Do you invert your Y-axis? (Poll)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CreatorEternal

Nov 11, 2007
I've been using inverted ever since I started using a mouse playing FPS games, been so long I don't ever remember which game I started with.

I saw only one answer pertaining to this and I will add on to his point. FPSs allow you to control the players head, and tilting your head forward causes you to look down.
In my opinion inverted is actually the most accurate way to control an FPS but it comes down to how somebody's brain works, something similar to right/left hand people.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Originally posted by: techgamer
I seem to prefer non-inverted for FPS and inverted axis for simulators

Same. Can't shoot for shit in an FPS with inverted, but I do a nose dive with my plane when non-inverted.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Originally posted by: BD2003
Originally posted by: Eghck
Originally posted by: warcrow
non-inverted, for consoles I invert though.

You swtich back and forth? :shocked:

Yup, same here. Its strange...I absolutely can not play inverted and PC and non-inverted for dual analog.

My explaination

Before FPS's made it to consoles, there were flight games which always had you pushing up to go down. Whether it was first person view or third, I guess with consoles I've always felt more comfortable with the inverted Y axis.

When PC FPS's came out with Mouse control, I started with non-inverted. I don't make any sense, I know, for instance with Halo PC or Doom 3 PC I'll play non inverted, but if it's on Xbox I'll play inverted, Im a weirdo.

Pretty much. Its all about moving the crosshair - any sort of stick makes me feel like I'm piloting a plane, but the mouse, you just directly move where you want it.

Its pretty crazy how its nearly impossible to switch easily.

I agree. In an FPS, you're moving a cursor. It's not like you're tilting a whole plane, and furthermore the mouse is not tilting, but sliding.

BUT on an XBOX where you play with a stick, I can ONLY play Halo (the few times I have) with it inverted. The motion of the joystick emulates the angling of the gun. It's at all like moving a cursor as you would with a mouse.

But to complcate matters even further, when I use my little mouse pointer analog stick thingy on my wireless keyboard, I don't invert. :p

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Definitely inverted.

Why? Push your head forward and your view moves down. Pull your head back and your view moves up.

In 3D the mouse should act the same as your head.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Inverted with a mouse in an FPS is pretty strange if you ask me.

Non-inverted seems odd to me. It's kinda like flying a plane. :p
mouse = cursor

mousing surface = screen

move the mouse up and left on the surface, the cursor mimics and goes up and to the left

In a FPS, your reticle becomes the cursor, only the cursor stays fixed in the middle of the screen.

I do the same thing. A mouse is not a joystick...

Originally posted by: BFG10K
Definitely inverted.

Why? Push your head forward and your view moves down. Pull your head back and your view moves up.

Yes, but you can also think of this as pulling your head down or pushing your head up...

Might as well invert the X axis as well, because you can also think of it as pulling to the left in order to look right (or vice versa) if the pull is occurring at the back of the head :roll:

There is no right or wrong on this. Whatever works for you is fine.

For me the mouse acts as an interface between me and the computer. When I want my reticle on the screen to go up and to the left, my mouse (which acts as the physical form of the virtual reticle) needs to go up and to the left.

If I'm tracing a target and the target is moving in an 'S' pattern, then I simply trace out an S with my mouse.

BTW, this argument is just about as silly as trying to determine which hand is the correct hand to write with...whichever works best for you is what you should use.

Sheninat0r

Jun 8, 2007
Non-inverted for everything... and I mean everything. Inverted controls piss the hell out of me.

acole1

Golden Member
Sep 28, 2005
I used to on my FPS games on PC... but for some reason I stopped doing it. :confused:

Now I play PC non-inverted, but on 360 it must be inverted.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles

mouse = cursor

mousing surface = screen

move the mouse up and left on the surface, the cursor mimics and goes up and to the left

In a FPS, your reticle becomes the cursor, only the cursor stays fixed in the middle of the screen.

Definitely inverted.

Yes, but you can also think of this as pulling your head down or pushing your head up...

Might as well invert the X axis as well, because you can also think of it as pulling to the left in order to look right (or vice versa) if the pull is occurring at the back of the head :roll:

For me the mouse acts as an interface between me and the computer. When I want my reticle on the screen to go up and to the left, my mouse (which acts as the physical form of the virtual reticle) needs to go up and to the left.

If I'm tracing a target and the target is moving in an 'S' pattern, then I simply trace out an S with my mouse.

BTW, this argument is just about as silly as trying to determine which hand is the correct hand to write with...whichever works best for you is what you should use.

I'm not sure who's arguing.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles

mouse = cursor

mousing surface = screen

Definitely inverted.

I'm not sure who's arguing.

Exactly, my argument is that there is no right or wrong way here, that there is no justification that is 100% sound in supporting use either way that makes you some sort of idiot or chump for not using a certain method.

Thus this thread is and should be just a census thread where we learn about the preferences of the population. I don't want to be told that my favorite color is wrong just like how I don't want to be told using a non-inverted mouse is wrong.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Jadow
I invert AND have my own custom key bindings.

Mouse thumb button runs forward, right button runs backward, strafe with arrow keys. no waSD for me.

Me too:

Right mouse run, left fire, thumb button reload, etc

Strafe with , & . left shift run, / is backwards, space jump, CTRL crouch and ; is use.

Brunnis

Nov 15, 2004
Inverted, ever since I started PC gaming back in '94 or something. It probably has to do with playing loads of Tie Fighter and Descent back in the day, where I mostly used a joystick. Going from joystick to mouse, it obviously felt strange to move the mouse forward to look up and vice-versa. People have tried to explain to me that I should view the reticle as a cursor, but I've never really seen it that way so it feels kind of strange... :)

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Non-inverted. Inverted makes no sense to me.

Originally posted by: Anubis
i invert Y-axis for consoles and PC FPS games

i invert X-axis for WoW :Q

I don't know how WoW works, but I've played third person games where I've wanted to invert the X axis. In some games, when you press right it turns your body to the right. In other games when you press right, it moves the CAMERA to the right (counter-clockwise if you were looking straight down at the character and camera) - so your body turns to the left. I forget which one I prefer, but there have been games that were unplayable for me because of this.

TSDible

Golden Member
Nov 4, 1999
Inverted....

It seems that long ago I started playing a game where that was the default and it has stuck with me ever since. I've tried to switch back... I can't do it.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
More old school gamers invert than new school gamers do I have noticed. Inverted is the only way to play, imo. Not inverted is like using arrow keys.