Do you post your GPU to Steam Survey?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Do you submit your GPU details to Steam for their online survey statistics?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Hmmm... could it be that most Steam users are FPS-leaning gamers? In that case, Steam could very well be representative of FPS gamers preferences... just thinking out loud, throwing it out there, you know...

At first that's all there was available on Steam, but that has changed a lot over the years. I think it's more about PC Gamers being predominantly FPS Gamers or at least playing some FPS Games.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
AT Forums could be experiencing a geezer effect: At forums have been around for a while, so they've had a chance to build up a fairly mature community of regulars who are PC Gaming vets, so to speak. The geezer effect comes into play as mature users and older people in general tend to be rather averse to significant changes in the way things are done. At the ripe old age of 25, I'm already started to feel that way (those damn kids and their damn digital distribution, I remember when I was a kid you OWNED what you bought with the lunch money you saved! *waves cane*)

These same people, the regulars, are the ones most likely to vote in this poll, since anyone else is probably stopping by to get some GPU hiccup resolved, potentially skewing the results in favor of the "NO" answer choice.

I've taken the liberty to post IDC's original post verbatim (along with topic title) to some other, less "hardcore" PC gaming sites for some spectral analysis (GameFaqs, for example).

I will post some results when I have them.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
As I said in the other thread, these games are almost must-haves for people that are fans of the FPS genre. Not everyone plays shooters. For people who's main shtick are RTSs, RPGs, MMOs, sims, almost anything but FPS, the likelihood of having Steam installed is slim. I wouldn't use the service if I hadn't bought Orange Box and/or L4D.

As for the 2 games you mentioned, I have no intention of getting L4D2 because I don't see how it's any different that the first one, and I'm not going to pay $40 to play a slightly different version of something I already have. MW2 isn't on my radar either as I don't want to give the publisher the idea that charging me $10 over standard for a computer game is ok.

I didn't notice, does Steam count SLi or CX setups? Do they count them as a separate category or as 2 distinct cards?

still it is the fps that drives cutting edge hardware sales. there are occasional oblivions, but mostly its fps. so even then the steam survey should bias towards the higher end.