Do you pay sales tax for Internet purchases?

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
It appears many people don't know or choose to ignore the fact that many states require residents to pay sales tax for items purchased from an out-of-state Internet or mail order vendor. If the tax is not collected by the seller, then the resident has to include it on the annual state tax return.

I wrote in an estimated amount . . . surely they don't expect me to keep track of every purchase!

z42

Apr 22, 2006
Of course I pay Uncle Sam the money that I owe him!

Are there any IRS employees on ATOT?

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: z42
Of course I pay Uncle Sam the money that I owe him!

Are there any IRS employees on ATOT?
;)

BTW, I was referring to STATE sales tax.

PoloShirt

Banned
Oct 9, 2006
It's moral and just to cheat on your taxes.

The government cheats you everyday, you have every right to cheat back.

SonnyDaze

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2004
I think my state expects 4% tax on internet purchases IF you make any and IF you REMEMBER it at the end of the year. ;)

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
i assume that tax is included within the sales price of my internet purchases. Sometimes its explicit, but when it is not, i figure it is implicitly included. If I am wrong, I claim ignorance.
:)

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
I pay my share as it is. Not paying tax is the only thing that balances out the shipping costs.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: edro
I pay my share as it is. Not paying tax is the only thing that balances out the shipping costs.
But shipping cost compensates the shipper, not the state. . . If I did not misunderstand you.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Originally posted by: Mermaidman
Originally posted by: edro
But shipping cost compensates the shipper, not the state. . . If I did not misunderstand you.
Exactly.

Aug 23, 2000
Just like in the military, don't ask, don't tell.
The only time you can't lie to the gov is on official forms and if you are under oath.

And then, is it worth it to them to hav to subpena your financial records and every internet vendor to check?

beemercer

Feb 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Tiamat
i assume that tax is included within the sales price of my internet purchases. Sometimes its explicit, but when it is not, i figure it is implicitly included. If I am wrong, I claim ignorance.
:)

good plan :thumbsup:.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Many of my Internet purchases include sales tax anyway (i.e. Newegg and just about any online store that is also a B&M store). I don't keep a tally or anything, so last year I just estimated that I owed $30 in use tax.

It is money I owe whether or not I like it or agree with it. My integrity is worth more than $30.

batmang

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2003
The state gets enough out of me already. I'm so sick of dishing out 6-7k each year and getting ZERO back. I will not, and am not, going to pay sales tax for stuff online.

It's my way of being an "E-Thug".

drinkmorejava

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
lol wait, but what if when your ordered it you were out of state. Shipping it to any particular location doesn't matter. Which brings up the idea, do you have to be out of the state, or just the computer; ie proxy?

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs
Many of my Internet purchases include sales tax anyway (i.e. Newegg and just about any online store that is also a B&M store). I don't keep a tally or anything, so last year I just estimated that I owed $30 in use tax.

It is money I owe whether or not I like it or agree with it. My integrity is worth more than $30.

Well isn't that special. For 10 cents I'd fvck the government any way I could. Wheres the governments integity? That's right, there is none, I'm just a product of the government, therefore I'm going to act like them.