• I read a local newspaper

• I read a national newspaper

• I read a local and a national newspaper

• I do not read a newspaper

Results are only viewable after voting.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I didn't for many years although we always had the L.A. Times in the house where I grew up. My dad would sit behind it in the den, he was an intellectual.

I had a roommate who subscribed to the S.F. Chronicle and I took it up, have pretty much gotten a newspaper for the last 20+ years. When the Chronicle jacked up their prices a ton around 10 years ago I went over to the Oakland Tribune. The Tribune's writing is pretty good, lots of good writers on staff and many articles from the NY Times, Associated Press, Washington Post. In this sense, it's similar to the Chronicle.

I got the Tribune very cheaply for many years, under $30/year, but suddenly they more than doubled the price around 6 months ago (I think it was 4x) so when I was offered the SF Chronicle on trial at $26 for 13 weeks, I went for that. For a period this year I got both.

Well, I don't think the writing in the Chronicle is better particularly, and living in the East Bay the Tribune's local coverage is better from my perspective but the glaring difference between the two papers is simply the quality of the printing itself. The Chronicle is clean, no smudges, no smears, almost always almost looks like a magazine printed on pulp. And the Chronicle's paper is quite a bit lighter than the Tribune's. Not in terms of weight, but in terms of reflectivity. The Tribune's paper seems like it's badly reprocessed recycled paper. The photos in the Chronicle are 2 orders of magnitude better than the Tribune's. The Tribune suffers from very frequent bad printing, pages where there are ink smears or where the ink has gotten so thin it gets pretty hard to read.

I know a lot of you people are going to say that newspapers are old fashioned and stuff like that. But I think it's a lot easier to canvas a wide array of current information from a newspaper than an online resource.
When I am on a computer (which has to be better access than you can get from a smartphone or tablet with their reduced sized screens), I'm always distracted by ads or featured story-blurb-links that smack of tabloids that you might see in lower class market checkouts.

I also subscribe to the NY Times Blog on my Kindle for $2/month. It has a new series of 15-20 stories daily. Some of the stories are New York centric, but most are not really.

I had figured to go back to the Tribune when the Chronicle trial was over because the Chronicle actually wanted over $600 for a year's subscription! Turns out they offered me the paper for $104/year, which works out to only slightly more than the Tribune's offer of $78/year when you consider that the Chronicle publishes daily and the Tribune only 6 days/week. I wasn't sure but one day I just realized that I only have one pair of eyes and reading the Tribune is just hard work compared to the Chronicle what with the horrible quality of the printing and paper.

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Nope. I have little interest in most of the stuff, and I end up with a crap ton of recyclables every week. They're a waste of time and resources; mostly... I would like to see more quality local news, but no one around here provides it. If I were younger, and inclined towards journalism, I'd consider starting a local news website.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I subscribe to the Wall Street Journal. I split my reading of it between the app and the print. It's not my only news source, but it is the the only one I pay for.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Nope. Never did. By the time I cared about the world there was already news on the internet.

Same with weather. In Minnesota you should be ready for the worst so most days you dont even need to check the weather updates. In the Navy they told us what to wear, regardless of whether it was appropriate or not. :/

Icelands weather is consistent, as is Californias. Oregon? Always kept rain gear in the car, no matter what it looked like in the morning.

Sports: I dont care. If it werent for people talking about it for weeks I would not even know who wins the superbowl each year.

Nov 8, 2012
I subscribe to the Wall Street Journal. I split my reading of it between the app and the print. It's not my only news source, but it is the the only one I pay for.

WSJ is the only paper I ever actually read. I try to grab a copy from a coffee house or plane/hotel when I travel.

That said, I'm not paying the costs for the actual paper to get to my house - and I despise digital reading.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Rarely. When I rent my buddy's cottage every summer, I'll usually grab a National Post. Globe and Mail if the shops' sold out of the other. Both the Toronto Sun and Star are just unsufferable drivel.

I had a PressReader subscription at one point a few years ago. Store I was working at had long periods of downtime between rushes. So I'd read a few different papers.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I skim the headlines of the local paper online. The price of the print edition has skyrocketed while the quality of reporting has fallen so I won't buy the local paper anymore. Most of the "reporting" is regurgitating press releases.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
I read the Washington Post every morning while eating breakfast. It is just a habit I am too old to break. Every once in a while when the delivery doesn't come on time I use my tablet but it just isn't the same.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Just about every day I read the local paper. I tried to do the tablet thing but too small and requires constant scrolling around plus my local paper charges to read it online too so not like it matters.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I get a free weekly newspaper, which TBH often ends up in the recycling. Weeks go by so fast these days, blink a few times to many and I got 3 of them accumulated where I last left them. So they go in recycling, I might skim through it real quick but I get most of my news online these days. When I'm at work we have it on the news all day as well, so I get to hear at least 4 news stories. (they just keep repeating the same stuff lol)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I read the Washington Post every morning while eating breakfast. It is just a habit I am too old to break. Every once in a while when the delivery doesn't come on time I use my tablet but it just isn't the same.

Washington Post doesnt tell you about Manassas.

The new Bad Wolf Brewery is now open. Its really nice. And Clarkes is now the Taproom, it will open soon.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
If you mean physical paper, yes, up until last year. There was a free one available when entering the subways. Stories were 100-200 words probably. Pretty brief summaries.

Cancelled the "real" newspaper years ago because we were reading everything online. We had days of newspapers still wrapped up at the end of the week to throw out.

In terms of just news, I skim or skip to the comments now online. Most of the shit I've seen is so obviously partisan, left and right, that I don't care to read it. Lots of so-called stories from investment companies, banks, very partisan think-tanks, and government "announcements" from partisan political parties passing as news.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
I get the local paper and Wall Street Journal. I stare at a computer screen most of my waking hours so it's good to have offline material to peruse.

If I didn't, I wouldn't know jack about what goes on around my town - I don't have tv and never visit the newspaper's website.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
I screwed up the poll and said i do not but i do read the local Sunday paper. I used to get USAToday a long time ago but gave it up for the internet free edition. I generally am bored by the local news. National news is where its at.

CoPhotoGuy

Nov 16, 2014
No, they are filled with inaccurate, biased propaganda these days. And spelling and grammatical errors.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
No, they are filled with inaccurate, biased propaganda these days. And spelling and grammatical errors.

Your first problem pays the bills... Your second problem makes the bills smaller. Seriously, quality has declined.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Nope. Never did. By the time I cared about the world there was already news on the internet.

pretty much this.

I paid for a subscription to the Washington Post online for a year because I got a 50% off coupon, but while I think it was worth it at half the cost, I couldn't stomach paying $100/year to read a website and haven't gotten a sale offer since.