Do you run Multiple DC Projects?

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
How many of you out there run more than one type of distributed computing projects? If you were to run SETI and another one of the DC projects on a single computer, would it greatly slow down the SETI WU times or vice versa? Just curious. I would like to check out some of the other DC projects but I don't want to take my rigs away from SETI.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
For me it's all or nothin'! I run ECCp on my 2 AMD boxen since they do so well at it and SETI on my Northwood since it loves SETI but runs like a 700Duron at ECCp :disgust: Anyways I think running both on 1 rig probably causes both to suffer but the DC GURUs will have the final say on that ;) so bump!

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
I run UD on 2 of my SETI boxes at the moment(soon to be ALL my machines) since UD counts time the app is running instead of how many "units" it crunches. The only problem I've seen is that it takes forever to complete a UD unit but since it isn't my main project I don't much care because I get a fair amount of "points" when it finally does complete one.

As far as impacting SETI....I don't think it takes much time away from SETI - maybe a couple mins per WU. SETI has a higher thread priority so UD just sits in the background running its timer while SETI feverishly crunches away:D

CADkindaGUY

Freewolf

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2001
I run TSC at the same time as seti on all my machines and when running windows xp pro with 256 megs ddr has no effect on my seti times. I don't think the TSC program runs as fast as it would if I was running it alone but it is still fast enough to put me in the top 250 in the TSC ranking and still climbing.:)

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I've run RC5, F@H, and ECCp, but SETI has by far had my greatest committment of resources; I've built machines, bought WUs(eBay) and gotten a legal license plate to advertise it.

I'm a SETI nut and proud of it. :)

EDIT: I should note that there is a 1.7 GHz P4 at my work that I assimilated(with permission) that runs F@H - that's the only project allowed to run on it due to the user's disbelief about the validity of SETI.
rolleye.gif

DJSnairdA

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2000
Doing some work is better than doing no work! ;)

I see no problem with running more than 1 DC project, but maybe a good investment to buy another rig for separate projects for better performance. You can get fast (well, were the fastest) for near to nothing these days..

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've currently got all of my clients running 100% SETI except my mom's machine doing the Distributed Folding project. I did have about 25% of my CPU power devoted to the DF project (still top 5 on the TeAm :) ) but moved them back to SETI in effort to hold back the BBR team. Every little bit helps. :)

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Thanks for all the replies, I will be checking into UD and TSC since they don't affect SETI much. I wont be taking machines away from SETI though so don't worry.

Anyone else?

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i only run one project per box
but i have participated in the following

SETI
RC5
G@H
F@H
DF
ECCP
Muon Neutrino Factory
Chessbrain
D2OL
TSC
Ubero
UD-FindaDrug
GIMPS (only did one or two of the shorter ones, none of the 50-90 day deals)
Seventeen or Bust

i think that is all

joinT

Lifer
Jan 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Fingers
I'm in the same boat with cadkindaguy.

Same here, got UD installed w/ ECCp on all my rigs, 'cept my northwood, which I "traded" to CADkindaGUY for a Tbird 1.5g (I run SETI, he runs ECCp for me :))

Crazee

Elite Member
Nov 20, 2001
I have run Seti, ECCp, and DF but always one per box. I am strictly on Seti right now since my rack has been down for a bit while making its way across the country :) When it is back up I will look at how we are doing holding BBR off and then decide if I can redistribute some of my home fleet or not.

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
For the projects I've tried:
UD is priority 1
Seti@Home is priority 4
"classic" Genome@Home is priority 4
Folding@home is either priority 1, or 4. Can also throttle cpu-usage.

Priority 1 is the lowests, so UD will lose to all the others here, except folding@home then set to idle(default)
The projects with the same priority should share the resources evenly... 2 projects, 50-50, 3 projects 33-33-33...

Some of the projects I haven't tried is also priority 1...

TNOguy

Jan 5, 2002
ancient K6-2 Aptiva (350 MHz or so): Folding, UD, ECCp

dual XP-1800: Folding, Distrib. Folding, TSC, ECCp x 2 (normally), UD

PII-450: Folding, ECCp, UD

Van Daminator Crack Rack: (4 nodes, each XP 1800): Folding, Eccp, SETI (each)

Uh, other "acquired" resources :D : 20 x SETI clients :cool:

TNOguy

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
I set up UD on my P133 rig, just to test it out. I didn't get much time to look at it thought because I had a study session at my house. Where can I check out my UD stats?

If it doesn't hurt SETI I will probably install it on my other rigs too.

TNOguy

Jan 5, 2002
Note: Folding@Home, Distributed Folding, and UD work very, very well with other CPU-hog clients like SETI or ECCp.....:)