Do you really think Trump will get the GOP nomination?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Hey. Give the op a break.
One day the sleepers will awaken suddenly, especially republican sleepers, and bing bang boom, Donald Trump is your guy leading your party in November 2016, like it or not.
It's not wise to ignore Donald Trump.
Not wise to brush Donald T off as just some fluke that will go away.

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
If an actor like Ronald Reagan and a dorky drunk like GWB can make it, ANYBODY can make it in the Republican party!

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I hope not.

I suspect that when silly season draws to a close, people get back from their summer vacations, and start seriously thinking about which candidates are best equipped to deal with the problems faced by this country, Trump's support will go the way of Bachmann 2012.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I hope not.

I suspect that when silly season draws to a close, people get back from their summer vacations, and start seriously thinking about which candidates are best equipped to deal with the problems faced by this country, Trump's support will go the way of Bachmann 2012.

Can you define silly season or serious thinking for me? I am also curious as to what you mean by best equipped.

TheGardener

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2014
Can you define silly season or serious thinking for me? I am also curious as to what you mean by best equipped.
Don't look for me to ever repeat this to one of your reply's but..... :thumbsup:

I think comparing Buchmann, who never achieved more than 1% approval in the Presidential polls to Trump shows that you don't have both feet on the ground. We aren't even into 2016 yet, so a lot can and will happen. But whether he wins the nomination or not, he's had a huge impact. Imagine garnering more news and attention than Hillary Clinton and all her baggage and scandals. That includes CNN! And that impact scares the the Bejesus out of Democrats and many Republicans. Doesn't it?

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
And that impact scares the the Bejesus out of Democrats and many Republicans. Doesn't it?

Not Democrats; to them Trump is the answer to their strategic prayers.

People like Trump, Bachmann, Ross Perot and particularly Sarah Palin have and will continue to ensure presidential election victories for the Democratic Party.

Hell, even Barry Goldwater was a good thing for Dems.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Don't look for me to ever repeat this to one of your reply's but..... :thumbsup:

I think comparing Buchmann, who never achieved more than 1% approval in the Presidential polls to Trump shows that you don't have both feet on the ground. We aren't even into 2016 yet, so a lot can and will happen. But whether he wins the nomination or not, he's had a huge impact. Imagine garnering more news and attention than Hillary Clinton and all her baggage and scandals. That includes CNN! And that impact scares the the Bejesus out of Democrats and many Republicans. Doesn't it?
maybe Bachmann was offbase, but I think the Trump surge is certainly comparable to Rick Perry, Herman Cain, and Newt Gingrich's surges throughout the 2012 campaign (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep.../republican_presidential_nomination-1452.html)

perhaps I'll be eating crow in 3 months, but personally -- having spent the last 25 years living in NYC where Donald Trump has been a media mainstay -- I don't see his popularity lasting through the fall.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

It just shows how effectively Repubs have radicalized their base over the last 40 years, rendering them mostly irrational. Trump is a symptom of a self inflicted disease.

Nov 8, 2012
Ruh Roh - Trump is scaring some people by proposing something intelligent for the overall future of the US economy.

Trump's tax plan worries GOP
Donald Trump is taking on tax reform, and his plan has already alarmed some conservative groups. The Donald has suggested raising taxes on hedge funds and corporations that don't act in the best interest of the U.S.

God forbid we do some things like close the tax loophole for companies that make an acquisition overseas and then claim their headquarters are located in the overseas location... Or simply make companies that outsource pay more than those that keep jobs at home....

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Corporate taxes should be zero, tax the dividends. And yes, taxes on dividends should be higher, taxed at the same graduated rates as personal income. (In aggregate with personal income.)

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
If you're lazy.. it just says he's a fascist.
he's quite literally a nazi, right?

Corporate taxes should be zero, tax the dividends. And yes, taxes on dividends should be higher, taxed at the same graduated rates as personal income. (In aggregate with personal income.)
so if you're an industrial town that hosts a big sprawling factory you get pollution and infrastructure costs, and yet the only money you see is the taxes from the incomes of the poorest workers who happen to be able to afford only to live near to the plant (and probably pay almost no taxes due to low income) and not in the suburbs with the management and owners.

