Do you remember that little ASCII D&D/RPG type game game called ROGUE?

mellondust

Nov 20, 2001
I used to love to play that game even thought it was graphically antique. I ussually could only get to around level 13 where I always got killed by Trolls or Yetis. Is there a place to find a copy of that anywhere? I would like to play it again for old times sakes. I had one version that worked on a regular pc but lost the disk. Most of the other versions I played were on unix based systems.

exp

Platinum Member
May 9, 2001
Great, great game. :) ADOM is my personal favorite from the genre though.

Here is a good site for rogue-like games, complete with reviews, downloads, etc.

mellondust

Nov 20, 2001
Great, just what I was looking for! The unix based rogue games had so much more to them, like different classes of characters, I am down loading a couple of these right now(56k), but are any of these similar to the good unix ones? One thing I didn't like about the pc rogue version was you could only be the warrior. I have an old computer I think I will put linux on becuase it seems some of these might be compatible with it. Anyone know?

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: exp
Great, great game. :) ADOM is my personal favorite from the genre though.

Here is a good site for rogue-like games, complete with reviews, downloads, etc.

*Gurgle* *Drool* :D

Still have Angband on my PC, but didn't have Rogue anymore :)

crobusa

Oct 3, 2001
I've played Larn for 11 years. I tried Rogue, but never liked it much. (How do you get back down the stairs, some #$@ force kept me back.) Up a winding staircase to infinaty or death.

Larn was the best game of it's genre IMHO, and almost stunning resemblance to the gameplay of Diablo, cept its turn based and text.
14 random levels of pure demons and treasure. Better yet, it gives the player and incentive to continue forward and risk it all, because the longer you explore, the more monsters spawn and wait for you. Firing a string of fireballs at the gnome kings throne, just before you pry the precious jewels off and sell them. Mistyping the 3-letter spell made you loose the opportunity to case and could kill you. And then that cure for that unpronounceable disease

Those were the days... But no go under XP/NT (have it in 98se). Damn you, MS.

wnied

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Ti-99/4A Radioshack days....

Hunt The Wumpus & PARSEC

We couldnt play parsec for too long of a time or the Ti-99 would get hot and start freezing.
~wnied~