Votes: 19 29.2%
  • No

Votes: 13 20.0%

• Total voters

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Do you still use optical media?

I still use it on a regular basis via the Public library which has both DVD and Blu-rays.

I also use Red box on occasion.

Haven't tried Netflix DVD service yet though.

Last edited:

PianoMan

Jan 28, 2006
As software delivery = no.

As archival media = yes; M-Disc BDXLs.

As movies = yes, for shows I want to keep (not casually watch). I will watch HD content streamed on Netflix or Blu-ray (I have a 1x disc account with Netflix as well), but will buy those movies I want to keep (Fury [Brad Pitt] and Sicario are my latest "in-queue" purchases). I use RedBox on occasion too. I can't remember the last time I watched a DVD.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Only when I buy used music CDs to rip them to my music collection on the computer.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Only for my vintage rigs. Never do for my everyday rig.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Extremely rare, I voted no. I don't even have an optical drive on my main machine as I run Linux so even for OS I install from USB. Have one in my Windows machine but it's rarely used other than if reinstalling the OS. The OS and drivers all come on CD still. Though I've been pondering for a while, optical media is probably the best thing for archival right now, and been thinking I have a lot of stuff I should probably archive like pictures. Might be worth getting some "archive" grade discs and burning some of the more important stuff.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Is kind of odd watching optical drives going to the realm of floppy drive heaven these days.

Iterate, iterate, iterate.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I back up important data to DVD/RW and those get stored in my fireproof safe. In fact, all of my website's total around 250MB with database so when I compress in a SFX encrypted archive I burn that to DVD/RW as well.

I bought a LG Blu-ray burner this past summer and a $20 50GB Blu-ray disk to back up my massive Flight Simulator install because I don't trust HDDs. Well, the damn POS burner turned my $20 disk into a coaster and never could burn a DVD/RW. I have yet to buy another Blu-ray drive after that experience. Might go Pioneer, then I need to buy yet another $20 Blu-ray disk. Ugh! I went though hell with that thing. Even thought it was the SATA controller and bought a dedicated PCI-e SATA controller. Drive was still shot. No more LG! Especially since you couldn't even update its firmware! What bunk.

Reactions: PliotronX

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I have an LG 14X Blu-Ray burner in my main rig. Hasn't given me a lick of problems, although I generally stick to burning single-layer media. No "exotic" media, like triple-layer BD-XL or RE. Although I have burned a couple of DVD+R DL discs in it, though they weren't full-capacity burns, just slightly exceeding the capacity of single-layer.

Yeah, I still burn optical media. Lots of Linux distros.

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
I back up important data to DVD/RW and those get stored in my fireproof safe. In fact, all of my website's total around 250MB with database so when I compress in a SFX encrypted archive I burn that to DVD/RW as well.

I bought a LG Blu-ray burner this past summer and a $20 50GB Blu-ray disk to back up my massive Flight Simulator install because I don't trust HDDs. Well, the damn POS burner turned my $20 disk into a coaster and never could burn a DVD/RW. I have yet to buy another Blu-ray drive after that experience. Might go Pioneer, then I need to buy yet another $20 Blu-ray disk. Ugh! I went though hell with that thing. Even thought it was the SATA controller and bought a dedicated PCI-e SATA controller. Drive was still shot. No more LG! Especially since you couldn't even update its firmware! What bunk.
Pioneer drives have never failed me :) I have been archiving family photos and video onto BD-R M-Disc which Pioneer burners work great with. The M-Disc blanks are supposed to last hundreds of years.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Pioneer drives have never failed me :) I have been archiving family photos and video onto BD-R M-Disc which Pioneer burners work great with. The M-Disc blanks are supposed to last hundreds of years.

Exactly! I bought that LG because it was M-disk compatible. Do you know of a good Pioneer that does BD-XL and M-disk? I think that might be a tall order as I haven't found one. I need BD-XL for its massive storage.

Reactions: PliotronX

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
Exactly! I bought that LG because it was M-disk compatible. Do you know of a good Pioneer that does BD-XL and M-disk? I think that might be a tall order as I haven't found one. I need BD-XL for its massive storage.
Oh yeah we had his discussion I think, was the BDR-2209 only capable of non-M-disc BDXL? I can't recall. Shoot, I need to find out too cuz 25GB only seemed huge in a galaxy long ago and not too far away :D

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Oh yes. Both for data backup storage and movie viewing.

Do you know of a good Pioneer that does BD-XL and M-disk?

Oh yeah we had his discussion I think, was the BDR-2209 only capable of non-M-disc BDXL?

The BDR-2209, BDR-S09XLT and BDR-209EBK are actually the same drive packaged for different regions. The official media support list (available here), doesn't mention BDXL M-DISC at all. I must also admit I haven't tried on my own 209, so I'm not in a position to answer if they work.

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
Well I seem to recall that it can handle BDXL and M-disc but possibly not BDXL M-disc .. Are you going to be the guinea pig? :D

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
TBH, I don't know if there is such a thing as "BDXL M-DISC". There's BDXL-R, which is triple 33GB layer, AFAIK, and there's "BD M-DISC", which AFAIK is a single-layer 25GB. I've never heard of a multi-layer M-DISC media.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
When I bought my dysfunctional Blu-ray burnner I just bought one Sony BDXL disk on Amazon. I really just need one.