Do you, my fellow twentysomethings, start to laugh when someone from an older generation rags on us for being idiots?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
The fact that the society you are living in is among the wealthiest, healthiest, safest, and free in history - their fault, not yours.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Amused
Originally posted by: yllus
The truly laughable thing about your post is you think your generation will be any better and "clean up" the "mess" that is, in reality, the human condition.

All your generation will do is contribute to the "mess."

Hint: Utopia is the dream of the naive. The world always has been, and always will be fscked up.
Nah. You're going to have to show me where I said we're going to accomplish anything of that sort. Besides, the entire post is made in a inflammatory jest.

However, there is one serious part to be taken into consideration: Those who throw rocks should avoid residing in glass houses.
So stop throwing rocks from your glass house.
What house do we own that we're lobbing these rocks from? Sort of early to do a comparison, isn't it? Being presumed guilty at the outset isn't really my thing.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Let's go with an easy five:

1. Aftereffects of the Cold War, terrorism, etc. = Your fault, not ours. (The Iranian shah wha? I wasn't even born yet!)

2. The current state of the national debt = Your fault, not ours.

3. Perpetuation of racist beliefs = Your fault, not ours.

4. The looming energy crisis and the overreliance on oil = Your fault, not ours. (How long have we been driving/working for, a decade max?)

5. The insanity of political correctness where everyone's a winner and tag is banned from recess = Your fault, not ours. (We're not the ones with kids in grade school that you seem to feel need to be placed in a superstrong bubble.)

Older generations - specifically, you baby boomers - STFU. Really, just STFU. :p

Considering the utter and complete spectacle you've made of the world, you have absolutely no room to rag on us twentysomethings. It'll be a miracle if we can keep the world from being blown to pieces with the thousands of pieces of weaponry you so graciously decided to scatter around the place. :p
hmmmm... every generation wants to place blame on the prior. your kids and grandkids will also.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Hint: Utopia is the dream of the naive. The world always has been, and always will be fscked up.

You should read the commencement speech by John F Kennedy at the graduation of the American University in 1963. I don't think you can call him naieve. Krushchev praised it as the best speech made by a US President ever.

In a nutshell, he says world peace doesn't exist because the majority of people simply do not believe that it can exist and therefore do not strive to achieve it.

jemcam

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: jemcam
Originally posted by: MrChad
And the generation prior to that had two world wars, prohibition and the Great Depression, so what's your point?
Exactly my point, thank you!!!!!!
Because the mistakes of your predecessors excuse your own. Brilliant. :thumbsup:
Originally posted by: DougK62
And your children will say the same thing about your generation...
I'm sure, because I'll be telling them how much they suck. :p

WTF? We agree now?

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
And the generation prior to that had two world wars, prohibition and the Great Depression, so what's your point?
Because the mistakes of your predecessors excuse your own. Brilliant. :thumbsup:
WTF? We agree now?
I never post on AT seriously. That'd be weird.

I'm just pointing out the current hypocrises, and freely admitting that I will likely utter the same hypocrisy 40 years from now. Well, unless I'm dead.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
This usually shuts them up real fast.

When they were 20 somethings, it was the 1970s, and the 1970s were the worst time except for the great depression for our economy. What did they learn from it? Nothing, they increased our reliance on foreign oil and didnt develope more fuel efficient cars and grew our federal deficit big time.

jemcam

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
WTF? We agree now?
I never post on AT seriously. That'd be weird.

I'm just pointing out the current hypocrises, and freely admitting that I will likely utter the same hypocrisy 40 years from now. Well, unless I'm dead.

Damn, that was too easy. I thought you were serious and I was gearing up for quite a flame war.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: crownjules

You should read the commencement speech by John F Kennedy at the graduation of the American University in 1963. I don't think you can call him naieve. Krushchev praised it as the best speech made by a US President ever.

In a nutshell, he says world peace doesn't exist because the majority of people simply do not believe that it can exist and therefore do not strive to achieve it.

He was wrong. Sorry, but Kennedy was not some superior intellect nor was he somehow wiser than us all. He was an idealist. That quote is so far from reality it's laughable.

World peace does not exist because man by his very nature is violent.

kevinthenerd

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2002
4. The looming energy crisis and the overreliance on oil = Your fault, not ours. (How long have we been driving/working for, a decade max?)

My thoughts exactly.... There are hudreds of patents in the US Patent office, most of which are now expired and public domain, that can provide 100+ mpg. I found patents myself dated in the 1920s that were able to make use of atmospheric static electricity for home use.

http://fuelvapors.com/

Americans specifically have relied on big, inefficient motors.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Genx87
This usually shuts them up real fast.

When they were 20 somethings, it was the 1970s, and the 1970s were the worst time except for the great depression for our economy. What did they learn from it? Nothing, they increased our reliance on foreign oil and didnt develope more fuel efficient cars and grew our federal deficit big time.
:D :thumbsup:

I recommend all twentysomethings remember exactly what you just wrote, in order to spring it on any old geezer that dares offend us in this way. Then steal their cane and make fun of how high they wear their pants. :p
Damn, that was too easy. I thought you were serious and I was gearing up for quite a flame war.
*shrugs* I wanted to get a bunch of replies off the bat. Can't write something evenhanded or nobody even bothers reading it.

