Do you hate Fortune 500 company CEOs?

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
You hear about their exuberent salaries and stock options being increased everyday, while at the same time, they are moving jobs overseas and just looking out for their own bottom line. Does this make you hate CEOs?

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
No, it makes me applaud them for their good business sense. It is in the interests of their laid off employees to demonstrate their usefulness, to demonstrate that they are irreplaceable.

Stallion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2000
I work for a place tha thas laid off over 35,000 people and they are sending work to the lowest bidder. Why, beacuse some 3rd world country will do our work for pennies on the dollar and that dollar is all the CEOs give a shait about. If these numbnuts are so worried about the economy and the work load why don't they show how much the care buy taking a pay cut ,to show the employees that the whole company is in dire straits and they are a part of the company just like joe employee.

Hell no, they continue to give them selves raises and bonuses at the expense of works jobs. They don't give a rats ass and that is the feelings of everyone that still works here.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Stallion
I work for a place tha thas laid off over 35,000 people and they are sending work to the lowest bidder. Why, beacuse some 3rd world country will do our work for pennies on the dollar and that dollar is all the CEOs give a shait about. If these numbnuts are so worried about the economy and the work load why don't they show how much the care buy taking a pay cut ,to show the employees that the whole company is in dire straits and they are a part of the company just like joe employee.

Hell no, they continue to give them selves raises and bonuses at the expense of works jobs. They don't give a rats ass and that is the feelings of everyone that still works here.

It's not the CEO's job to worry about the economy. His job is to provide the most return on the dollar for the stockholders. His compensation package is determined by the board of directors so I doubt he gives himself a raise.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001

Last time I checked, you were allowed to incorporate on your own. Why don't you start a corporation and hire all the fired employees? I am sure with your irreplaceable skills you will have no trouble finding a market for your goods.

MangoTBG

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Orsorum

Last time I checked, you were allowed to incorporate on your own. Why don't you start a corporation and hire all the fired employees? I am sure with your irreplaceable skills you will have no trouble finding a market for your goods.

Then once they have a good sized company and they're racking in the millions/billions, they can go overseas, lay off a wholebunch of people and hire cheap labor.

As CEO they don't care about you. They don't care about me. They have one reason with a company that size, and that reason is to make money. As much money, as possable.

They aren't a charity organization. Get over it.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It's not the CEO's job to worry about the economy. His job is to provide the most return on the dollar for the stockholders. His compensation package is determined by the board of directors so I doubt he gives himself a raise
True, it's not his/her job to worry about the economy. But, let me point out:

1) Some CEOs have been horrible and providing returns for the stockholders.

2) Most times, they have a "pay for performance package" - that pays them well before they "perform" - kind of like putting the cart before the horse if you ask me.

3) Finally, the CEO can be "friends" with the directors who are on the compensation committee. in that case, it's almost as good as the CEO determining their own increase amount for their pay.

4) I can't tell you the number of times that I've heard CEOs say: "our people are our most important assett" - only to lay off thousands of fine "people" in the following months.

Just something to think about ....

Stallion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2000
Boy, no wonder a bunch of people left this place. We have some self rightious asses here.

What did you do, take a class on economics at your local community collage and know your a huge asset to every big buisness out there.

WTF do you know about any one single employer. Your stats are just a blanket statement and can't be used for every situation.

And while I know the CEO and what nots are trying to make the stock holders happy wouldn't it also be a morale booster for the rest of the company if the yput them selves on a smaller income.

Lee Iacoca (sp) did it and I'm sure he didn't lose his house or car.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Boy, no wonder a bunch of people left this place. We have some self rightious asses here.

What did you do, take a class on economics at your local community collage and know your a huge asset to every big buisness out there.

WTF do you know about any one single employer. Your stats are just a blanket statement and can't be used for every situation.

And while I know the CEO and what nots are trying to make the stock holders happy wouldn't it also be a morale booster for the rest of the company if the yput them selves on a smaller income.

