Do you learn new programming languages / theory online, in books, or both?

Learning new languages or programming theory:

• Mostly books

• Mostly online sources

• Books and online sources evenly

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Arcadio

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2007
I wonder if books are widely used to learn new programming languages or theory, or if online documentation is enough for most programmers. What do you use?

nickbits

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2008
Books when I was first learning everything. Now I only read reference material online.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Books in college for theory, and later as references for languages and APIs.

I haven't bought any new language books in the last 3-5 years though, now I just use the internet.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
I use online sources more, but will read a good book if I really need to have a wide variety of coverage on knowledge for a language.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Books were nice when I was learning to program for the first time. It was nice to be able to sit down and work through complete examples. Once I started knowing stuff, I found books to be slow and tedious. I find it more useful to Google for what I need to know.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
used books back then, but that's just cause the web wasnt where the web is today.
If i'd had the online resources back then ... damn.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
I still read books, although having read several hundred technical books I find that I get less and less out of them. I find these days some of my quickest learning is from videos actually, rather than blogs or other sources.

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
Best way to learn a new language is by doing.

I like to start with sample projects, and either modify them, or use them as reference while build my own.

A tutorial can come in handy for certain steps, like setting up an all new IDE environment on a particlar platform you are not comfortable with.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
I pick a small project, then look up some example code/code reference to get the general idea of how the language is structured.

I know I need a loop, class, conditional, etc. I just need to see an example of how it's done in X language.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Learned all languages I currently know via college courses, least that's how I started.

Books/Classes for instruction/learning a new language, internet for technical reference/obscure problems.

Last edited:

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
No college courses for me, but I had to pick up programming in grad school on the side for course work and thesis. Books are by far the best way to start off due to them having a natural flow and structure that online sources lack. However, once you wrap your head around a language it is just about looking up syntax/documentation and going through packages to not reinvent the wheel.

Best way, IMO, is to dive right in.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
When taking a class - books - there is usually no deviation from the material which makes it a lot easier for the instructor.

When learning on my own - everything is online. However, I've found that "programming styles" tend to differ slightly depending upon where you look.

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
Free internet content was always good for quick reference. Now with genuinely high quality blogs, articles, video lectures and free e-books popping up, it's starting to replace books.

I'm still likely to grab a book when I want to systematically learn about a subject and gain insight into it. Already maybe 50% of the time that book will be an e-book.

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
Started on the book, and it's sometimes still used as a reference. Since getting dual monitors, I'd been using the web almost exclusively.

The way I learned how headers (and linking) worked was trying to get an OpenGL application to compile and run. Even though it wasn't my own code, I did learn a good bit just by doing something random (included some minor debugging as well), and I was successful after a couple nights. So, I learn by looking through samples of what I'm interested in, hand copy it down several times over while studying how each piece works, and modify and eventually, apply it to my own ends.

smakme7757

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2010
I used books in the start. The A to B to C to D approach created an easy learning curve and i could follow what was going on. There are nice courses online, but a book it just a nice way to get into programming.

Once you are more self sufficient then online resources become an easier option as you usually know what you're after.