Do you have a best friend?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
My dad.
True, its lame.
But he's actually pretty cool and we get along. So it works.

Being in the Navy you cant keep friends. Moving around every three years kind of puts the clamp on bonds.
He knew it too. Besides, most of his friends never came back from Vietnam. I think he wanted to have a guaranteed best friend.
Every year when I went home on leave he was there, so he's been most reliable and solid friend ever.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
The term "best friend" is a stupid one, at best. I prefer to just have "good friends."

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Aflac
The term "best friend" is a stupid one, at best. I prefer to just have "good friends."

You have no one you would rather be around than anyone else?

MoPHo

Platinum Member
Dec 16, 2003
i have two, my female neighbor who i've known since i was about 4 and the other is a guy who i've known since 1st grade.

i guess they are my best friends because i've known them for so long and they've never dicked me over.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Zysoclaplem
Originally posted by: Aflac

You have no one you would rather be around than anyone else?

I do, but 1) I don't have a GF, and 2)I have several friends that I would prefer over other friends. Thus, I have no one "BEST" friend, I have "better" friends.

does that make sense? or am I rambling?

Dec 27, 2001
Ya. He's a friend I've had since we were about 7 or 8 and we're both almost now 30 and both have careers in computers and share some common hobbies and played on the JV basketball team together one year. We even had a brief love triangle going back in high school, so there's not much missing.

L

Lola

my husband.
i tell him everything, we are there for each other when great things happen and when we need someone to lean on. If that is not the definition of a best friend, i don't know what is.

Josh123

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2002
One is my current GF and the other is a guy i've know since 7th grade, pretty much my other brother.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: LolaWiz
my husband.
i tell him everything, we are there for each other when great things happen and when we need someone to lean on. If that is not the definition of a best friend, i don't know what is.
Thats interesting.
Just about every happy wife I've ever met has said the exact same thing.

You marry your best friend.

And this is usually coming from women that have tried it two or three times. If they finally get to be really, truly happy then I guess they know a little something about life.

RallyMaster

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2004
I have a few good friends. I never take favorites for the most part. Good friends provide you with emotional and physical backing.

Dec 27, 2001
my husband.

I would never cheapen my wife's status by referencing her in the friend category....even best friend.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
my husband.

I would never cheapen my wife's status by referencing her in the friend category....even best friend.

How is that cheapening anything? I actually find it to be much more endearing than just calling her "wife" or calling him "husband."

LanceM

Mar 13, 2004
My fiancee, definitely. We only met in 2002, but immediately began dating and moved in together very shortly after that. Lucky for me we're getting married on the 14th of this month.

Dec 27, 2001
my husband.

How is that cheapening anything? I actually find it to be much more endearing than just calling her "wife" or calling him "husband."

Calling somebody a best friend is like calling one car sleeker looking than another.....it's a judgement based on a category. You wouldn't say a Saab Griffin is the sleekest looking car, right? I'm saying my wife isn't even in the category.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Yes.

Known him since kindergarten, we have been friends ever since, even while going to separate high schools. Coming up on 20 years of friendship now, damn I'm getting old. Out of all my friends he's the one I trust the most by far.

misle

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
I have a best friend. Our parents were good friends and we were born 6 months apart. We grew up together, kinda like the brother I never had.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
I have a best mate i suppose.

He's someone i feel totally comfortable drinking with/hitting the pubs/playing video games, going fishing etc...i trust him with my back.

Probably the only person i'd discuss problems with the gf with too, thankfully there've been few of them over the past four years :)

I would never put my gf in a 'mate' context myself. I love her to bits, and i love spending time with her, but not in the same way.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Yeah. He's the son of my dad's close friend. I've known him since I was 6 and he was 2. We're kind of like brothers, though.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
my husband.

Calling somebody a best friend is like calling one car sleeker looking than another.....it's a judgement based on a category. You wouldn't say a Saab Griffin is the sleekest looking car, right? I'm saying my wife isn't even in the category.

No. Calling someone your best friend is like calling one car more important for you for reasons known to others and lots of reasons only known to you.
Unless you choose your best friend based on who is sleeker looking...lol.
A best friend is something deeper than just friendship. A bond if you will.
Alot of people consider their significant other to be their best friend. But that does not mean that is all that the person is to them. It's a small part of something bigger.