Do you hate it when people greet you with "What's up?"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

luv2chill

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
Why do you care? It's just another way of saying hello. Do you hate it when someone says "hi" or "greetings" also? "What's up" (and its many variations) has the same connotations as "hello" does (well at least to anyone who hasn't been living under a rock for the last few years).

In fact, if you want to get detailed, asking someone "What's up" is actually a nicer greeting than "hello" because with the former your asking the person how/what they're doing as well as greeting him or her. "Hello" is simply a greeting.

Live and let live, dude. It's just words.

l2c

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
What would you rather have them say?

"Greetings good sir, how be you on this fine Summer day? Let us chat about current events happening in each of our lives."

Translation: "Sup."

MrCraphead

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
saying, "Hello, how are you today?" is a bit too formal for me. :) If anything, I'll initially greet someone with a "hey, how's it going?" but not something you'd learn from kindergarden english. :)

Bosec

Jul 2, 2001
I hate the responses worse.

Whats up?
the ceiling
the sky
Me!

Sigh

I prefer .... Wasssabi

kvelouria

Jun 18, 2001
What's up is overused. Usually I use "what's happenin'" or "how's it going" or even "howdy, y'all," when I'm feeling a little country.

The thing that bugs me the most is when you see two people on the street and one goes "sup" and the second one goes "sup" and that's the end of the conversation. Boggles the mind.

LukFilm

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Yes. It was extremely confusing to me when I came to this country five years ago and people greeted me this way. I had NO idea what that meant and was always looking in the sky to find out what was up :)