Do you like Jeremy Soule's soundtracks?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Perhaps my favorite computer game soundtrack was Total Annihilation. Beautiful and haunting.

It was made by Jeremy Soule. So I was happy to see him become the leading game soundtrack person.

Thing is, I pretty much haven't liked any of his soundtracks I can think of after TA.

They all seem indescript sweeping mushy orchestra for the sake of orchestra. I couldn't hum a tune from one after TA. But he will wins awards for best soundtracks.

Is it just me? What do others think of his soundtracks?

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
jeremy soule is awesome. i have the soundtracks to oblivion and skyrim - i definitely prefer skyrim. I also have some guild wars tracks, and i purchased the Play: A Video Game Symphony recordings (which includes Oblivion and Guild Wars tracks).

Marty O'Donnell did a hell of a job with the Halo series. Inon Zur (Crysis 1) and Boris Slavov (Crysis 3) also have some great works.

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
The main theme songs of the TES series is beautiful to listen to. The Skyrim version (Dragonborn) is simply dramatic.

The rest, I have little impression of though.

Aug 11, 2008
My favorite is the soundtrack for KOTOR. The opening sequence even though basically an interactive cutscene is nearly perfect in the way the dramatic music meshes with the urgency of trying to escape the ship. Definitely my favority opening of any video game.

All 3 of the Elder Scrolls soundtracks are great as well, but I think I like Oblivion better than Skyrim. The opening theme for Oblivion is especially dramatic.

SharpHawk

Jan 6, 2012
Loved the Total Annihilation OST when I was a kid. When I found out that Oblivion was composed by Soule it blew my mind.

March Unto Death hell yeah!

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006
Morrowind was my favorite. Oblivion and Skyrim are just re-workings of that. Soule did a ton of work for earlier games (NWN, Icewind Dale, etc), which I enjoyed. He definitely appears to be from the John Williams camp, and has a lot of technical expertise and occasional compositional brilliance.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
I can't say I like his soundtracks in general.

Typically he's got one, maybe two catchy and memorable songs, and a sea of completely forgettable tunes that are just kind of ...there. Even as far back as Secret of Evermore you find that pattern - one or two good songs, and the rest of the soundtrack you'd be hard pressed to hum because it's so nondescript.

His good songs are really quite catchy, but they're the exception.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Absolutely love his soundtracks. His compositions for Knights of the Old Republic and the Elder Scrolls series, particularly, are amazing.