do you know why Americans are fat?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Because poor-quality food is cheaper and more readily available than high quality food.

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
think about it, if we ever go into nuclear winter from an asteroid or the obvious nuclear war, americans will last the longest without food.

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
Originally posted by: JohnCU
think about it, if we ever go into nuclear winter from an asteroid or the obvious nuclear war, americans will last the longest without food.

Especially once they invnent *twinkie* pizzas!

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Unfortunately, all this attention just makes me want to go to Domino's to try this out. Otherwise, I never would have known about this.

In retail, any publicity is good publicity.;)

Originally posted by: jjzelinski

Especially once they invnent *twinkie* pizzas!
And then deep-fry them, followed by a glazing of sugar.

NiteWulf

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2003
High fructose corn syrup and white flour.
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
Because poor-quality food is cheaper and more readily available than high quality food.

And that

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Because they eat more calories than they burn.

Saint Michael

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2007

So we'll take longer to die of starvation? Whoopee.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: TecHNooB
Fat is a sign of wealth. USA! USA! USA!

It used to be before the proliferation of el cheapo manufactured junk food which is high in calories but low on nutrition. Now fat is more a sign of dumbness.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: TecHNooB
Fat is a sign of wealth. USA! USA! USA!

In other countries it is, but here it is our poor who are the fattest.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Saint Michael
Originally posted by: 3NF
Sugar & Grains

If you eat crap, you're going to look and feel like crap.

http://www.mercola.com/2003/dec/17/feel_younger.htm

Maybe, too bad Mercola and his ilk are bullshit artists.
"Unfortunately, the body is not designed to accommodate these unnaturally high levels of insulin spiked by grains and sugars."
:laugh:

Right, no sugars, like those in things like fruits and vegetables, foods we evolved to eat. Mhmm.

"Through the Western addiction to grains, sweets, soft drinks, and high-starch foods like potatoes, the modern diet virtually guarantees that not only will a majority of the population become overweight, but they will also look and feel much older than they should."
Somehow, I don't think that things like potatoes are contributing to us being overweight. Eating a full pack of Oreos and a few pints of ice cream in one day might have more to do with it. There's also the fact that we don't need to go wandering for hours to find naturally growing food, or exert a lot of energy hunting down something meaty. Now we drive to the grocery store to load up on calories, but we haven't adjusted our intakes accordingly. THAT is what's causing the obesity problem.

Fruits and vegetables make you feel full due to their high fiber and water content, while carrying relatively few calories for a given volume.

The only benefits that will come from that page will go directly to "Dr" Joseph Mercola, in the form of money for his books.

And what the heck does that guy have against potatoes? He mentions them quite a bit throughout the website.

The dangers of sugar:D
62. Your body changes sugar into 2 to 5 times more fat in the bloodstream than it does starch.
But wait, I thought starch, such as in those evil potatoes, wasn't good either?

73. Sugar may induce cell death.
So can prolonged exposure to time.

76. Sugar can cause gum disease.
Bacteria and their excretions cause gum disease.

68. I.V.s (intravenous feedings) of sugar water can cut off oxygen to your brain.
My god, I had an intestinal infection when I was younger - I couldn't keep anything down, not even water. They weren't giving me an IV to keep me alive, they were trying to finish me off!

58. Sugar is an addictive substance.
These are great, aren't they? Well hey, I guess emotional attachment is also addicitve behavior, isn't it?

49. Sugar can cause an increase in delta, alpha, and theta brain waves which can alter your mind's ability to think clearly.
Golly, I start to get really irritable when my blood sugar drops after forgetting to eat for a few hours.

And many many more. Enjoy. If they were all true, the entire population of the world should have died off a few years after sugar cane reached widespread use.

How to sleep better
"Avoid before-bed snacks, particularly grains and sugars."
Followed by:
"Also eat a small piece of fruit."

No snacks. Fruit is not a snack. Fruit also does not contain sugar.

Damn, that site is hilarious. They sell special salt. "Typical table salt crystals are totally isolated from each other. In order for your body to try to metabolize table salt crystals, it must sacrifice tremendous amounts of energy."
Well good, if it needs to use a lot of energy to, um, dissolve that salt, then maybe it'll help you lose weight, no?

They also sell "special" CFL's. $20 each. Yes, very special. :)