Not gonna happen. You have to tax corporations in some way.

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It just shows how effectively Repubs have radicalized their base over the last 40 years, rendering them mostly irrational. Trump is a symptom of a self inflicted disease.

This says much, but not all, in my opinion. I think Trump is not a symptom of a party disease, but the manifestation of the disease that is our system. He is the product of fear caused by a system in which only the most ruthless and ego driven can win, a system in which all the virtues of success make for a worthless human being, folk who step on others to win. Trump is an American dream, an egotist par excellence, rich beyond avarice, famous around the world, and emotionally uncontained. He is the avatar of the American psyche, what the system wants us all to be. That is the disease, you and me and our dreams, the champions of capitalism. What chance would a man like Bernie Sanders have in a country like that?

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
I'm glad Trump is in this, but I'm still not sure he wants the job. I'm not confident Trump has real plans to be elected and he really doesn't want to be President; he just likes the attention he gets from running for President and to show everyone he can win it.

Trump and his team are doing a brilliant job of drawing in a particular segment of Republican voters, but in reality, the people who support Trump don't actually support Trump's positions. He's seems to be ok with abortion, he seems to be ok with tax increases, he seems to be ok with a single payer healthcare system. He's from friggin' New York City, and a careful review of Trump will show that he is, at the least, a moderate, and possibly even *gasp* a liberal!

He has no qualms about saying rude things to people. And he has enough money to get away with it without ever needing to apologize. He appeals to people who, because of lack of education, opportunity, or personal legacy, have no power themselves. Their boss tells them what to do at work, their preachers tell them how to behave, news pundits tell them what to think about the world and politics, and far more powerful people lead the social consciousness.

In short, they feel powerless. Which makes them afraid. Afraid that foreigners will take away what little career they have. Afraid that the government will take away their rights. Afraid that gays will make them queer. And, while all of this is going on, they hear that other people (minorities) are deserving of "special" treatment (that is, rights and accommodation). Which makes them angry and resentful.

So when a guy stands up and talks down to the powers that be, he reaches that inner desire to tell all of the "special" minorities to go fuck themselves. And tell the people in charge to shove it. And tell the politicians that they are idiots. They wish they could be that guy. They want to be powerful and important, and they want people to ask them about the important decisions of the day. Trump satisfies this angst....for now.

But if Trump ever has to talk actual policy, and give actual details, they will drop him in droves as they realize that he doesn't really have their back and interests in mind. He's a businessman with an international reach who cares about the bottom line. And when that becomes apparent, they'll realize that he is just another bigwig who is telling them to shut up and listen to orders. And they'll go back to being pissed off at the world, frustrated with their impotence.

Zor Prime

Nov 7, 1999
I think Trump will get the GOP nomination and I'm not sure it's fully set in with them yet but the GOP has no choice but to concede and let him be their guy or they won't have a chance to win the white house.

Here's some other things I see playing out.

The vice presidency will play a larger role than ever before. What do you do in business? Good managers delegate. Trump will delegate all the crap he doesn't want to do. If it's not a pet project or a big deal, Trump is going to delegate it.

I also think Carson or Cruz will be the VP. I originally thought Cruz, but Carson has been gaining traction and Trump has not stepped on either of their toes so far and vice versa.

There's benefits to either, but Trump will lock in the black vote if he brings along Carson and Trump isn't an idiot, he knows this stuff.

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004
Trump is old news.

You guys should be talking about Ben Carson.

He has the advantage of appealing as a political outsider, like Trump, but Carson actually has a brain.

If Carson gets nominated, I think the Dems will lose.

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
Rubio to Trump: 'America is great' right now
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/252442-rubio-to-trump-america-is-great

NY Mag: Romney's Horror at Trump Renews 'Mitt 2016' Talk
http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/mi...trump-run/2015/09/01/id/673109/#ixzz3kYkQll8M

Bush-Trump feud intensifies in GOP primary
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20150901/us--gop_2016-bush-f900e976eb.html

9ff.gif

Last edited:

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Trump is old news.

You guys should be talking about Ben Carson.

He has the advantage of appealing as a political outsider, like Trump, but Carson actually has a brain.

If Carson gets nominated, I think the Dems will lose.
LOL no.