Do you, my fellow twentysomethings, start to laugh when someone from an older generation rags on us for being idiots?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: kevinthenerd
Originally posted by: yllus
4. The looming energy crisis and the overreliance on oil = Your fault, not ours. (How long have we been driving/working for, a decade max?)

My thoughts exactly.... There are hudreds of patents in the US Patent office, most of which are now expired and public domain, that can provide 100+ mpg. I found patents myself dated in the 1920s that were able to make use of atmospheric static electricity for home use.

http://fuelvapors.com/

Americans specifically have relied on big, inefficient motors.

will my tinfoil hat interfere with my 100+ mpg car?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
To all of you 20 somethings,

If you really want to do something to make a positive influence on the future of our planet, you should join the Anti-SUV brigade. If you don't, you're all nothing but a bunch of hypocrites. :p

jlbenedict

Banned
Jul 10, 2005
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
To all of you 20 somethings,

If you really want to do something to make a positive influence on the future of our planet, you should join the Anti-SUV brigade. If you don't, you're all nothing but a bunch of hypocrites. :p

They're not hypocrites unless they roll on twenty-fo's biatch! :p

CKDragon

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2001
I'm not going to make extreme comments either way.

I will add one personal tidbit, the first thing that popped up in my mind upon seeing the topic is how crazy it drives me when people (usually older) from the far left or far right try to tell me that I'm brainwashed.

For reference, I'm 24 and generally moderate, and here you have these people that do nothing but recite their party's company line telling me that I'm brainwashed to believe the other way. And I get it FROM BOTH SIDES! That they will never see the irony in their comments turns my face red in frustration.

At first look, I know this seems like more of a political rant than an age rant, but I seem to hear it from the over 50 crowd the most.

CK

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Let's go with an easy five:

1. Aftereffects of the Cold War, terrorism, etc. = Your fault, not ours. (The Iranian shah wha? I wasn't even born yet!)

2. The current state of the national debt = Your fault, not ours.

3. Perpetuation of racist beliefs = Your fault, not ours.

4. The looming energy crisis and the overreliance on oil = Your fault, not ours. (How long have we been driving/working for, a decade max?)

5. The insanity of political correctness where everyone's a winner and tag is banned from recess = Your fault, not ours. (We're not the ones with kids in grade school that you seem to feel need to be placed in a superstrong bubble.)

Older generations - specifically, you baby boomers - STFU. Really, just STFU. :p

Considering the utter and complete spectacle you've made of the world, you have absolutely no room to rag on us twentysomethings. It'll be a miracle if we can keep the world from being blown to pieces with the thousands of pieces of weaponry you so graciously decided to scatter around the place. :p

don't forget 50% divorce rate leading to lots of broken familes and then crying about moral degeneration when they have no one to blame but themselves.

MasonLuke

Aug 14, 2006
Originally posted by: jemcam
Yet another one who thinks he's owed something. Suck it up and work for what you want. No generation has been born into a perfect world.

How do you think my parents, Uncles, and Grandparents felt about having WWII handed to them? Was it their fault they had to fight and die in Europe and the Pacific? No, but they did what needed to be done.

Cry baby.

:thumbsup:

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Who cares whose fault it is? If anything is wrong with our generation it is the fact that we like to blame people instead of taking action.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
Who cares whose fault it is? If anything is wrong with our generation it is the fact that we like to blame people instead of taking action.

he's just saying if someone is gonna point fingers, they should look in the mirror also.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

1. Aftereffects of the Cold War, terrorism, etc. = Your fault, not ours. (The Iranian shah wha? I wasn't even born yet!)

5. The insanity of political correctness where everyone's a winner and tag is banned from recess = Your fault, not ours. (We're not the ones with kids in grade school that you seem to feel need to be placed in a superstrong bubble.)

Older generations - specifically, you baby boomers - STFU. Really, just STFU. :p

Considering the utter and complete spectacle you've made of the world, you have absolutely no room to rag on us twentysomethings. It'll be a miracle if we can keep the world from being blown to pieces with the thousands of pieces of weaponry you so graciously decided to scatter around the place. :p
You missed our #1 fault, being sh!tty parents, after all we raised you worthless fscks.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

You missed our #1 fault, being sh!tty parents, after all we raised you worthless fscks.

/thread

(And I'm one of the young ones. :p)

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004
Originally posted by: jemcam
Yet another one who thinks he's owed something. Suck it up and work for what you want. No generation has been born into a perfect world.

