Do you keep friends on myspace or facebook that never talk to you?

Accipiter22

Banned
Feb 11, 2005
I've always found it curious that on Facebook, Myspace, and other "social utilities" there seems to be the trend of having like 500 friends in your network. Yet most people don't even talk to 95% of them, so wtf is the point of having them on your list? I've got maybe 30-40 on my friends list on each of those and I talk to them fairly regularly. What's even more annoying is when someone adds me, I talk to them, and they never reply...why the fizzuck did you even add me if you don't want to talk??

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
Of the people I don't see face-to-face often, I talk to about 2-3 of my online "friends"...it's just an easy way for me to keep track of people if I need them.

acegazda

Platinum Member
May 14, 2006
I talk to about 75 of my 400 friends from different networks. I don't go to the public high school in my town so I've got my friends at home that I talk to, then my friends from school that I talk to, then my friends from swim team that I talk to.

Accipiter22

Banned
Feb 11, 2005
Originally posted by: nycxandy
They are NETWORKING sites.

having someone on your friends list =/= networking.

Originally posted by: acegazda
I talk to about 75 of my 400 friends from different networks. I don't go to the public high school in my town so I've got my friends at home that I talk to, then my friends from school that I talk to, then my friends from swim team that I talk to.

who are the other 325 or so people then?

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
I have 15 on Facebook and less than that in myspace, and most of them are co-workers.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Wow co-workers? Co-workers are THE people i actively try not get to get on my Facebook (and my parents).

Oct 13, 2006
I'm tring to add more random people because i'm thinking it could be sorta investment for the future if your gonna market something and use facebook to advertise...like i donno, a survey, or your selling something like a t-shirt...

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Armen
I'm tring to add more random people because i'm thinking it could be sorta investment for the future if your gonna market something and use facebook to advertise...like i donno, a survey, or your selling something like a t-shirt...

Oh man, I love Myspace spam... I never add anyone I don't know as a friend, but if I did and they ever spammed me they'd be off my list.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
no, i have ~150 and i talk to all of them, or at the very least keep in touch (with those from high school)

jdini76

Platinum Member
Mar 16, 2001
I have over 100 friends on my list. I personally know 95% of them. I may not talk to them regularly but I can if I need to. Thats why i have them on my list.

But you are right there are a lot of people out there that are friend whores. They feel the need to add everyone they see. I think that is stupid.

imported_Devine

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2006
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: Armen

Oh man, I love Myspace spam... I never add anyone I don't know as a friend, but if I did and they ever spammed me they'd be off my list.

I'm the same way, even people that spam bulletins piss me off :)

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Kind of like AIM. I have like 100 buddies on AIM, but I actually talk to about ten of them eight of them regularly.

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
I have exactly 300 friends on facebook. I don't have nearly as many on myspace, don't really care for myspace.

acegazda

Platinum Member
May 14, 2006
Originally posted by: Accipiter22
Originally posted by: nycxandy
They are NETWORKING sites.

having someone on your friends list =/= networking.

Originally posted by: acegazda

who are the other 325 or so people then?

acquaintances. I may or may not talk to them

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001
its like a directory of all the people you know... many times, it comes in handy when you need to contact someone. you don't have to talk to people regularly just to be their 'friend' or acquaintance.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
It's always useful to have those acquiantances on the off chance you need to contact them again.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Mo0o
It's always useful to have those acquiantances on the off chance you need to contact them again.

:thumbsup:

What should anyone else care if you have lots of people added as friends?

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
I try to limit my "friends" to people I've actually talked to and would want to be friends with. I hate it when random people or people you said hello to Facebook you.