA/EPA. She does mention the issue with randomized fish oil trials, and the fact that many of the participtants who are involved don't adequatley tell the whole truth when they self-report how much fish they actually ate. And, the w-3 study desgn needs to be improved, such as using blood biomarkers.

In my case, I only take 1 tbsp of fish oil, and I will eat a can of sardines daily. Sardines are an excellent source of DHA/EPA and are mostly free from toxins that are found in large water fish like salmon. I don't rely on fish oil as my primary source of DHA/EPA. We also can't ignore the fact that countries that eat fish daily have a lower risk of heart disease. Their lifestyle, the fact that they eat a mostly healthy unprocessed diet full of green veggies and fruits is a major factor to their longevity as well. The Okinawans for example have a strong sense of community which contributes to their long life span.
Someone giving an opinion in a video, doesn't outweigh the studies done.

Sardines have lower mercury (as does Salmon) but both are pretty high in Dioxins and PCBs.

It seldom gets talked about, but that pristine wild Alaskan Salmon carries so much PCBs/Dioxins that they are contaminating pristine Alaskan lakes when the die while spawning:.

"From a PCB concentration of less than 1 ng per litre in the ocean, sockeye salmon accumulate PCBS to a concentration of 2,500 ng per gram of lipid," the researchers wrote in Thursday's issue of the journal Nature.
"This means that one million adult salmon could transport more than 0.16 kg of PCBs to the spawning area, which is comparable to the amount of fugitive PCBs released annually from hazardous waste incineration."

Generally, the higher the concentration of spawning salmon in a lake, the higher the PCB concentration was in the lake sediment, they found.
Big Swedish PDF examining PCB/Dioxins in the diet. They don't recommend such fish more than once/week:

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator and Elite Member
Aug 22, 2001
Whey protein isolate and casein protein shakes. That's it. Used to do Creatine, but no matter how much water I drank, my calves turned into knots of pain within an hour of combat sports or martial arts. Great for strength training, but not worth the trade off.

BTW, my opinion of Health Line is that it is the internet embodiment of a Kooky Naturopath. I could be wrong, but the few times I let a search take me there, everything read like either that, or bro science.

igor_kavinski

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2020
BTW, my opinion of Health Line is that it is the internet embodiment of a Kooky Naturopath.

How about these two?

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
I probably have expensive piss but..
Daily vitamin, B12, D, magnesium and creatine.

Stiff Clamp

Feb 3, 2021
you have no idea.

5htp, 5htp w/ b6, tyrosine, tryptophan, B complex, Vitamins D,E,A,K, zinc, magnesium malate, 8 Essential Aminos blend, threonine, choline+inositol, Alpha gPC, phosphatidylserine, taurine, P5P B6 + methyl-folate + methyl-B12, melatonin, GABA, DHEA, dopa mucuna, POWERFUL protein shake, spirulina, spinach (ok that's food)

all revolve around the nervous system or neurotransmitters in the brain

igor_kavinski

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2020
5htp, 5htp w/ b6, tyrosine, tryptophan, B complex, Vitamins D,E,A,K, zinc, magnesium malate, 8 Essential Aminos blend, threonine, choline+inositol, Alpha gPC, phosphatidylserine, taurine, P5P B6 + methyl-folate + methyl-B12, melatonin, GABA, DHEA, dopa mucuna, POWERFUL protein shake, spirulina, spinach (ok that's food)

B-complex - Could aid tumor growth.

Methyl-B12 - Make sure your level isn't too high. Abnormally high levels can promote abnormal cell growth. I think you are using Jarrow's formula one?

Melatonin - May cause your body to stop making melatonin on its own. May have the potential to cause fertility issues with long term use.

igor_kavinski

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2020
Vt C 500mg- 1g.
Two important side effects that everyone should know and that I found out about the hard way:

1) Maximizes iron absorption: Fine if you are taking this with non-heme iron food sources (plant food) but if you take this with a lot of animal food sources, you will increase your iron absorption a lot. For women, it's not a huge risk before menopause but for post-menopausal women and most men, increased iron intake increases the risk of heart attacks.

2) Potent liver damage multiplier: Vitamin C may not damage the liver directly but when taken in excess, it WILL magnify the damage to the liver caused by any other hepatotoxin, such as alcohol.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator and Elite Member
Aug 22, 2001
Two important side effects that everyone should know and that I found out about the hard way:

1) Maximizes iron absorption: Fine if you are taking this with non-heme iron food sources (plant food) but if you take this with a lot of animal food sources, you will increase your iron absorption a lot. For women, it's not a huge risk before menopause but for post-menopausal women and most men, increased iron intake increases the risk of heart attacks.

2) Potent liver damage multiplier: Vitamin C may not damage the liver directly but when taken in excess, it WILL magnify the damage to the liver caused by any other hepatotoxin, such as alcohol.
So if you drink a screwdriver to get hammered, it's another nail in the coffin?
I'll show myself out...

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I take a multivitamin in the morning (I don't eat enough fruits and vegetables), and valerian root & melatonin before bed so I can fall asleep more easily.

ASK THE COMMUNITY