Do you still drink the milk after the sell by date?

zmatrix

Mar 1, 2001
I had my milk carton sitting in my fridge with a few days past the sell by date. I drank it. It didtn't taste funny or anything. Still in it's liquid form.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
There's a reason that is called the "sell-by" date and not an "expiration" date.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Did you ever notice that the sell-by date is earlier for NYC? Do you honestly think the milk sours faster in NYC?
If it passes the sniff test, it's good.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: conjur
There's a reason that is called the "sell-by" date and not an "expiration" date.
Exactly. Plus after pastuerization, the most common degradation of milk components is quality related and will not make you sick.

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
sell by date is the day that store should sell it.... after that, it usually is 7 days more in consumer's fridge.

Need4Speed

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 1999
milk doesnt have a timer that makes it go bad on that date....depends on a lot of things..in short..i drink it till it starts to smell like a$$

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Personally, I won't touch it myself, but you should be fine so long as it's not turning into cottage cheese. Unless, of course, you happen to like wet, soggy cottage cheese.

zmatrix

Mar 1, 2001
All the people I know chuck their milk away a day or two after the sell by date.

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
I usually start checking the milk carefully 4-5 days after the sell by date. Haven't gotten sick yet..........

prvteye2003

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
I'm religously stingy with my milk. I won't drink the last little bit left nor will I let anyone drink out of my glass of milk, not even my kids. Don't know why, I've always been like that.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: atom
I usually start checking the milk carefully 4-5 days after the sell by date. Haven't gotten sick yet..........
You won't unless post-processing contamination occured and/or the milk was not stored under ideal storage conditions (refigeration temperature or below).

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Jzero
Did you ever notice that the sell-by date is earlier for NYC? Do you honestly think the milk sours faster in NYC?
If it passes the sniff test, it's good.

so i shouldnt be letting my 2 yr old test it to see if its "yucky"?

damn

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
If it's still good, sure.

Milk is typically good for 7-10 days after the sell by date.

You aren't going to get sick, even if the milk is completely sour.

Not long ago when I had a sinus infection(couldn't smell), I grabbed a carton and took a huge drink. I thought it tasted funny, and I couldn't really figure it out.. then I mustered enough strength to sniff it.

EWwwwww!! I about puked. I didn't get sick or feel weird or anything though. :p

bockchow

Platinum Member
Sep 18, 2001
nope i'll drink it the day before the date on the bottle after i've tested it a bit but on the date and after i won't touch the stuff. even if it's fine my mind will create a problem with it.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: bockchow
even if it's fine my mind will create a problem with it.
That is the largest problem with consumers. Perception is what caused Crystal Clear Pepsi to fail.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I've got 2 kids... boys.... A gallon of milk in our house never comes close to the sell by date before it's gone.
I can buy 2 gallons of milk, and they'll both be gone long before the sell by date.

I drink waaay too much milk for expiration to be an issue (oreos + milk, cereal (lots of it) + milk).

<-- is a gallon-per-week kind of guy.