Do You Need an HDMI Cable to Watch Cable Shows in HD?

TheDev

Jun 1, 2012
Do you? Or can I just plug in the cable cord in my HDTV like I would with an SDTV? I hope not, because the TV I'm planning on getting only has 2 HDMI outputs, so between my PS3 and cable, that would use them all up :( I am thinking of getting a Wii U or Microsoft's next console, so I need enough HDMI outputs to be able to do that.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
HDMI is highly preferable. If you run short of ports you can buy HDMI switch boxes if you need it, or buy a surround reviever with built-in HDMI switching. Another option is to just swap out the lesser used devices as needed.

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com
monoprice is a good place to buy hdmi cables also (best to buy more than 1 item to save on shipping)

a lot of retail/brick and mortar stores charge too much for them

TheDev

Jun 1, 2012
I don't understand. So my cable cord is a coaxial cable like this:
coaxial-cable-connectors.jpg

So how would I be using an HDMI cord like this to get cable?:
225166122.jpg

So I wouldn't still just be using the coaxial cable? Would the coaxial cable not be able to give me cable channels in HD?

iahk

Jan 19, 2002
I think the part you left out that is confusing people is whether or not you're using a cable box to get cable to your tv or whether your coax cable is running directly from tv to wall jack.

TheDev

Jun 1, 2012
I think the part you left out that is confusing people is whether or not you're using a cable box to get cable to your tv or whether your coax cable is running directly from tv to wall jack.

I don't have a cable box.

Sep 12, 2004
if the coax cable is running directly into the tv you wan't get HD ?
There are a couple of situations in which you can get HD over the coax:

1) Your cableco carries unencrypted HD channels and your TV has a digital tuner that can do QAM (which just about any newer TV can do). Usually that means you might get the local channels in HD but you won't be able to tune any encrypted channels, HD or otherwise.

2) Your TV has a cablecard slot (rare these days).

Other than that, no, you won't get HD running the coax directly into the TV.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Crap. So I just call up my cable company and buy one then? Is it the same thing as a DVR?

Yes and No. Your cable box can have DVR and I recommend it anyways. I got the DVR on promotional free trial and was going to cancel it when the promotion was over but I don't see how I lived my life without it.

I use component on mine vs HDMI because Time Warner locks the audio level on their HDMI output. Component is capable of 1080i which is the max you will get from cable anyways.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
If your TV has a QAM tuner and your cable provider does not encrypt all of their HD channels, then you will receive some HD programming (anything not encrypted)...

Some TV's now have a DIGITAL CABLE setting when scanning for TV channels. These channels would listed under there.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
This was one of the reasons I miss Time Warner. I didn't have to 'rent' a SET TOP BOX for all my TV's. I just got one for the master bedroom and one for the living room. For my 2 other HDTV's, I just plugged the coax into the TV and at least got my locals in HD on those TV's...