I'm an economics major as an undergrad, future lawyer and CPA. If that doesn't get me a position somewhere or the ability to be a consultant, then I'll retrain as something else.

Stop your whining and take responsibility for your own economic future.

Stallion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2000

I'm an economics major as an undergrad, future lawyer and CPA. If that doesn't get me a position somewhere or the ability to be a consultant, then I'll retrain as something else.

Whining? Bite me dork. The man asked for my opinion and I gave it. I know I wasn't promised a job till I retire so it's no sweat off my sack.

Oh, and your neat little resume is sure to turn on all the hotties as you work the fry machine at McDonalds till you make your big break in the lawyer feild.

Now STFU and move on.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Oh, and your neat little resume is sure to turn on all the hotties as you work the fry machine at McDonalds till you make your big break in the lawyer field.
That's it !!! The signature that I've been looking for. :D :D :D :D :D

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Tiles2Tech
Oh, and your neat little resume is sure to turn on all the hotties as you work the fry machine at McDonalds till you make your big break in the lawyer field.
That's it !!! The signature that I've been looking for. :D :D :D :D :D

Agreed, that was a rather witty retort.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Oh, by that time, all of the jobs will be "off-shored."

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Whining? Bite me dork. The man asked for my opinion and I gave it. I know I wasn't promised a job till I retire so it's no sweat off my sack.

Oh, and your neat little resume is sure to turn on all the hotties as you work the fry machine at McDonalds till you make your big break in the lawyer feild.

Now STFU and move on.

Why should I move on? You're the one making statements about organizations, either back up your statements or stop making personal attacks.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Tiles2Tech
Oh, by that time, all of the jobs will be "off-shored."

Then I'll move there and work there. So?

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
The job of a CEO is to raise(or keep at the same level nowadays) stock prices for investors. Not very many CEOs get paid more than they are worth, because those are the ones that are quickly removed from office.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Not very many CEOs get paid more than they are worth, because those are the ones that are quickly removed from office.
Even if they do get "removed" from office, they ensured that when their contracts were drawn up, there was a sufficient "golden parachute" that would keep them set financially for life.

Stallion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2000

Now STFU and move on.

Why should I move on? You're the one making statements about organizations, either back up your statements or stop making personal attacks.

If I remember correctly ,it was you who made a snide little remark to me first.

" Why don't you start a corporation and hire all the fired employees? I am sure with your irreplaceable skills you will have no trouble finding a market for your goods. "

So you started the personal attacks chump, I just should of known better then to try and compete with a University man as L33T as yourself. I am clearly way in over my head and can't possible know jack shait about a company that I have worked at for the past 16 years.

So I gracefully bow out and crown you king of the all knowing.

CChaos

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2003
I imagine that if a "reduction in force" is a good cost-cutting technique to keep our stock price high, then scaling back the $20 million dollar bonus to the CEO might also be a good one. If nobody gets a raise, that's fine. If bonuses aren't what they used to be that' fine. But if the old men at the top keep taking a bigger piece of a smaller pie than what does that do for the morale of your employees? It's hard to hear them say they want a leaner organization when you watch them get fatter and fatter. Of course I'm a lazy fvck and hardly an asset to this place so I probably shouldn't complain.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
No. In fact I love them.

More money for me.

I'd also be willing to bet that those who "hate" fortune 500 CEOs haven't worked very long. You could be one too if you work hard enough and further your education.

phantom309

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2002

You're a college student. You know jack sh1t about the real world.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
Originally posted by: spidey07
No. In fact I love them.

More money for me.

I'd also be willing to bet that those who "hate" fortune 500 CEOs haven't worked very long. You could be one too if you work hard enough and further your education.

I prefer to keep my soul, thank you very much

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Turin39789
Originally posted by: spidey07
No. In fact I love them.

More money for me.

I prefer to keep my soul, thank you very much

And just how would becoming an executive make you lose your soul? How many do you know? Does your career allow you to interact with them?

The executives I know truly make the world a better place. Not just by providing jobs and goods/services but by donating huge sums of money to local events, charities, etc.