Do you like Filet Mignon?

DigitalCancer

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2004
I want o cook a nice dinner in the next week or so and decided that Filet Mignon would be a perfect dish. I've never cooked it, but I know its really really good.

So..what I need to know is a good way to cook it (sauces/smothering?) and some side-dishes that would go good w/ it. I've always had just the steak so...i'm not sure what goes good with it really. I was thinking mashed tatos but...kinda seems informal for some reason, such a fancy little steak. I dunno...give me your ideas!

Lamont Burns

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2002
tar tar

Just slather it in A-1!

tbh I like it with pretty much nothing on it(a pinch of salt and pepper maybe), just seared like a mofo and rare... /slobber

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
It's very difficult to match a high quality filet at a top steakhouse at home because you don't have an 1800 degree oven.
Don't you dare put anything but salt and pepper on that filet and don't you dare cook it higher than medium rare.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
S&P all over, then seared to rare and finish with a little red wine reduction. Perfection!

KT

JRich

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: JS80
It's very difficult to match a high quality filet at a top steakhouse at home because you don't have an 1800 degree oven.
Don't you dare put anything but salt and pepper on that filet and don't you dare cook it higher than medium rare.

QFT

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
A good filet doesn't need anything more than a little salt and pepper. Use the heaviest pan you have, get it as hot as you can. Sear side one. Flip, sear side two.

Done.

I've always liked asparagus with filet - you could also new garlic roasted potatoes if you wanted taters, a little dressier.

dpert1

Apr 26, 2007
purchase beef
insert charcole brickettes into webber grill
ignight brickettes
wait until massive fireball dies down to a glow
warm beef on grill via searing the outside
enjoy the finest rare beef.

Lamont Burns

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2002
Originally posted by: rivan

I've always liked asparagus with filet - you could also new garlic roasted potatoes if you wanted taters, a little dressier.

This is pretty often what I end up with as well when the mood and wallet strikes me. them skin on red looking taters is gud.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
You gonna grill the steak?
i crank the gas all the way up on my grill then sear both sides of the steak. then turn down to low and let them slow cook for bout 45 mins. tender thru and thru. yumm!
nice add on for spice is penzeys northwoods spice.

sides... garlic mashed potaotes. Steam the garlic at the same time as the tatos and add 1 stick butter a little milk and mash away. top with chives
saute mushrooms- little olive oil in pan. dice 1 onion and some garlic- slice mushrooms and cook till shrooms are browned.

Lamont Burns

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2002
Originally posted by: waffleironhead
i crank the gas all the way up on my grill then sear both sides of the steak. then turn down to low and let them slow cook for bout 45 mins.

:shocked:

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

what if i wrap it in Bacon?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Asparagus and potatoes.

To prepare it use your broiler and a broiling pan or a cast iron skillet. Good amount of salt/pepper before you cook it. Take meat out of fridge for about 1 hour before cooking so it isn't cold.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
QFT

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
You gonna grill the steak?
i crank the gas all the way up on my grill then sear both sides of the steak. then turn down to low and let them slow cook for bout 45 mins..
45 minutes?? hockey puck meat ftl.

newb111

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Lamont Burns
i crank the gas all the way up on my grill then sear both sides of the steak. then turn down to low and let them slow cook for bout 45 mins.

:shocked:

Hockey puck?

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
Baby Jesus cries if you eat a filet cooked more than med-rare.

Baby Jesus smiles if you eat it "smacked with a hot pan on each side, and served on a 1,800 degree Farenheit plate."

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: rivan
A good filet doesn't need anything more than a little salt and pepper. Use the heaviest pan you have, get it as hot as you can. Sear side one. Flip, sear side two.

Done.

Seared =/ done

Seared is raw in the middle to the point where its still dripping blood

It needs to cook for at least 2-5 minutes in a 500 degree oven still.

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
Preheat cast iron skillet on stove for 10 minutes till blistering hot, also preheat oven at 500 degrees.
While preheating smother the filet in salt and pepper (I enjoy ALOT of pepper, my entire house reakes of it when I cook, but most of it cooks away).
Cook filets for 1.5 minutes per side in cast iron skillet on stove.
Cook filets 2 minutes per side in oven.
Remove from oven, wait 5 minutes before serving.