Do you like the show on the History Channel called The Universe?

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
To an extent. Some of the topics they cover are interesting for the first 20 minutes, then I usually I doze off.

Season 1 was MUCH better I think

Rock Hydra

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
I liked it. But I like Ice Road Truckers and Dogfights the best, although I haven't watched the history channel in like 3 months.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Was it on last night talking about massive collisions? They showed 5 galaxies that are right now crashing into each other, and when it's done, they'll combine to make the largest galaxy in the universe. Awesome! :)

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
BTW- that girl explaining the asteriod impacts was HAWT! A PhD and a babe...my dream girl! She kind of had bug eyes but it was goin' on everywhere else :)

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I think I liked the show about dark matter and dark energy the most.
Overall its very well done.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I watched season 1 because I thought astronomy was very intruiging. I soon discovered there's way too much I didn't care to know so I kinda lost interest and haven't watched season 2. I'll take a look though too see what topics they discuss now. I thought they were reaching in some episodes as it was winding down.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I think the one thing that annoys me about the show and astronomers in general is their perception of time.

I'm listening to them talk about something like a supernova in a nearby galaxy and how great this will be to watch and the all things we can learn, and then they say, its going to happen really soon, probably in the next 50 million years or so.

WTF ? Someone needs to teach these people what soon is.
Don't get my hopes up by saying 'really soon' and then say its over a million years :)

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Modelworks
I think the one thing that annoys me about the show and astronomers in general is their perception of time.

I'm listening to them talk about something like a supernova in a nearby galaxy and how great this will be to watch and the all things we can learn, and then they say, its going to happen really soon, probably in the next 50 million years or so.

Don't get my hopes up by saying 'really soon' and then say its over a million years :)

50 million years is really soon when you consider the universe is 14 Billion years old

paulxcook

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
I think it's great. I am interested in the subject but have no education in it, so this show is nice in that it explains concepts in a way I can understand without getting too pedantic.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Damn, you all are making me wish I got History Channel. :( This sounds much better than most of what is now mindless drivel on Discovery Channel.

Originally posted by: Modelworks

To the rest of the Universe, our lives are like what you'd get from burning a speck of magnesium in pure oxygen - a tiny, violent pffffft! and then nothing.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Damn, you all are making me wish I got History Channel. :( This sounds much better than most of what is now mindless drivel on Discovery Channel.

I thought that new show on the human body was decent.

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
I wanted to watch that human body show...probably only because the commercial uses songs that sound like the ones in God of War 1 and 2 lol.

Fritzo, yeah late at night i watched the one about the four galaxies merging. That chick WAS hot...i was thinking the same thing too lol, cept for the eyes.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
not sure i have seen it yet, HC has been running some 'off-topic' programming, like ghost hunters or whatever that crap is
i don't seem to find as much programming on HC that i like compared to a few years ago