Do you remember the Kentucky Shooter? He finally got sentenced.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

Its good he got justice, but sadly I dont think it will be a deterrent to other nuts. I am of the opinion we need to solve society's core issues, instead of getting really good at cleaning up the aftermath.

Yeah, long sentences are seldom a deterrent in crime as a whole, let alone if someone is disturbed enough to open fire at a high school.

I can only imagine that the possibility of parole is there because he's a teen. If he were an adult, he'd probably never get out.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yeah, long sentences are seldom a deterrent in crime as a whole, let alone if someone is disturbed enough to open fire at a high school.

I can only imagine that the possibility of parole is there because he's a teen. If he were an adult, he'd probably never get out.

The article says he was tried as an adult. But if they went "easy" on him because hes young, I'm not sure I'm ok with that

I'll have to review news about this one more. I dont recall what his motivation was, etc..

Dec 10, 2005
Eligible for parole in 20 years? I'm not sure how I feel about that one.
This country's penal system is too punishment focused. Everyone should be given a chance to reform. 20 years won't bring anyone back to life, but it is still a long time to take away someone's freedom. Plus, no guarantee he gets parole at the 20 year mark and he still has a very very long sentence

Last edited:
Reactions: fskimospy
Jul 9, 2009
Your mind is so twisted you're seeing what you want to see when you read. This time re-read it slowly or perhaps one of us can explain what he wrote.
Sorry, but someone that commits such a horrible act as murdering school children should have been sentenced to death. As an alternative i would accept life in prison with no chance of parole.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Sorry, but someone that commits such a horrible act as murdering school children should have been sentenced to death. As an alternative i would accept life in prison with no chance of parole.

I'm lazy so I'll repeat the same tired meme.

^^^ Edited for accuracy.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
This country's penal system is too punishment focused. Everyone should be given a chance to reform. 20 years won't bring anyone back to life, but it is still a long time to take away someone's freedom. Plus, no guarantee he gets parole at the 20 year mark and he still has a very very long sentence

I understand what you're saying. It's my own (and others I'm sure) internal struggle to cope with such violence directed towards children. My authoritarian religious up bringing makes me want to do the eye for an eye thing. But my more grown up self knows that our society should try and figure out how to help people in such distress that they would do such terrible things, otherwise we're not much better than those who would commit the terrible act to begin with. I also understand that KY laws probably differ from other states. It's possible in other states the sentence could be worse.

You make a very good point, that I have much less trouble with when applied to other types of things we consider crimes. Violence or abuse of children is a tough one for me to use use my brain instead of my feels

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Without know what his motivations were and what kind of person he is, isn't it a little pointless to talk about whether punishment/reform in this case should take higher priority?