How do you think my parents, Uncles, and Grandparents felt about having WWII handed to them? Was it their fault they had to fight and die in Europe and the Pacific? No, but they did what needed to be done.

Cry baby.

I think you misread his post. He's criticizing old people for blaming us.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
There'd be a lot of quiet passing-ons in their sleep. :p

Nah, I don't take anything like this seriously - it's pretty funny. It's just such a strange illogical statement to make. How can the people who've fscked up the world beyond all compare rag on us for anything? We don't even have a track record to rag on yet!

We are making a very nice track record now, by having so many kids not working any professional jobs (tweeners and twixters) and mooching off their folks.

I am living with my folks right now too, but I am also in an incredible amount of school debt which hopefully if everything works out, I will have paid for more than half by the end of next year. Then I could move out.

kevinthenerd

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2002
Originally posted by: FoBoT

My thoughts exactly.... There are hudreds of patents in the US Patent office, most of which are now expired and public domain, that can provide 100+ mpg. I found patents myself dated in the 1920s that were able to make use of atmospheric static electricity for home use.

Eat siht.

EGGO

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
I agree with your points, but we also have screwed up things.

Myspace and Britney Spears are good examples.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Armitage
The fact that the society you are living in is among the wealthiest, healthiest, safest, and free in history - their fault, not yours.

Its hard to call the US wealthy when we are the #1 debtor nation, and that debt will keep growing.

Everyone says our generation wont do anything to fix the mess. Got news for you if our generation does, the house of cards created by you will fall.

Seriously in 40-50 years if nothing is done, the US will be worth sh!t.

ITJunkie

Platinum Member
Apr 17, 2003
www.techange.com
Originally posted by: Amused
The truly laughable thing about your post is you think your generation will be any better and "clean up" the "mess" that is, in reality, the human condition.

All your generation will do is contribute to the "mess."

Hint: Utopia is the dream of the naive. The world always has been, and always will be fscked up.

Every elder generation thinks the younger generation is going to hell in a hand basket. Every younger generation thinks they have all the answers.

It's been that way since man could write.

Welcome to life.

Well said! I would only add that, so far, each generation has managed to stop just before we are all totally screwed beyond repair. So far....

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Originally posted by: FoBoT

Eat siht.

Ooooo....
Nice comeback. I'm convinced.

kindest

Platinum Member
Dec 15, 2001
as a twenty something year older i get very upset that the people running the show are imo senile old men. Age = widsom .. so they say. I don't call myself wise nor do i think I know everything but theres one thing I know..

we are f_cked no matter how old you are.

Cutterhead

Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Kwaipie
This new generation is full of pu$$ie$.
No tag at school, no dodge ball, no hazing. If we got into a fight at school, we either fought or STFU. You go to daddy's gun cabinet and shoot the place up.
You get drunk on red bull and vodka, we get drunk on Johnnie Walker or Jack.
You go to parties with a friggin pacifier in your mouth, we shot heroin and snorted coke.
You call Iraq a war? on D-Day, there were 2500 dead Americans. One day. You've had 3 years in Iraq. Get with the show. We have movies to make.

Pu$$ie$.

Awesome.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com

I don't think young people suck,nor do I think as a group that they're stupid.I feel for young people now, kids can;t play outside, sex with the wrong person might kill you, forget being a boy scout and going to church is liking asking for sexual abuse. College expenses will bury many of you in debt, gone are company pensions and job security.

You need to keep in mind that the world wasn't hunky dory when the reigns were handed over to us either. There was a huge revolution on several fronts that changed forever the traditional roles most of us were raised to believe we'd live out. I became an adult in a time of great social discontent and unrest.. we were like strangers in a strange land,trying to chart a new course with tools that just didn't work anymore.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Geekbabe
I don't think young people suck,nor do I think as a group that they're stupid.

You need to keep in mind that the world wasn't hunky dory when the reigns were handed over to us either. There was a huge revolution on several fronts that changed forever the traditional roles most of us were raised to believe we'd live out. I became an adult in a time of great social discontent and unrest.. we were like strangers in a strange land,trying to chart a new course with tools that just didn't work anymore.
I was directing this message to the older generation, Jean. What's a sexy young thing like you doing responding? ;) :heart:

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
Pull up your pants and a baseball hat is supposed to point forward ya stupid kid! :laugh: