Do you install QuickTime and REAL Player?

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
When the media players nowadays play .mov and .rm files seemlessly without the need for codecs even. Do you even bother installing QuickTime or REAL Player?

The reason I am asking because I remember a couple of years back, when I install a few Adobe Photoshop plugins, they tell me that I need to install QuickTime for them to work properly which I never seemed to get why. What does QuickTime (which is a video player) have anything to do with those plugins? And do you think nowadays we need these 2 programs?

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Not really sure what quicktime has to do with adobe. I haven't seen that before and these days i don't install either one.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
Not really sure what quicktime has to do with adobe. I haven't seen that before and these days i don't install either one.

Oh it's not Adobe exactly, it's the plugins

I used to install the KPT Effects Plugins and the Xenofex Plugin and at the end of the installation, if you didn't have QuickTime installed, they will ask you to install Quicktime to ensure complete functionality.

And i'm thinking......what funcitonality for god's sake......what does a Photoshop Plugin have to do with a video player? :eek::rolleyes:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I install QT alternative and Real Alternative. Its just a basic plugin that makes those video types work, without installing the actual crap.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I can echo what Red Squirrel says. I find QT to be pervasively intrusive. For .MOV files, etc., I use SMPlayer. The website even features your avatar! :) http://smplayer.sourceforge.net/

Last edited:

lowrider69

Aug 26, 2004
I used to install Quicktime and Real Player back in the day, I don't now. I installed Windows 7 in early 2010 and never installed either and I won't. It's amazing I never had a need to install any of them in two years now. I use Media Player 12 or VLC and that's it.

Same goes for Java, never installed it for Windows 7 and I won't, no use for it.

boochi

May 21, 2011
I still install it so I can watch streaming Apple Movie Trailers. I have not found another player that plays them. Please tell me if something else works because I hate everything Apple with a passion. MPC-HC does not work.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
But why would you install that if VLC or MPC-Home Cinema plays everything out of the box? just out of interest

That's a good question. My answer is because the only thing I needed QT for was .mov files, and at the time, that was the easiest solution. I knew nothing about VLC. My standard movie player for several years as been PowerDVD. Reality is, I rarely have the time to watch movies on my computers.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
I still install it so I can watch streaming Apple Movie Trailers. I have not found another player that plays them. Please tell me if something else works because I hate everything Apple with a passion. MPC-HC does not work.

you can use VLC for this

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006

VLC and PotPlayer play them with - problems. They actually play any file you can think of, RM, MOV, 3GP, DivX, 3ivX, FLAC, AAC, MP4, you name it