Do you need REM sleep to build muscle?

soltrain

Mar 25, 2001
For those days when you lift, but then only get 5hr of sleep, so you decide to take a nap or two the next day.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
I don't know about REM sleep but YES you need sleep. That is when the body does a majority of the repairs. If you don't sleep you will never get Arnold muscles :p

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Originally posted by: Codewiz
I don't know about REM sleep but YES you need sleep. That is when the body does a majority of the repairs. If you don't sleep you will never get Arnold muscles :p

great,I sleep so poorly,another road block in my way.

ThaPerculator

Golden Member
May 11, 2001
Well, more R.E.M.'s definately can't hurt...

Can't you just hook up one of those electronic ab thingy's to your eyelids and set it to move really really fast??? :D

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Geekbabe

I honestly don't believe there are studies that prove that. There are sleep studies that prove REM deprevation eventually leads to hallucinations and other mental issues on the other hand.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: rahvin

I honestly don't believe there are studies that prove that. There are sleep studies that prove REM deprevation eventually leads to hallucinations and other mental issues on the other hand.

Studies to prove what?

http://ipfox.com/humanbrain/sleep.htm

I have found multiple sites that say REM sleep is required to repair muscles. I have just heard sleep personally. I wasn't sure if REM was required or not for muscle repair.

EDIT: I am still trying to find the actual studies and their results

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: rahvin

Studies to prove what?

http://ipfox.com/humanbrain/sleep.htm

I have found multiple sites that say REM sleep is required to repair muscles. I have just heard sleep personally. I wasn't sure if REM was required or not for muscle repair.

EDIT: I am still trying to find the actual studies and their results

Studies to prove what? Medical and scientific studies that prove that Sleep is required to repair muscles. This is a commonly related item with little to no scientific evidence to back it up. It appears to be one of the many common assumptions. Real scientific studies and analysis of other species has proven one thing, that we don't know why humans sleep or need to sleep. There is continuing and extensive studies still ongoing (and have been for decades) to try to understand the need and benefit of sleep. There are in fact species that don't sleep at all. When people tell you why we need to sleep they are making assumptions because the real answer is we have no idea why we sleep or need to sleep as the evidence has provided no concrete evidence.

I am not saying we don't need to sleep, all the evidence we have indicates a need with no explanation for why (other than assumptions and hypothesises with no solid and verifiable evidence).

This discussion brings up an interesting article I read the other day. Most americans are unwilling to hear the real scientific response of we don't know in response to questions like this. They like nice pat explanations that are not detailed. There are many areas of science that actual confirmed scientific findings are slim and we know very little about the real reasons or relationships but these same areas will have "commonly known facts" that are nothing more than rumors and speculation related as fact.