Do you set your refresh rate to highest possible?

jrichrds

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just curious if you guys set your refresh rate to the highest possible for any particular display resolution, or to the lowest refresh rate in which you can't tell there's any flickering?

I don't see any flickering at 85Hz (can't stand 75Hz), but I set it at the max of 120Hz in the off-chance that it might reduce eye strain afte prolonged periods of staring at the monitor. But I'm curious whether it slows down the video (not really a big deal since I only use 2D), or decreases the life of the monitor (not that anyone will want a CRT after LCDs get cheap in a few more years!)

JHutch

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
You know, that's an interesting question. Does a high refresh rate affect the "life" of the CRT in any way? I'm curious, so if anyone knows, speak up.

JHutch

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I always used the highest refresh on my old CRT monitor (85hz@1024x768). Nowadays, the refresh is 60 on my Sony M51 LCD....no difference. Using a higher refresh rate will not slow down the speed of video. To the best of my knowledge it doesn't lower the life of a CRT, most CRT's last just about forever.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I set mine to 85hz,the reason being that seems to give me the sharpest image quality even at desktop.

:)

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002

Generally monitors should be run as close as possible to 85hz. You'll often find this is the highest available frequency at the "sweet spot" resolution. Running too far above or below is a bad thing. Just because you can do 120Hz doesn't mean you should. Typical "sweet spot" resolutions are 1024 on a 17", 1280 on a 19" and 1600 on a 21". You'll find on these monitors at the corresponding resolution that 85hz is the max (or one notch from it). If you run at the correct res then the refresh rate just falls in place. If you run at a lower res you'll generally have to "push" your refresh rate down to reach 85hz.

I don't know what model of monitor you have, but the above is a fairly accurate rule to use. If you pour over your monitor specs you'll find the res and refresh that the manufacturer intended.