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Originally posted by: kevinthenerd

My thoughts exactly.... There are hudreds of patents in the US Patent office, most of which are now expired and public domain, that can provide 100+ mpg. I found patents myself dated in the 1920s that were able to make use of atmospheric static electricity for home use.

So are you still buying your power from The Man? What stops you (or anyone) from using these expired "100+ mpg" patents to change the world? :roll:

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: crownjules

Camelot sackrider :laugh:

Kwaipie

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2005
This new generation is full of pu$$ie$.
No tag at school, no dodge ball, no hazing. If we got into a fight at school, we either fought or STFU. You go to daddy's gun cabinet and shoot the place up.
You get drunk on red bull and vodka, we get drunk on Johnnie Walker or Jack.
You go to parties with a friggin pacifier in your mouth, we shot heroin and snorted coke.
You call Iraq a war? on D-Day, there were 2500 dead Americans. One day. You've had 3 years in Iraq. Get with the show. We have movies to make.

Pu$$ie$.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
hah just wail til they try to steal our money when they retire by making congress true up on social security

cyclistca

Platinum Member
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Armitage
The fact that the society you are living in is among the wealthiest, healthiest, safest, and free in history - their fault, not yours.

ha ha ha ha ha ha

Wealth?

The gap between the rich and the poor is growing at an alarming rate and the middle class is close to disappearing. And what is wealth a measure of anyway?

Healthiest?

Most of the population in NA is overweigh and more people are getting type 2 diabetes.

Ultralight

Jul 11, 2004
Yet another one who thinks he's owed something. Suck it up and work for what you want. No generation has been born into a perfect world.
Oh, not at all. I'll take what I can get and be quite happy with it.

But what a piss-poor excuse for fscking up just about everything. "No generation has been born into a perfect world." I guess we should all just not bother trying!

You sound exactly like what the Boomers were saying in the 60s when they were protesting this and that about the generation before them and the state of the world, and how everything is so fvc*ed up, bla, bla, bla. What goees around, comes around. You are repeating history.

And one more thing, when your generation gets to be the Boomers generation you'll get the same thing from the younger generation gauranteed.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
OH HERE WE GO!!!11
Originally posted by: Kwaipie
This new generation is full of pu$$ie$.
The new generation wasn't raised by wolves, was it? So who failed to parent worth a damn?
No tag at school, no dodge ball, no hazing. If we got into a fight at school, we either fought or STFU. You go to daddy's gun cabinet and shoot the place up.
We're just more efficient. :p
I guess you can call that a win... :confused:
You go to parties with a friggin pacifier in your mouth, we shot heroin and snorted coke.
I guess you can call that a win... :confused:
You call Iraq a war? on D-Day, there were 2500 dead Americans. One day. You've had 3 years in Iraq. Get with the show. We have movies to make.
Can't argue with that. Our generation's war movies are going to suck. :(

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Originally posted by: cyclistca

ha ha ha ha ha ha

Wealth?

The gap between the rich and the poor is growing at an alarming rate and the middle class is close to disappearing. And what is wealth a measure of anyway?

Compare the poorest people in the US and Canada to the average person in the 3rd world. You don't know what poor is. At least here there is opportunity - that's largely what wealth is a measure of.

Healthiest?

Most of the population in NA is overweigh and more people are getting type 2 diabetes.

Largely a consequence of wealth, and an individual choice.

kevinthenerd

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2002

So are you still buying your power from The Man? What stops you (or anyone) from using these expired "100+ mpg" patents to change the world? :roll:

I'm working on it now. I just need some more free time in my garage. That'll mostly likely come after I finish school.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Let's go with an easy five:

1. Aftereffects of the Cold War, terrorism, etc. = Your fault, not ours. (The Iranian shah wha? I wasn't even born yet!)

2. The current state of the national debt = Your fault, not ours.

3. Perpetuation of racist beliefs = Your fault, not ours.

5. The insanity of political correctness where everyone's a winner and tag is banned from recess = Your fault, not ours. (We're not the ones with kids in grade school that you seem to feel need to be placed in a superstrong bubble.)

Older generations - specifically, you baby boomers - STFU. Really, just STFU. :p

Considering the utter and complete spectacle you've made of the world, you have absolutely no room to rag on us twentysomethings. It'll be a miracle if we can keep the world from being blown to pieces with the thousands of pieces of weaponry you so graciously decided to scatter around the place. :p

WTF are you babbling about? :confused:

kevinthenerd

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2002

I'm working on it now. I just need some more free time in my garage. That'll mostly likely come after I finish school.

Edit:

The trouble is, though, that if everyone's car suddenly got twice the gas milage, the price of gas would double, and nothing would be changed.

engineereeyore

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2005
Actually, I think we stand to learn quite a bit from those older than we are. But then, I've never been called an idiot by someone older, except for my Father-in-law who thinks every male under the age of 25 is an idiot (himself included when he was that age). With the amount of experience and wisdom those people have, I think you'd be an idiot not to listen to them.

kevinthenerd

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2002
I fought when necessary, which was a very rare occasion. Shooting is cowardly. What ever happened to a good old fashioned set of brass knuckles anyway?
I like Vodka and Frangelico.
I don't go to parties. I'm too busy at night studying random siht so I can turn around and fix the mess you all made.
A lower death toll is a victory for the young, but the problem with modern wars is that they're fought for shallow reasons by poor people with no other means to pay for an education. Watch Fahrenheit 911.