Do you support clinically depressed owning firearms?

Depressed owning firearms

• Yes across the board, depression and firearms is okay.

• Civilians should not have access, police should.

• No across the board, depression is dangerous with firearms

• Police should not have access, and civilians should

Results are only viewable after voting.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Even when it's police that are depressed? Many times police need to operate on a double standard in order to effectively perform their job, is being able to own a firearm and continue their duty while depressed one of them? Should we give them the chance to work through their troubles while still having access to firearms?

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
My answer has to be yes across the board. Otherwise all the Secret Service agents that are depressed about protecting an asshole like Obama wouldn't be able to carry a weapon.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Yes. Although those with access to guns who are depressed are more likely than a non gun-owner to kill themselves, due to the ease of doing it, there are millions (many) of clinically depressed the country. It's easy to be one of the lot and requiring all such people have no gun is unrealistic.

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
There are various levels of depression and depression by itself is not an indication of mental psychosis. Some psychos might be depressed, but not all patients suffering from depression are psychos or lunatics or dangers to themselves.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
There are various levels of depression and depression by itself is not an indication of mental psychosis. Some psychos might be depressed, but not all patients suffering from depression are psychos or lunatics or dangers to themselves.

I wonder if the OP would post something about blacks and firearms. The ignorance of the general public regarding health issues is staggering and about as damning as racist attitudes
from a century ago.

Yes, it's ok for people with depression to own firearms.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Who is going to define the level of depression it takes not to own a firearm?

It is a common practice to give people that take a lot of medication for pain, an anti-depressant medication. Most of these people do not really have depression. They just dont feel very good. That is not clinical depression.

Same goes for some preagnant women.

Maybe we should start executing the Doctors also? They are the ones who are responsible. Maybe they would start reporting some patients as medically dangerous if we held them responsible.

Also if law enforcement gets a report that a person is considered dangerous and they dont sieze the weapons in the home maybe the Police should also be executed for not enforcing the law?

Last edited:

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
I wonder if the OP would post something about blacks and firearms. The ignorance of the general public regarding health issues is staggering and about as damning as racist attitudes
from a century ago.

Yes, it's ok for people with depression to own firearms.

No the OP wouldn't post something about blacks.

There are currently states that do not allow you to own a firearm if you are diagnosed as depressed or taking antidepressants. Those same states allow police to be taking antidepressants and continue their duties with a firearm.

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
Yes.

Disqualifying someone from owning a firearm due to "mental illness" is a really slippery slope in my opinion.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
At the college where I work they periodically have what they call Depression Screening. I always thought it was a reason to get free drugs.

Some people think if they arent completely happy they are depressed.

So do they also take gun rights away if you get Medical Marijuana?

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Stupid question is stupid.

Not all depressed people are psychotic or suicidal. A person should not be allowed to own a gun only if they are a danger to themselves or others. That determination is a case-by-case matter.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Anything could be considered menatally unfit. I see these commercials for Adult ADHD. That is a mental medication also. Alcohol is also a drug. If you are an alcoholic maybe you shouldnt own a gun either.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
No the OP wouldn't post something about blacks.

There are currently states that do not allow you to own a firearm if you are diagnosed as depressed or taking antidepressants. Those same states allow police to be taking antidepressants and continue their duties with a firearm.

I'm sure there was a time when blacks couldn't own firearms. Any state with this requirement is acting in ignorance. Looks like bigotry based on ignorance isn't going away.

Last edited:

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
What if I asked the question in a different manner:

"Do you support people declared clinically depressed by the state being denied constitutional rights?"

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
My answer has to be yes across the board. Otherwise all the Secret Service agents that are depressed about protecting an asshole like Obama wouldn't be able to carry a weapon.

Then I guess my answer would have to be no across the board. Otherwise people who have read too many of your posts baselessly bashing Obama might become depressed and shoot you. I don't wish death on you, so for your protection, I have to vote no.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Then I guess my answer would have to be no across the board. Otherwise people who have read too many of your posts baselessly bashing Obama might become depressed and shoot you. I don't wish death on you, so for your protection, I have to vote no.

Too bad a disgruntled non depressed liberal illegally toting a gun could still shoot him. :sneaky:

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
I do not support the idea of the "clinically depressed" being denied a Constitutional right. Should any of the millions of people in the US taking Zoloft or Paxil be denied their 1st Amendment rights?

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
I love how there are many no access replies but nobody has bothered defending that choice here.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Stupid question is stupid.

Not all depressed people are psychotic or suicidal. A person should not be allowed to own a gun only if they are a danger to themselves or others. That determination is a case-by-case matter.

I'm not sure it's that stupid of a question.

So you are punishing an individual before a crime is committed based on statistical likelihoods? Interesting way to deprive people of rights. I guess discrimination can only go into chemical brain balances and can't touch on issues of sex, race, religious affiliation though right?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Clinically depressed can own firearms. It isn't against the law nor should it ever be.

You don't get to take away somebody's rights just because you diagnose them with a very common disease.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

He is just a bitter old twat who has no life, not sure if he ever had one before everyone he knew ostracized him. We are left with the crumbs of what used to be a man but has now turned into an emasculated manbitch who blames everyone else for his problems, well... not everyone, just Obama/Liberals... anyhow

I know lots of people who are depressed who own 'firearms' and rightfully so. that's not the litmus test nor should it be imho.

Last edited:

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008

If I can provide a base for claiming that Obama is an asshole and some secret service agents don't like him, would that validate my claim in your eyes? If I can provide evidence that modern psychiatry can claim that almost everyone is clinally depressed at some time or another in their lives would that bolster the claim?
Just seeing where you're setting the goalposts .

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Depression is really suppression of feelings, the feeling that life is meaningless because one doesn't feel anything combined with total ignorance that this is ones condition. Depression is can be cured by getting in touch with what one is feeling but that can cause the ignorant, who have no idea what awaits them, to go insane. Depression, therefore, is best addressed in a therapeutic environment with somebody who has real knowledge and especially in group therapy. We live in the dark ages. May as well solve the problems of the dark ages before we move on to who should have guns.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Clinically depressed can own firearms. It isn't against the law nor should it ever be.

You don't get to take away somebody's rights just because you diagnose them with a very common disease.

I'm fairly sure both in Illinois and in New Jersey you lose your ability to own a gun if you are taking antidepressants.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013

Depends on the level/type of depression. If we are talking about someone with bipolar / manic depression then no, I wouldn't want them to have access to a gun. In addition, there are some people who suffer from PTSD and the depression can cause them to think irrationally. Depression does physically alter the brain and makes it impossible to think logically, and perceptions are skewed.