Do you mind critiquing this snow landscape for me?

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Good picture, but the sky is way too yellowish (same problem I have with snow).

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I'm not too excited about the trees. Brown and dead looking and adds complexity to the photo. Other brown trees littered around the picture just doesn't give the picture that clean feeling.

When you're shooting a scene with a lot of snow you need to consistently OVERexpose what your camera's metering wants to shoot at. This is because the snow's reflectivity fools your camera into thinking that the scene is brighter than it actually is, so your camera underexposes. You need to manually overexpose by one half to a full EV to compensate for this and to get the snow looking really white.

Alyx

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2007
Your picture really lacks any sort of item that draws my attention. I understand you were probably shooting to capture the view but without some sort of subject my eye really doesn't know where to go in the photo. It is tough with locations like the one in the shot, its beautiful in person but the great expanse of space is hard to effectively get across in film. A few pointers: Try to keep some sort of a defined point of interest to shots, at least something to draw the eye. Try to keep a slightly defined foreground, middle and background (this will help in visualizing distance and scale). And also try to put important points along the lines of 1/3. Cut the image into mental chunks with lines 1/3 across the picture and try to put important points on those lines/intersections.

In the case of this picture, putting the horizon at the upper 1/3rd line would have been nice. Also maybe rotating the camera to a portrait style and having some rock/tree at the lower 1/3rd line as a subject. Good luck!

montanafan

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
The exposure, colors, etc. all look fine on my monitor. It took me a little while to spot the skier. I think the only thing it lacks would be some fat, fluffy clouds. Big fat fluffy clouds make everything look better.:)

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Cheers folks :)

I didn't like it, for reasons i couldn't quite put my finger in, perhaps for the very reasons you've all mentioned ;) Just seemed rather flat and uninspiring...

Fuzzy, I'm afraid I'm rather a fan of snow gums, and they're a prominent feature of the Snowies, so i don't think they're such a disaster. If i'd been going for the antiseptic snow look i couldn't agree more.

Thankyou all for the landscape advice, it's something i'd love to master, and something i somewhat royally suck at right now :D

Here are some snow gums for you :D Not a great shot, but they're beautiful trees.

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/dug777/SnowGums.JPG

And a totally random black and white one that didn't quite work:

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/dug777/StablesTires.JPG