Do you have to remove the heat transfer plate to fit an Athlon with a GFD?

Noriaki

Lifer
Jun 3, 2000
I'm looking at some guides on removing your Athlon casing to get at the GFD port...my question is if you remove just the plastic casing can you get to the GFD port, or do you have to remove the heat transfer plate also ?

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
No reason to remove the heatplate, the only reason you should have to remove the heatplate is to check your cpu's core speed. If you remove the plate then you are going to have a hard time attaching the heatsink again.

Noriaki

Lifer
Jun 3, 2000
Ok good I don't really want to remove the heatplate...looks to easy to damage something, but I think I can get the plastic off pretty easy.

Thanks, Bakwetu the more the merrier.

Will not having the plastic case on make it harder to mount a big heavy heatsink ?

Bakwetu

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
jonnyG recommends using something flat and wide to bend the casing up (won't damage the casing so much as when using a screwdriver).

No, the casing has nothing to do with the heatsink fixation, but you won't be able to use that plastic cpu retention thingie. Usually it is not needed as the cpu sits firmly anyway. I first took off my casing, installed a gfd, then put it back on (notched it for the gfd and installed a fan on the back of the cpu, which I attached to the plastic casing)- didn't help my overclocking, but I can use the cpu retention now.