Do you take a multivitamin supplement (Poll)?

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Just curious. If so, what are you using?

I'm using Theregram (SP?) M (or generic knockoff) Advanced Formula. I've tried Centrum's various formulas but they have too much IRON which upsets my stomach... unless I take one right after a meal. I prefer Theregram.

When I get the feeling a cold is coming on (somewhat rare) I'll pop a Vitamin A/C/E booster and drink lots more water. That seems to work most times. Thus, Compared to the years before vitamins I've been sick much less and really think it does make a difference. Of course, eating a proper diet would be helpful, but, I'm never going to get the right amount of vitamins from what I eat.

SaintGRW

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2001
only time i take them are when my mom is like here take this and i'm like no and she's like TAKE IT..so i don't take them on a regular basis. do you notice a big difference in the way you feel when you take them and when you don't?

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
I recall going a week or two without at one point for that very reason (to see if I noticed a difference). Honestly, I don't feel any different when I do take them vs not. However, I do notice that I am sick (Flu / colds) much less than I used to be before taking them. I used to get sick 1-2x a year. Now maybe 1x every 2yrs.

Spooner

Lifer
Jan 16, 2000
Originally posted by: IGBT
Flinstones..over dosed on Wilmas...:D
Heheheh... i've actually wondered for a while if these multivitamins really make a difference.

I've heard some opinions that your body really doesn't absorb most of it and all you end up getting is expensive urine.... i don't know though :eek:

snooker

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2001
I did take vitamins in the past but have since quit taking them since I did not see any difference in the way I felt, I do not even notice getting sick less while taking vitamins.

I will only take them now if a doctor tells me I need to for a reason.

nord1899

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
I take Rite-Aid's once a day multi's. Something like $20 for a 6 month supply. Two tablets right after breakfast and thats it.

Any vitamin supplement is best taken after eating. The fat from the food helps the body absorb more of the supplement. Taking them on an empty stomach greatly reduces the amount you absorb.

That said, I figure taking them can't hurt too much. Its not like I buying the expensive GNC stuff. The Rite-Aid ones work for me pretty good. Unfortunately, I don't notice too much of a difference taking them or not. So maybe they aren't all that great.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
One thing to remember if you are taking vitamins is to be sure and get ones that also include minerals. Without the proper minerals your body cannot absob the vitamins and you end up with bright yellow urine. Another thing that helps you to absob them is taking Coenzyme Q-10. Not sure how it works but a nurse told me to take it with the vitamins and since I started I've started taking it I've noticed much less yellow even when I skip the mineral supplement. Had to skip the minerals a few days in order to test you know.....

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
No. I prefer to eat lots of fruit and vegetables and don't bother with vitamin pills.............

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I'm taking GNC's Ultra Mega without iron. One with my breakfast bar, one with dinner.

You wont notice a difference the same day you start taking them. But if you're active, you WILL notice a difference over weeks.

And for me, a person who can't stand very many vegies, but runs 7 days a week and lifts five days a week, taking these are a must.

virusag11

May 22, 2002
I eat a well balanced diet that provides me with everything I need. As others I exercise daily, but find no need in taking a multi-vitamin.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Spooner
Originally posted by: IGBT
Flinstones..over dosed on Wilmas...:D
Heheheh... i've actually wondered for a while if these multivitamins really make a difference.

I've heard some opinions that your body really doesn't absorb most of it and all you end up getting is expensive urine.... i don't know though :eek:

Many of the common multivitamins are just like that... they're synthesized, in very specific and unnatural forms. Take calcium carbonate for example - it's chalk - although that form of calcium is the highest compared to others, you only absorb about 5 percent of it. Then, without the necessary other minerals, your body doesn't do anything with it anyway. For your body to fully utilize vitamins and minerals, you need them in their natural state - from organic sources.

Although the benefits are skewed, it's still helpful for people that don't eat nutritious meals.

Currently I'm developing a diet that is rich in nutrients and phytonutriens, antioxidants, and alternatives to sugars and salts (such as sea-salt or kelp, or honey and real maple syrup).

I went on a cabble soup diet for a week to flush out my toxins and drop a few pounds - it worked - since then, I've been eating better and staying away from any processed white flours or sugars. I'm finding that I'm losing my sweet tooth and craving whole grains, nuts, and fruits...

Besides me feeling better, my wife's sugar levels have stabilized and she's almost got rid of her acid reflux/indigestion problem.

In the 1920's, America was #1 in nutrition - lowest rates of cancer, diabetes, and other diseases than other countries... now we're ranked in the 90's. Statistics parallel the fast food industry growth rate...

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
In addition to an occasional Flintstone I got a big bottle of Kirkland Daily Multi vit/mineral with Lutein which is good for your eyes and the whole works is comparable to Centrum..so says Costco....

Darein

Platinum Member
Nov 14, 2000
I take a Costco one every day. I have never noticed a difference but I figure I mine as well get 100% of that daily reccomended stuff, I wouldn't get it any other way.

Nohr

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2001
www.flickr.com
For the past couple months I've been taking OneSource multivitamin/multimineral pills more or less daily (sometimes I forget). Can't say I've noticed any difference but hey, it can't hurt.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Everytime i take a multivitamin i get sick. I think my body is used to not having any.