Do you have to make love in-order to be in love?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

joey1412

Oct 30, 2000
Good point fragarific.

I think I saw that line in the "101 things you should know about life" handbook.
:)

joey1412

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
no, but being in love, makes "making love" much more....loveable :)

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Of course not, it might work the other way around (if you believe that sex and making love are indeed different). He is trying to get some sweet lovin!

sweetrobin

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2000
Now HoopDawg .. you cant possibly think I would get myself in trouble with e_mc_2 by doing that now do ya??? I know which side my bread is buttered on ... ;)

e_mc_2

Oct 9, 1999
love is up 2 u. and sex is part of the whole spectrum. sometimes it takes sex to get past sex(if hormones are raging, they are some powerfull stuff.) The best advise I can give is that they should seek out education and explore all the possiblities. Not to discount sex, but make it part of the love.

joey1412

Oct 30, 2000
But what if she is really into him? She may not want to lose him over a difference of opinion. There's no doubt men love sex. It's a significant drive in us...

joey1412

~zonker~

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2000
It's been my experience that when women are in love they have just as much desire for sex as men, which is a key difference between the two gneders (most often). Men don't need good love for 'good' sex typically.

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
Her giving him something she is not sure she wants to is more than a difference of opinion. Sex should only be when both people are in total agreement, not because you run the risk of losing them if you don't put out. Any man who told me he was leaving because he could not get any would get the enjoyment of the door slapping him on the ass on the way out it.

joey1412

Oct 30, 2000
Thanks for the input girlfriday. I was by no means defending the guy. Just wanted to get some opinions. :)

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Well said, GirlFriday. I think that while sex / lovemaking is a large part of a close relationship, it is by FAR not completely necessary. I was completely in love with my last gf for the first year and a half before we ever made love. I tend to have very "un-guy-like" views on this matter, as I see a HUGE difference between making love and having sex. I really, really dislike the latter. Most guys feel that they can't be emotionally attached to a girl unless they have a physical relationship. Depending on the guy, it's either a ploy or a societally-induced "mental block" against having a nonphysical relationship.

I have no idea what I just said. Excuse me while I go take my ritalin. :p

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
joey1412: Oops, sorry if I came off a bit bitchy to you in my post. I did not mean to direct that towards you at all. This is just one of those things that makes me so mad with some men. ;)

Suicidal

Banned
Jul 23, 2000
Oh my god, if you listen to Viper, you're gonna become a priest. Just follow your heart AND your brain, let things fall into place. I've been going out with the same girl for 5 years now and every time i see her it's like falling in love for the first time all over again. Sex is an important part of a relationship, if you don't think it is, ask the guy who's not getting any. Sex can bring you closer together, pre-marital or not. So yes and no to your question. Sex has nothing to do with puppy love but for anything more than that, it's vital.

joey1412

Oct 30, 2000
Not only that, it gives us guys a bad name. Which doesn't make me particularly proud, given that I've often been accused of "guy-ness."

Regine

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2000
I believe that you need to be in love in order to make love. I'd just consider it sex otherwise....

Zucchini

Banned
Dec 10, 1999
Which brings up the question on a marriage without sex... i can't see how that is good. One could probably tolerate it i suppose.

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
Suicidal: Just because Viper GTS chooses to live his life the way he does, there is no reason to make fun of him for it. I for one have alot of respect for a man who can control himself until he is married. If there were more people in the world like him, there would be less disease and unwanted children.

Total Refected Power

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Can't base a marriage on sex. But a love-filled marriage will have an expression of love manifested in physical love. Could you have a good marriage without sex? I am sure there are.

Suicidal

Banned
Jul 23, 2000
GIRLFRIDAY:I wasn't making fun of him... christ, you people on this forum take everything so seriously. I'm glad you have a lot of respect for him, it makes my life so much better knowing that.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Suicidal, you've had a personal vendetta against Viper GTS since the first day you slithered your way onto this board.

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
Suicidal: You did not have to single him out in your post, like vi_edit said, you have had a problem with him from day one. No wonder my comment improved your life, since you obviously don't have much of one.

extra

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
the bigger question is, do you have to be in love to make love???
hah

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
I wish suicidal would just do it already...
I think you can have a marriage without sex, but I don't think its necessarily a "complete" marriage...

ArMs

Oct 22, 1999
Nope, I have been (and still am) in love. I'm not even dating this girl (but with a lot of luck, maybe one day), but I love her, and well, needless to say, I never got that far.

sweetrobin

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2000
Two people can make love with out being IN love ... two people who love each other and care for each other with out being in love with each other can make love. That happens sometimes between close friends. But its better if two people are truly in love and committed to each other ... Then there is just no beating it :). Its the absolute best . Let me tell you ... for those of you who havent found it yet I will keep my fingers crossed for you that you will find it :) there is nothing better. I try to never take for granted how wonderful my fiance is and how lucky I am to have him ... lol and if for any reason I start to forget he makes sure to remind me lol.