Do you own a GBA? How do you like it?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
I have one with the first SMWorld that came out. I haven't bought any other games, but I did finish that one. I haven't gotten around to collecting all the eggs though, about 80% through that. I haven't picked it up in months.

I'd like to get the backlight mod (most likely next purchase), SMWorld2 and an adapter that lets you play on the TV Screen. I'd also like the flash cart too. The screen is bad, but, it is playable with the light mods and some ambient light, just requires uncomfortable holding angle sometimes.

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
Originally posted by: dafatha00
Hmmm, when it first came out, I wanted one but it seems that now a lot of people sell theirs or don't play it.

So what, I know people who are selling their xbox, doens't make it a bad console
rolleye.gif
;)

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Funyuns101
i like my gba, but yeah the lcd screen gets annoying unless you're in direct light. and most lights that you buy don't work all that well unless you can mod your own (afterburner-like). but there lots of cool games, depending what kinda games you like... but i can deal with it. if nintendo does release a new gba w/backlight, that would be fantastic but bad on battery life, either way i wouldn't buy another gba just for that.

i got mario kart, golden sun, and mario world... plus it works with old gameboy games.
currently awaiting for zelda: a link to past's arrival in december
also squaresoft is releasing games for gba in the somewhat near future, hopefully by the end of 2003

as for that deal, the gba is normally $70 and games are $30ish... so you're only saving for that case. check hot deals, someone posted about a $50 gba at some store: link

best of luck and good gaming

I believe that EB is offering you to buy soem crappy ass game like for 10 year olds, and they send you a $20 gift voucher in 4 mon. If you buy a gba and that game. Not the same as having a $50 gba right away. Unelss it's a different deal altogether.

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Gr1mL0cK
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
Originally posted by: ThisIsMatt
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
maybe when it comes with a built in screen light. nintendo is always great at draggint their feet.
Portability + batteries.

afterburner shows feasibility. would someone sacrifice maybe 15% battery life for 100% less eye strain? probably. perhaps pay 20 dollars more.

Possibly. But I wouldn't ever pay ~$90+ for a GBA alone. I got it cause it was cheap... $60 for a portable game system. If I wanted to spend near the $100 mark I would start looking at a home console.

That's stupid. People who want the ultimate portable gaming system won't not get one because it's $~90 over $60. I would buy one if it were $120. If nintendo was selling 2 million GBC's a month, they didn't have to make a GBA, and since they did they are really nice for priceing it like the GBC. Remember they don't have competition. If it were $100 that's clearly worth it, remember the GBA is an expensive peice of tech. because it's so small, and has such an expensive LCD (i'd bet that it costs more to make then the GC?) Switching from portable gaming to console only because the price are the same is lame. It's not about the price it's about the gamers, even if they were the same price, GBA and GC (suppose $120), certain people don't like playing at home, because they rarely have time and play during their lunch breaks at work or whatever. Other's like the nostalgic feeling of playing an old skool 2d side Scroller remade 10 years later better looking and playing and it's just more practical to play games on the go. I'd bet that 50% would have both, 25% would have only one and the other 25% would have the other. You would clearly sacrafice the portabiility just to get better graphics. Suppose you could only chose between only one of the game systems for free. I would chose GBA, it's a different type of attitude you need to have to be a portable gamer. To have a sleek GBA in your pocket.... so pimp! I took my SNES for Granted when I bought my DC I through out my SNE S into my closet because I was so amazed at 3d, but the games on DC and PS2 (for the most part) are 1 mile wide, but only an inch deep. SNES games didn't have the great looks, but the game plya is emersive. Just take street fighter series, cheap graphics, but deadly game play. And of course, the worlds greatest gameplay game Final Fight.

Phewwwwwwww........ Had to get that off my chest.