Do you still drink the milk after the sell by date?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Depends how much is in there. If you buy it 10 days before the sell by date and drink 3/4 of it, it will probably be bad around the sell-by date. Don't leave a little on the bottom and let it sit for 10 days. That REALLY reaks.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: minendo
Originally posted by: bockchow
even if it's fine my mind will create a problem with it.
That is the largest problem with consumers. Perception is what caused Crystal Clear Pepsi to fail.

The perception that it tasted like battery acid, yes.

sillymofo

Banned
Aug 11, 2003
Originally posted by: conjur
There's a reason that is called the "sell-by" date and not an "expiration" date.

Yeah... but most milk goes sour one day after the sell-by date. Care to explain?

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Jzero
The perception that it tasted like battery acid, yes.
So you don't like normal Pepsi either?

Contrary to what certain marketing monkeys would have us believe, Crystal Pepsi did not taste the same as regular Pepsi.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: cr4zymofo
There's a reason that is called the "sell-by" date and not an "expiration" date.

Yeah... but most milk goes sour one day after the sell-by date. Care to explain?

Mine usually goes for almost 2 weeks after the date. Maybe your fridge isn't cold enough?

shimsham

Lifer
May 9, 2002
HELL NO!

one big gulp of rotten milk has cured that. as soon as its past the sell date, i pitch it. not worth the chance.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Contrary to what certain marketing monkeys would have us believe, Crystal Pepsi did not taste the same as regular Pepsi.
It was the same formulation minus coloring.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It was the same formulation minus coloring.

You've seen it? I'll buy it off of you!
Same ingredients? Maybe. Same taste? It did something to it.

Imdmn04

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002

no they dont, u just think it taste weird because u see the date has expired, can u say placebo effect?
from my experience, most of time, the milk doesnt turn bad until at least 3-4 days later than the sell by date.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Have I seen the formula? No. Have I spoken with people who have? Yes. According to our Food Chemistry professor, the only ingredient missing was Caramel Color, which provides little to no flavor. Blind taste tests revealed that people could not tell the difference.

sillymofo

Banned
Aug 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Imdmn04
Originally posted by: conjur There's a reason that is called the "sell-by" date and not an "expiration" date.
no they dont, u just think it taste weird because u see the date has expired, can u say placebo effect? from my experience, most of time, the milk doesnt turn bad until at least 3-4 days later than the sell by date.

Actually, my taste bud told me that it's sour before I look at the expiration date. And my fridge is fcuking cold.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Have I seen the formula? No. Have I spoken with people who have? Yes. According to our Food Chemistry professor, the only ingredient missing was Caramel Color, which provides little to no flavor. Blind taste tests revealed that people could not tell the difference.

Why did they get rid of it then? I was too young to remember it :(

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: XZeroII

Why did they get rid of it then? I was too young to remember it :(
Customer perception led to low sales.

Greg03

Jul 24, 2002
Did you ever notice that the sell-by date is earlier for NYC? Do you honestly think the milk sours faster in NYC?
If it passes the sniff test, it's good.

Um...yes. Only in NY does it sit out on the sidewalk and in 50F coolers.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: XZeroII
Depends how much is in there. If you buy it 10 days before the sell by date and drink 3/4 of it, it will probably be bad around the sell-by date. Don't leave a little on the bottom and let it sit for 10 days. That REALLY reaks.
LOL, you are referring to schwags! :beer: