Do you have working smoke alarms and a fire extinguisher in your home?

• Yes

• No

• Comedy option

Results are only viewable after voting.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yes, though I'd like to add more, and set them up so I can monitor through my home automation system. I do have one smoke detector that is monitored by my alarm company though, but they're 100 bucks a pop so I'd want to go the DIY route for the rest. Probably go with 1 per room. If a piece of electronics goes up in flames and the door is closed by the time it gets to the main detector and fire dept gets there it's probably too late and I'll lose the house.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Yes, though I'd like to add more, and set them up so I can monitor through my home automation system. I do have one smoke detector that is monitored by my alarm company though, but they're 100 bucks a pop so I'd want to go the DIY route for the rest. Probably go with 1 per room. If a piece of electronics goes up in flames and the door is closed by the time it gets to the main detector and fire dept gets there it's probably too late and I'll lose the house.
You need you a halon system.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I have the fire alarms that are linked and powered from the wall. In the kitchen I placed a fire blanket instead of the fire extinguisher since that kept losing pressure and we wouldn't remember to recharge it. Also have two smaller cans for other use.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I have wireless smoke alarms that are tied into the alarm system. I also have several extinguishers but I need to remember to check them more often.

Blanky

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2014
Of course, they are ultra cheap and ultra effective. A large number of people who in house fires don't have one.

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005
Yup. Second best fire protection you can get.

But, whenever I'm at the house, I also have a career firefighter/paramedic on standby just in case.

His rates are reasonable, he works mostly for beer and occasional use of my wife.

Blanky

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2014
Yup. Second best fire protection you can get.

But, whenever I'm at the house, I also have a career firefighter/paramedic on standby just in case.

His rates are reasonable, he works mostly for beer and occasional use of my wife.
Does he ever make you watch?

Nov 20, 2009
Although I do appreciate the fact that the alarms may save the lives at hand I secret am willing to let my home burn to the ground to get it rebuilt to a better build quality.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
I have smoke detectors throughout the house that are connected to the main power with battery backups. I also have overhead sprinkler system to extinguish fires.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
Yep. Two smoke detectors, one wired into the power that came with the house and second battery powered connected to my alarm system. Fire extinguisher in the kitchen.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
When I bought my house it had only one smoke detector from the 90s upstairs in the hallway. I put new smoke detectors in each of the 4 bedrooms including one in the hallway, a photoelectric detector in the kitchen and a smoke detector in the basement. Total of 7 SD all hardwired to household AC and networked to each other.

I have a extinguisher in the garage and basement.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
We have four smoke / heat detectors and two fire extinguishers. I'm all electric so have no need for CO detectors.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Yup, smart-enabled alarms that send alerts to my phone, plus an extinguisher in the kitchen & by the patio door for the grill. The new alarms have 10-year batteries, no excuse not to get at least something to protect yourself & your home!