Do you take life seriously?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I take shit way too serious in life - which is why it took me to a breaking point when I decided to quit my consulting job. At the end of the day instead of constant day torture I would rather be slightly worried about financing than drinking myself to sleep every night.

I'm in all honesty trying to combat it though. Quitting a stressful job that demands insane hours is the first step. Next is putting my health and family above those.

....Not gonna lie, it's fucking nice just thinking of my wife working and not me :p

I've worked in stressful jobs all my life. For whatever reason, I was always one of the few left holding the bag. Everyone along the way could goof off and work 30 hours per week, but as the last person to touch the products, all of that goofing off cut into my schedule and I couldn't be late.

Edited because of too much whining

Last edited:

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Many parts of life I take very seriously and other parts I like to just clown around and be chill. I need both parts to make me the man I am. The hard part is knowing when what part is appropriate for the situation.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Great answer. One of the greatest pleasures in life is to work towards your goals and be a part of something bigger than yourself. But at the same time, have fun doing it and enjoy the journey towards it.

Work was hard when I was a kid. As I got older & experienced crappy health, then everything became a real chore. I didn't realize until much later in life that (1) work is a Good Thing, (2) work can be fun & enjoyable, (3) you could find jobs that you like to do more than other jobs, (4) you can find a calling or a career, not just a job - something you're actually passionate about, care about, and become engaged in, and (5) you're only as stuck in a job as you imagine yourself to be.

Also, if you don't live an extravagant lifestyle, then at a certain point, money stops mattering so much, once you get comfortable. I left a high-paying job due to a stressful work environment, and I fought leaving it for literally years. I grew up with the idea that it was acceptable to live like that, to go to work & low-key hate it, but go anyway because then you don't have to really think or try beyond that. I was seduced by the comfort of having a job that I knew how to do & that paid well, but where I wasn't happy in. Learning that (1) I was only as stuck as I decided to be, and (2) that I could choose weather or not to let other people or jobs walk all over me or not were both huge eye-openers for me.

I see a lot of people who decide they are stuck in their jobs & where living life in neutral is acceptable. That was my route for a long time. Externally, nothing has really changed much - I still fix computers & whatnot - but internally, I'm much happier. Sure, financially, it means I have to save up for stuff & manage my budget more carefully by doing things like cooking at home (yay appliances), but I don't loathe going to work every day & I don't operate in low-key apathy-mode all day long anymore. For me, that's a big difference in how much I enjoy my life on a day-to-day basis.

Reactions: yhelothar